• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pitman

4x4life05

NAXJA Forum User
To make a long story short...how do I take off the OEM pitman arm so I can put the longer one on? I've tried everythin and can't get the damn thing to budgeHasta !!!!! Please help I'm going crazy!!!:wow:

pitman arm puller? avoild the cheapo ones, ive broken a couple of those. PB blast it, and tap it with a hammer first.

okay yeah I asked for it, but I dont have the ability to get one right now, is there anything else i can use?

Why are you changing it?Your posts indicate your rig is stock!

RCP Phx said:
Why are you changing it?Your posts indicate your rig is stock!

actually it has a 3" lift and I didn't like the angle it was giving the knuckle on my tie rod.

4x4life05 said:
actually it has a 3" lift and I didn't like the angle it was giving the knuckle on my tie rod.
OK, good point RCP, YOU DONT NEED A DROP PITMAN. unless you drop the track bar, leave it alone, bolt it back up.

4x4life05 said:
If thats your concern then look into the Currie set-up.You DONT want a drop arm.Ive been at 6" w/ stock steering(RE HD Trackbar/bracket) for 6 years now!

4x4life05 said:

If you install a drop pitman arm you might improve the operating angle of your draglink (it wont do much for your tie rod), but you will most likely cause you rig to suffer from bump-steer. The draglink needs to be parallel, or at least close to parallel, to the track bar. Otherwise everytime you drive over bump your steering wheel will become possesed and take you in new and exciting directions.

RyanM said:
pitman arm puller? avoild the cheapo ones, ive broken a couple of those. PB blast it, and tap it with a hammer first.

Also as you crank down the puller, give it a couple turns and wack it with a BFH. then a couple cranks and repeat with the hammer. Continue till the pitman arm comes off.

DaffyXJ said:
Also as you crank down the puller, give it a couple turns and wack it with a BFH. then a couple cranks and repeat with the hammer. Continue till the pitman arm comes off.

X2, Just get it tight and hit it w/ a hammer.. It's a little scary but about the only way to get it off is a puller.. Maybe an angle grinder w/ a cut off wheel but be careful (I dont recommend this method).

You didnt get anything out of this post did you? You dont need a drop pitman arm for 3" lift im runnin the same thing and all is fine. Pitman arms dont generally go bad either so it shouldnt need replaced

Back