• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pissed Off, They Want My XJ Off The Road

I run synthetic in my new car and truck. But I would not convert to synthetic after 50,000 miles. I have been told that this is not true but I feel that you shuld not change. But I would and do use a Blend in the Jeep because of when i switched.

Here is a link to help WiseGeek

Tugboat369 said:
In Delaware the last time I had my XJ inspected the guy failed me for a Body Lift? I had to take it to a superviser to get it overturned.

How do you fail an emissions test for a body lift? Or was this part of a general mechanical inspection?

Tugboat369 said:
I run synthetic in my new car and truck. But I would not convert to synthetic after 50,000 miles. I have been told that this is not true but I feel that you shuld not change. But I would and do use a Blend in the Jeep because of when i switched.

Here is a link to help WiseGeek

nothing wrong with switching at high miles. the main thing is that one you start running synthetic, you shouldn't switch back. also, mixing it maekes it somewhat wortheless

i live in ontario and i have never had any problems with the etest as its called up here. my last xj 87 i came in with 35 boggers and they dont even put it on the rollers as its too big, and just do an idle test. i would take it to a diffrent shop , both of my passed and had nearly 400,000 k on the motor and used more oil then gas lol. the thing is a money grab big time.

One time my friend had a manual in his camaro. When he took it to get smogged, the Smog tech could get the car started. He asked what the extra pedal was for. He didnt push the clutch in....

Point is that not all smog techs are intelligent...

xjtrailrider said:
Move to Southwest Virginia, We don't have "Smog" inspections, and its a great place to live and wheel!

We also dont have inspections here, but i know they do in Colorado, so many people living close enough to the ks co border just tag their nonconfroming rigs in kansas. Just use a friends address for the state.

I never thought I would hear myself say this, from a few of you are saying the emsissions testing in your areas are pretty flimsy. In Ohio, there are are certain counties that require an E-Check. Up until a couple o fyears ago there was a $20 charge for the test, but you could get a failed vehicle retested and it would be waived if you could document that there was more than $200 or $300 of emissions work done. The test is now free, I should note do to corruptions and kick backs to politions. The thing is that you get a printout of the test results. They do a visual check but that is to determine if it has a catalytic convert, but to the best of my knowledge they have to to run the test otherwise.

YELLAHEEP said:
Having been a former emissions inspection / testing / repair mechanic......

I'd do an oil change to a heavier viscosity

Also, pull out the air cleaner, get a can of the stuff they sell at the auto parts store that is suppose to make them pass. I have used the stuff and it works!!

Back