• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Petition to Stop Federal Funding of Ground Zero Mosque

Tom R.

NAXJA Forum User
From Dick Morris:

The ground zero mosque, called Park 51, has applied for a $5 million grant of federal funds from the Lower Manhattan Development Corporation. The Corporation, set up to rebuild lower Manhattan after 9-11, is actively considering the grant request. Imagine! A federal entity set up to rebuild lower Manhattan giving tax money to a mosque designed to celebrate the attacks that killed 3,000 Americans!

The ground zero mosque will offer courses in Shariah Law and will doubtless spawn hundreds of new terrorists eager to pick up where the 9-11 hijackers left off.

Officially, the federal funds would not go to religious activities, but to "fund social service programs for all the residents of Lower Manhattan such as domestic violence prevention, Arabic and other foreign language classes, programs and services for homeless veterans, two multi-cultural art exhibits and immigration services," according to its grant application.

The sponsors of the mosque have no business rubbing the noses of the victims' families in the dirt by building the mosque right next to the site of 9-11. But there is especially no justification for using our tax money to make it possible.
Click the link below to sign an online petition to the Lower Manhattan Development Corporation to urge them to refuse the grant request! Keep some sense of proportion and decency!

http://www.dickmorris.com/petition

I'm on the fence about whether it should exist, but considering the money they raised, they should need a grant, and based on the fact that the gov't would immediately deny a request from a church or synagogue, there's no reaosn for a mosque to receive federal funding.

Then there is this......

This week during a speech in Scotland, Imam Rauf, (promoter of the Ground Zero Mosque ) stated:

“An essential element of this interweaving of cultures, he says, will have to be the incorporation of Sharia law into the legal systems of Europe and the US.” - Imam Feisal Rauf

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=245430617&postcount=138

You mean this article :D

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/...ipe-for-successful-multiculturalism-1.1120227

I did not want to use jihadwatch, though I could use this one too
http://islamtodayoregon.blogspot.com/2011/08/imam-rauf-lies-and-here-is-proof.html

taqiyyai is a pretty good word, here we call them rino's :D :D :D

All thru time muslims have built mosques where ever they conquered to show defeat to their enemies. Mosques that do not face east. Why? Because the Christians did not build the church facing east. Do not take my word for it, do research on Constantinople. Oh it is not just Christianity they hate, there have been over 2,000 buddhist shrines either destoyed or converted by the muslims. Does anybody remember the Buddhist statues blown up by the Taliban a couple years ago? Peace loving muslims did that. How about the memorial in Western PA where flight 93 crashed. It had to be modified because it resembled the muslim crescent too closly. Ever wonder why? Who would approve that being built.

Muslims want the Mosque at ground zero built for one reason and one reason only. It is the ignorant and the liberals who will allow it. A good saying is "History forgotten is history repeated". Let this mosque or as they call it 'cultural center' be built, it will remind us what they did every day after it is open.

Funny, there is (or was) a bar next door to the proposed mosque. To say they are opposed would be putting it lightly. Wonder if any permits for say a butcher who sells pork or a liquor license will also be granted in that same area, or is that not politically correct?

Another good one is Imam Rauf, the man behind getting the mosque built. His dad, he was in the muslim brotherhood. Any pro-democracy coming from his mouth is 100% garbage. He has NO intent of ever having Christianity intertwined with the muslim faith or Sharia law.

This topic got me an A for my current events presentation in TELS 4390 at the University of Houston.

