• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

pinion yoke/nut removal

Mitchen

NAXJA Forum User
I am tearing down this axle to get ready for the lunchbox locker and 4.88's but cant seem to get the pinion nut off! Hasta

im using a good snap-on impact gun and holding the pinion yoke with a big crescent wrench but it will not give, i soaked it with dw40 because i did not have any PB blaster and i let it soak in for a good while but it still hasn't budged.

any tips would be appreciated

The last one I got off, I used a large pipe wrench on the outside of the yoke, supported by a jack stand. Once the slack is taken up, it's much easier to get the nut to turn instead of just twisting the yoke. I don't think you'll get it off if you are holding both the wrenches yourself. You might do better here with a breaker bar rather than an impact wrench, because it will hold the tension on the pipe wrench more steadily.

The last one I got off, I used a large pipe wrench on the outside of the yoke, supported by a jack stand. Once the slack is taken up, it's much easier to get the nut to turn instead of just twisting the yoke. I don't think you'll get it off if you are holding both the wrenches yourself. You might do better here with a breaker bar rather than an impact wrench, because it will hold the tension on the pipe wrench more steadily.

alright i will give that a try and if it does not work i will see if i can get someone to come over and give me a hand. man are these things really torqued to 240 ft/lbs?

hehe. I remember doing this one in a parking lot... I used my jackstand and a good 1/2inch wrench and jacked the up the wrench and the weight of the car broke it free!

I've always been able to crack them loose with a breaker bar and a 3 foot cheater pipe. If that doesn't work, try hitting it with MAPP or even propane as already suggested.

i opted out of using my torch to heat it
but i did get it to break loose i let it soak in DW-40 for about 5 hours
then i held the yoke with a big pipe wrench and let the end of it sit on a jackstand then busted it loose with a big breaker bar first try!

Back