• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pics from SoCal Fest 2013

IMG_20130427_135830_912_zps6e9a2d84.jpg

Awwww cool! Slinky makes Jeep parts!!

Fun stuff from SoCal Fest :

1) My 6 year old boy learned from primitive camping to poop in the woods away from camp. He didn't realize that this isn't primitive camping and that the tree furthest from camp, but closest to the road with a mother and her young daughter walking on it was not the ideal place to drop a deuce.

2) You too can feel like a drug-addict while making deals on the side of the road outside of camp, with "colorful" characters, for firewood.

3) An 1/8 cord is what will fit in the back of a Cherokee with the back seat up.

4) Carol's method for leading a run involves the terms "wandering" and "trial and error". "Turn around" and "go back the other way" are heavily involved also. (Was a great time Carol! :laugh3:)

5) A bone stock KK Liberty is pretty damn capable and definitely worthy of "Trail Rated" badging.

6) Thank you stock KK Liberty for allowing my buddy to use his winch finally. Apologies to the rest of Jacoby Cyn for the traffic jam.

7) Pretty funny to realize that the guy you're meeting to buy parts from is the owner of the XJ rear that you've been looking at on the trail all day (Thanks johnnie.walker!).

8) Had an outstanding time hanging out, meeting people, playing and will definitely be back next year - can't wait!

P1060202.jpg

P1060203.jpg

P1060204.jpg

P1060209.jpg

P1060210.jpg

P1060211.jpg

P1060213.jpg

P1060214.jpg

P1060215.jpg

P1060216.jpg

P1060217.jpg

P1060220.jpg

P1060221.jpg

Great pictures. I'm kicking myself for missing this event. Combination of getting my jeep a few days prior, not really trusting it yet, no spare and no jack kept me away.

Well it's that time again, time for SoCal Fest and it's back home in Big Bear. My weekend started out later than planned due to Sebastian having a kindergarten assessment test on Thursday then getting sick, we finally got on the road about 6:30 PM Thursday (as opposed to originally intending to hit the road at about 5:00 PM Wednesday).

SoCal+Fest+2013+-+02.jpg

After some traffic and a stop for dinner we hit camp well after dark. I was really looking forward to checking out my new Goal Zero Light-A-Life lights, I got out my scary ladder and strung them up. They worked wonderfully.

SoCal+Fest+2013+-+04.jpg

After this photo I crawled in to the tent and went to bed.

On Friday I focused on completing camp setup. I drove to the Discovery Center and coordinated the run for the four or five rigs that arrived then headed back to camp to set up. In the afternoon I attempted to place the private repeater I planned on using, unfortunately either the key or lock was incorrect so that didn't happen. I took a short drive through the Holcomb Valley then went to town to grab a few supplies before heading back in to camp.

Friday night... Margaritas... Yeah not a very good idea. I had a few too many birthday drinks. I had a great time Friday night, not so great a time Saturday morning...

I reassigned Carol as the leader for my traditional stocker tour and wandered around camp for a couple hours until I started feeling better. About Noon my dad with his friend Rosanne, my buddy Josh and his girlfriend Alicia, and Sebastian and I took off for a little run to flex out Josh's Jeep and take care of a special project.

We had lunch at Rose Mine and played around a bit.

SoCal+Fest+2013+-+05.jpg

SoCal+Fest+2013+-+06.jpg

After lunch we headed over toward Heartbreak Ridge to give Josh's Jeep a workout. On the way we stopped for the special project. This happened with Josh and Alicia.

SoCal+Fest+2013+-+09.jpg

Yes, it's what you think.

SoCal+Fest+2013+-+10.jpg

No, he wasn't denied.

After hanging out there for awhile we continued on to Heartbreak, attempting to run it from West to East (the harder way).

SoCal+Fest+2013+-+11.jpg

SoCal+Fest+2013+-+12.jpg

Josh's open/open rig was denied. He got a bit tippy backing out of it so out came the ballast strap to the B pillar.

SoCal+Fest+2013+-+15.jpg

Locked rigs have no issues here, my dad coming down after turning around. Next year Josh will have at least a lunchbox up front.

SoCal+Fest+2013+-+17.jpg

SoCal+Fest+2013+-+21.jpg

SoCal+Fest+2013+-+22.jpg

After that we took 2N02 up to Rose Mine for another engagement photo shoot. Then about a half our later we continued on to 3N03 off to 18 to join up being the slowest line of school buses around. While I would have liked to have lead the stocker run I am glad we took of on our own for Josh and his now fiancé Alicia's moment. With it just being us they did not feel the need to hurry though photos, etc.

We hit camp just in time to start prep for the dinner and raffle. While Carol, Stephan, Belinda, Karen, John, and others dealt with dinner prep, cooking, ticket sales, and other tasks I organized the raffle prizes into an order that I hoped kept the momentum going. While we were all doing our thing Sebastian and a group of kids had some epic battles with lightsabers, whoever had the spare for Sebastian thanks! He'll want to bring his next, that boy is a Star Wars fanatic. At a little after 9:00 PM we started the raffle with a Ruff Stuff D30 diff cover won by Jerry.Allen (a man I would see more of as the raffle progressed).

I had a good time giving stuff away, when the TNT Belly Pan prize came up my ticket was pulled. I ended up going for it since I've been meaning to purchase one for the past six months; it will go nicely protecting my little '96 XJ. To make amends I burnt the other three or four winning tickets of my own that were pulled. Sebastian had a good time as one of the ticket pullers, the other boy did too, I'm afraid I don't know his name or who he belonged to.

After the raffle I hung around the campfire for a little while before turning in at about 11:30.

Last edited:
Sunday morning I woke up later than planned (I failed to charge my phone Saturday, it ran out of juice before my planned 7:00 alarm). I started breaking camp for the AAT run. It was clear I wasn't going to be on time so I told Stephan to go ahead and I'll round up the stragglers. We left camp a little later than planned due to some business we had to take care of and hit 2N04, NAXJA's first adopted trail in the SBNF. I was the pack wagon for this day with my empty M416, on the way to catching up the the group I stopped to get a trailer load of brush. The plan of action was general maintenance and building up a large amount of brush to disguise an illegal trail used for illegal woodcutting. We made our way to 2N04A, the site of the illegal trail and had lunch. After lunch we had my birthday cake then got to work. While the group worked on disguising the trail I took my now empty trailer back about halfway down the trail and gathered more brush.

SoCal+Fest+2013+-+27.jpg

Joel, Carol, and Sean.

SoCal+Fest+2013+-+30.jpg

Partial load.

SoCal+Fest+2013+-+32.jpg

We cleared 2N04 at about 3:00 PM and headed off in our own directions. Most of the group took 2N04 back to 38 while my father, David Bricker, and myself took 2N04 to 2N01 out, I wanted to run the rest of 2N04 to make sure there were no other problems.

Then it was time to pack the trailer and head home. Another SCF done. Sebastian and I had a great time with the event.

Thanks to everybody for attending and our sponsors for donating product for our raffle!

Last edited:
I've got some pics coming. Just need to make the time, and pull the pics off the camera. Had a great time at my first SoCal Fest. A very big thanks goes to all the folks that help ed pull this together. It was no small feat.

David Bricker / SYR - TUS

Finally did a little editing last night of the video footage I shot with the advanced group. I don't know what YouTube did with their "stabilizing" bs, but I plan to fix the border bouncing around. The original video is not that bad.

http://youtu.be/COewLXaS-3I

did anyone take the hard line on gold mtn?

JeeperJohn, myself and 2 others took the "hard" line. We were at the front of the pack so i don't think anyone took pics or video.

Back