Last edited:
Update: On September 7th, the Lower Manhattan Development Corporation decided to refuse federal funds for the Ground Zero Park51 Mosque.

for one thing, it's 10 or so blocks away, which is a pretty good distance in the city, it's also not the giant single purpose gold domed mosque everyone thinks it's going to be and this country was founded on and because of religious freedom so stop being so XXXXing paranoid about a whole culture because of the radicals

oh and by the way, when you drive a volkswagon the wheels play a subliminal message about becoming a Nazi

I'm more worried about the 45 McDonalds that are right next to it, if terrorists were smart they would just open more of those and have the 50 cent menu and get us that way

and before xjeeper starts calling me a muslim with proof from some radial newspaper I am a devout church going christian who lost more than one friend in the attacks

for one thing, it's 10 or so blocks away, which is a pretty good distance in the city, it's also not the giant single purpose gold domed mosque everyone thinks it's going to be and this country was founded on and because of religious freedom so stop being so XXXXing paranoid about a whole culture because of the radicals

oh and by the way, when you drive a volkswagon the wheels play a subliminal message about becoming a Nazi

I'm more worried about the 45 McDonalds that are right next to it, if terrorists were smart they would just open more of those and have the 50 cent menu and get us that way

Should there be a monument? I see no reason why not.

Should it follow any religious tradition? Hell, no!

It's not just Christians that died that day, I'm sure. And, commemorating Islam - when it was Islamic fundamentalists that caused the whole incident in the first place - is foolish.

If it's publicly-funded, it should be a simple monument to the event. Any religion that wants a monument of its own flavour can fund it themselves. With tithes/collections from the membership.

Whether Christian, Catholic, Buddhist, Taoist, Jewish, or Islamic. I see no reason why I should be coerced into paying for even part of a religious monument, simply because it will favour one religion over another (and that's what we're not supposed to be all about, y'know?)

they aren't building a monument to islam, the proposal is a multipurpose medium rise building that one floor in it is a mosque and it's not at ground zero, which apparently people have to add to the title to breed anger/hate, kinda like Herman Caines new ad

Just clicked the link, it's a FOX news guy, should have figured it out earlier

I'm out

Land of the free doesn't card people for things like this, it's not like you need a "real american" pass to build something in this country. Perpetuating the hatred that 9/11 instilled in all of us just means they win.

Devout church-going Christian and you need to resort to cussing? You're held accountable for every word...;)

I think the bigger point, no matter what people are arguing, is that federal funds shouldn't be used to build a religious building. That's where my biggest problem lies. Do I know that it was originally going to be named the Cordoba House? Yes, and I also am fully aware of the implications of that name being that Cordoba was the Spanish church that was demolished and rebuilt as a mosque to commemorate their conquest of Spain. I'm well aware that they build mosques on the site of great victories of Islam over the infidels, see the Dome of the Rock, the former church in the former Constantinople, Damascus and the church of John the Baptist. Do I think there's a war between imperialistic Islam and the non-Muslim world? Yes. However, I also believe that not all Muslims have fully read their Korans, much like not all Christians actually live their faith, and aren't committed to this war. But it's not my fight. I would like the site to be further from the former WTC, but if they can get it permitted, I'm not gonna fight it. But it is a mosque, and it shouldn't receive federal funding. I'd be opposed to a synagogue, a church, or whatever being built with federal funds.

Whether it's a church, synagogue, temple, mosque, or even a Zen rock garden - if there is any religious involvement, it should not receive public funding (I'm not especially happy about churches being tax-exempt organisations, either. While all churches are theoretically tax-exempt, it still amounts to an endorsement of oragnised religion in general. Makes me want to start up the "Church of NO MA'AM" so I can get rid of paying taxes for booze - "Sacramental Rum," you could say.)

That's it. I don't care what sort of holy space, I don't care what religion it's for - if it's religious, it don't get public dollars. It can build with its own.

Yes, even if it's a "community centre" with a church in it.

No "derp" to it, to me.

Whether it's a church, synagogue, temple, mosque, or even a Zen rock garden - if there is any religious involvement, it should not receive public funding (I'm not especially happy about churches being tax-exempt organisations, either. While all churches are theoretically tax-exempt, it still amounts to an endorsement of oragnised religion in general. Makes me want to start up the "Church of NO MA'AM" so I can get rid of paying taxes for booze - "Sacramental Rum," you could say.)

