• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

pipe bender

MTN4X4

NAXJA Forum User
has any one ever used a pipe bender to make
a ft tube bumber, i dont have a bender but can buy a pipe
bender from lowes /home depot for cheap.
and maybe even use black pipe to make a bumber, way cheaper than dom
tubing,
comments please, thoughts ...................

ive never seen a pipe bender at Home Depot...

I have seen a conduit bender on occasion...

then again, i havent really looked...

Im sure there is *someone* in the so-cal chapter with a bender that is semi local who would be willing to lend a hand...

and as far as pipe being cheaper - im not sure that is the case... I think that HREW tube (1.5x.120) was something like $2 a foot last time i bought it... $40 for a 20' stick - more than enough to make a bumper - isnt all that bad...

XJ_ranger said:
and as far as pipe being cheaper - im not sure that is the case... I think that HREW tube (1.5x.120) was something like $2 a foot last time i bought it... $40 for a 20' stick - more than enough to make a bumper - isnt all that bad...

1.5" sch 40 pipe is running around $3/foot around here.

Prepmech said:
1.5" sch 40 pipe is running around $3/foot around here.
Anyone know what it's going for in and around SoCal??

btw - a pipe bender will kink tube. I haven't tried it, but that's what people tell me..

E

DOM = Drawn Over Mandrel

HREW = Hot Rolled Electric Weld

Basically DOM os stronger then HREW by 30% (I think thats what it is)

If you google search it you can find out a lot more on the differences. Earl, Just my .02, dont do it. Just spend the money and have a real bumper made.

DOM tube is actually HREW tube that is heated and then drawn over a mandrel. In essence it is much stronger and seamless. HREW is strong enough for what we do as wheelers, but it has a seam that you have to deal with.

If you build anything out of poop pipe expect it to fail on the trail.

KarlVP said:
HREW is strong enough for what we do as wheelers, but it has a seam that you have to deal with.

If you build anything out of poop pipe expect it to fail on the trail.

x2 We build pretty much everything, besides suspension and a few other things, out of HREW we just keep the seam on the inside.

poop pipe i like that,
i have a buddy that made a ft bumber with "poop pipe"
and it looks good, but no real recovery points .

If you have a fully equipped hydrualics shop (or other mechanical shop maybe) they may bend the tube for you. We just bent up a bumper guard for one of our regular clients, he supplied material and a template. Just the labor cost him almost $100 though. That could go to an adequate bender instead, just trying to throw out other options for ya.

Edit: I think it was 1.5" pretty thick tubing, but it was about the most our tube bender could handle. We are in the process of fixing modifying a bigger unit that took a S@*$ a year or so ago. That's why I said "fully equiped", we rarely handle tubing that big. Usually go to threaded or welded union pipe when that much flow is needed, which is rare in this trade.

Last edited:
A pipe bender is NOT a tube bender..... Dont waste your money on it, it will not work...

If you cannot afford a good tube bender but still wish to do it yourself, there is another option.....

DO NOT use black iron pipe it will split.....

That said......
Get your tubing and weld a freeze plug or some other suitable plug on one end. Get a bag or two of play sand, the kind they put in kids sandboxes (it should be as fine as you can get). Make sure it is COMPLETELY dry before you start. If you have to, spread it out on a tarp on a sunny day. It must be totally dry or you will have a pipe bomb on your hands!!

Fill the tube about 1-2 feet up then find a way to compact the sand. We used to use a wooden dowel that fit closely inside the tube and a pnuematic chisel gun with a planishing head. Add another 1-2 feet and repeat until tube is full and all the sand is compacted TIGHTLY!

Weld a freeze plug on the other end without disturbing the sand if possible.

Put the tube in a vise and heat with a torch until it is almost red hot in the area you wish to bend. Give it a push and VIOLA!!

If it is a steep bend like 90* you may have to heat it up more than once...

Grind off the plugs and remove the sand and you are done!

Disclaimer as follows... If you or anyone else follows my advice you could get hurt or worse..... I am not responsible for your actions......

Original_MudButt said:
A pipe bender is NOT a tube bender..... Dont waste your money on it, it will not work...

If you cannot afford a good tube bender but still wish to do it yourself, there is another option.....

DO NOT use black iron pipe it will split.....

That said......
Get your tubing and weld a freeze plug or some other suitable plug on one end. Get a bag or two of play sand, the kind they put in kids sandboxes (it should be as fine as you can get). Make sure it is COMPLETELY dry before you start. If you have to, spread it out on a tarp on a sunny day. It must be totally dry or you will have a pipe bomb on your hands!!

Fill the tube about 1-2 feet up then find a way to compact the sand. We used to use a wooden dowel that fit closely inside the tube and a pnuematic chisel gun with a planishing head. Add another 1-2 feet and repeat until tube is full and all the sand is compacted TIGHTLY!

Weld a freeze plug on the other end without disturbing the sand if possible.

Put the tube in a vise and heat with a torch until it is almost red hot in the area you wish to bend. Give it a push and VIOLA!!

If it is a steep bend like 90* you may have to heat it up more than once...

Grind off the plugs and remove the sand and you are done!

Disclaimer as follows... If you or anyone else follows my advice you could get hurt or worse..... I am not responsible for your actions......

wow sounds like a lot of work.

I have a HF cheapo bender that works ok and has paid for it self I dont know how many 100's of times in just small fix its around the house and shop. If you really want to do a bumper your self get one, or hell barrow mine I dont use it that often right now.

okay, HREW shc 40 pipe. ive got some of this in 1 5/8" and it seems to be about 3/16" thick wall. Except is says 1 1/4" x 21 SCH40 ERW HP on the pipe. It is 1 1/4 ID with 1 5/8 OD. I was planning on making just a rap around tube for my rear bumper out of it, nothing structural just a lil protection. Now for the question: Is this pipe or tube or what??? I mean could i buy a $100 pipe bender and make a few bends with this sch 40 crap???

_MURDERED OUT_ said:
Now for the question: Is this pipe or tube or what??? I mean could i buy a $100 pipe bender and make a few bends with this sch 40 crap???

It is Pipe.
Yes, bend it with a Pipe Bender.

Michael

okay thanks. So i looked at Northern tools and Harbor Freight today at their pipe benders. A 12 ton model is $99. I guess i will get one of those and see what happens. It looks like the pipe bender doesnt need to be mounted to anything just set it on the concrete and try it out i guess???

I use a hf pipe kinker for some small stuff and really works well. I got it for around $90-100 and it is worth it. I would build a complete bumper out of pipe and flogg the piss out of it no worries. I would NOT use it as recovery... have fun with pipe and learn some tricks; pretty soon you will wanna step up to the real deal and order gotrikes tube bender plans. Thats what i just did and the plans look great.

oh well im not trying to make it a recovery bumper. although i do plan on tie'n in to an exo cage off of the rear bumper. and i plan to make the exo cage out of sch 40 pipe too.

Last edited:
well i bought a 12 ton pipe bender from northern tools. which is probably the same as the HF one. Now i neet to go buy a stick of 1 1/4" sch 40 and attempt make a rear bumper. Goin to be my first time using a bender so hopefully i can figure it out. I am goin to practice with some crappy pipe i got layin around first tho...

Back