• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Photo Hosting Questions

Eagle

Lifetime NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I'm looking for a place to host pics from NAXJA-NAC events. AT&T gives me a link to Ofoto. Does anyone use that service? Is it any good? Is there anything to watch out for?

I'm a total noobie dweeb in regard to Internet stuff, so ease of use is or paramount importance. Any suggestions for other sites that might be easier to use (and free)?

Free and easy to use, a tall order...

Most ISPs (Internet Service Providers -- the folks you use to connect to the Internet) provide a certain amount of free web space, and a convenient method for placing pics and/or web pages there for public viewing. I'm only using a fraction of the 10 mb available to me... If your provider has such a thing, it would seem that would be the place to start.

If not, then I'm certain there will be other replies here from folks who have opinions about other hosting services. I don't have enough experience with them to recommend one over another.

hth

Yeah, my ISP is AT&T. They give me 10 MB per e-mail addy, and I can have up to 6 e-mail addys, so I have access to a lot pf space. However -- it is far from "convenient." I just spent an hour trying to figure out how to even register for my free web page, and after an hour I'm no closer to getting started than I was before I started.

That's what started me looking for a photo host site.

You'd think a company as big as AT&T could figure out that a feature people can't understand how to use isn't much of a feature. I'd love to find out what percentage of their Internet customers have actually establsihed personal web pages. (Then I'd like to see it broken down my ages -- we all know people under 18 have this stuff in their genes and don't even need to look at the instructions :( )

im working with my Moab pics on www.fototime.com i looked at a few free servers and didnt really find what i was looking for.. this is easy to use and easy to view..... i'll be posting a link this week finally.... damn i should get a cable isp just for all the uploading im doing!!
mike

Thanks for the kind words Kejtar. Jeepers helping Jeepers is a big thing for us.

Glenn

I'm using webshots...but half the time end up posting pics one at a time..it's got a ways to go before I'd call it 'user friendly'. Free part is limited to 24 pics per albums, 10 albums available. I went with the pay version, 50 albums with 60 pics per..that way I can squeeze in all those great 'this is the hood of the jeep, this is the headliner..and..this is the rear view mirror, as I got my butt bounced around trying to play National Geographic. Frankly, there's gotta be better solutions than this....

One of the important questions to ask is how convenient is it for people to view your pics??? With Ofoto and Phototime it's not as simple to link single images and offer them to others without making them sign in.... remember... the fact that you can see them doesn't mean much if you are the poster of the pics :(

With SB-Host you have the abilty to share the album or just the pic or a page with pic and comments to others and they don't have to sign in :D And they have mutliple pic uploads... it's just too easy :D

Kejtar said:
Eagle.....
Check out http://www.sb-host.com/imagehost/index.php tehir prices are pretty good.... I mean if you look at it, it's pretty much near free :D and if something doesn't work .... you know who to call LOL

I already thought of that, but when you've been out of work for 16 months and the unemployment has expired, "nearly" free isn't even close to "free."

Eagle... I understand where you're coming from... but at $19.95 for a year it is nearly free :D That's just over $1.5 a month when you look at things (you do have to pay it annually though IIRC)... and well... most people waste more then that on things like lotter tickets and so on (don't take me wrong.. I dropped quite a bit when the state lotto hit 98mil here in CA) but.... I guess you see where I'm going with this :D

Eagle. Check with your ISP. They might give you some free webspace that you can upload pictures to. I know that Earthlink gives 10MB, I'd imagine the other majors would give something...

Just a thought.

Sequoia
(Oh, if you need help with FTP just ask...

...Remi!) :D

(Seriously I'll help ya if you need)

Back