That's it. I don't care what sort of holy space, I don't care what religion it's for - if it's religious, it don't get public dollars. It can build with its own.

Yes, even if it's a "community centre" with a church in it.

No "derp" to it, to me.

I highlighted the most important bit.

nothing religious should get tax dollars, as it's not the governments place to decide what religion my tax dollars should support.

as to starting your own church:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/phoenix-goddess-temple-raided-alleged-brothel/story?id=14481945

I really think this is a better option than just writing off beer money.

but it does show the underlying religious beliefs held by many in the government and I do believe that the Christian religions do get preferential treatment when it comes to things of this nature, and even how laws are written.

I highlighted the most important bit.

nothing religious should get tax dollars, as it's not the governments place to decide what religion my tax dollars should support.

Excellent - seems we are agreed. Once it becomes an issue of preference of religion, I start to have a problem with it. I don't care if God is mentioned (it's the Arabs that say that there are a thousand names of Allah,) but once it endorses a particular system of belief over another, public funding should be stripped - I don't care what faith system they're talking about.

as to starting your own church:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/phoenix-goddess-temple-raided-alleged-brothel/story?id=14481945

I really think this is a better option than just writing off beer money.

I was joking. Ever watch "Married... With Children"? Al Bundy started the "Church of NO-MA'AM", and the ep was a parody on televangelism. Funny!

but it does show the underlying religious beliefs held by many in the government and I do believe that the Christian religions do get preferential treatment when it comes to things of this nature, and even how laws are written.

As do I. And we even have people campaigning on the basis of their Faith - and a POTUS who doesn't go to church is suspect. Wha?

I don't advocate strict "freedom from religion," but...

- "Freedom of Religious Expression" does include "freedom from religion," in an official sense.

- By extension, and as I've said before, this makes Faith a personal issue, not a public one. If we have a POTUS who is agnostic or atheist, I don't have a problem with that - provided he still upholds his Oath of Office. Similarly, I don't care of he's Zen Buddhist, Taoist, "C&E Catholic," Jewish, "Joo," or whatever - provided he does not let his Faith guide his official actions.

Make sense?

The proposed cutural center is not 10 blocks away, it is 4. The building was an old Burlington Coat factory store. It was condemned after 9/11 because landing gear from one of the jets landed on the top floor of the structure causing enough damage to condemn the building. I personally think that makes it close enough to ground zero.

I need to get my notes out, but there was a catholic church damaged by the collapsing towers that was denied federal funding for rebuilding. This supports the no federal funds for religious purposes.

But I believe the total separation of Church and state as is now being vindicated is way beyond what the founding fathers wanted. Does anybody realize that of the signers of the Declaration of Independence, about 50% of them were ordained ministers? Does anybody realize the second verse of our national anthem speaks specifically of God (yes, there really is a second verse). Has anybody given thought why say the Supreme Court building has so many church articles and references on it? Sorry, but giving reference to a specific item does not count for the whole picture. Back in 1776, I do not believe there was a muslim problem in the USA. Yes, it is a real problem today. Update: There is a muslim problem in the world, not just the USA. Throwing liberal thoughts at the problem will only make the muslims laugh at the stupid Americans. Need proof, there is a certain retired Army Colonel now a congressman down in Florida. I believe he was retired because he met muslims with an eye for an eye. The Army kicked him out because he got a captured muslim to tell where his captured men were being held. Don't bother starting with the poor muslim, he was in captivity routine. How many captured civilians and military personnel have been beheaded on camera by the poor muslims? How many dead bodies of US Servicemen have been dragged thru streets on camera by the poor muslims? How many muslim rallies have had signs stating death to the USA? Now all of these scenes, how many by the USA? Muslims understand only one thing. They laugh at foolish negotiations. The last 1,000 years of history supports the above.

Last edited:
for one thing this country was founded on and because of religious freedom so stop being so XXXXing paranoid about a whole culture because of the radicals.

Exactly!

That explains alot.

Back