• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Patriot....A suitable XJ replacement?

BeJay1981

NAXJA Forum User
I've been in the hunt for a 4x4 SUV or pickup to replace my gas guzzling XJ. I drive approx 120 miles a day. After reviewing the specs it looks like this will be the closest thing.

All the vehincle dimensions are within an inch or 2 of the XJ. Stock for stock all the approach/departure/breakover angles are very close. And 25/30 MPG is nice. Compared the the 14/16 I get now.

It all looks good on paper but what are some of your thoughts? Optioned out correctly and with a 3" lift with some 31's, it might be a pretty good lookin vehicle.

why not buy a Compass...they are REALLY cool...HAHAHA!!

I would get a second job just to put gas in my rig before I sold it and bought one of the "New and inproved" models.....

Going to a Patriot from a XJ is alot like kissing your cousin...you may have thought about it, but dont act on it!!

If you want MPG go buy a Honda or Prius and keep the XJ for weekends.

i would say looks wise - the patriot comes close to what an up to date xj might look like.

i would say offroad performance whise - the patriot is one of the farthest away from the xj one can get in the jeep lineup (besides the compASS)

If it had a low range, and if someone actually made a lift for it, which they most likely won't spend the money or time to develope, the 4 cyl would not want to move it with real tires, the drive train would not handle it, and the mileage would be as bad as the XJ. Other than that, it would be great...

1sgtnyg said:
If it had a low range

Which is available as an option.

and if someone actually made a lift for it, which they most likely won't spend the money or time to develope

It's in the works.

the 4 cyl would not want to move it with real tires, the drive train would not handle it, and the mileage would be as bad as the XJ.

Regearing would solve the mileage problem, and the drivetrain's pretty robust as it is. Granted, you won't be running 37's, but 31's are a realistic proposition - plenty for that vehicle.

Personally, I would vote 'yes' provided you keep within its limitations. And if you're wondering exactly what those limitations are, I would strongly recommend reading this article. While it's by no means an exact duplicate of the XJ, what they're making them do there in stock form is pretty damned impressive. I could go for one as a commuter / light wheeler, but in my case the amount of distance I'm driving doesn't equate to enough in fuel savings to make it a worthwhile proposition.

Last edited:
I've read that the patriot is actually quite capible off road when it has the right options. It looks like a good suv, but I couldn't stand owning one with that name. I love my country:patriot:, but that name is embarrasing :puke:. Maybe pull off the badges and it'll be ok.

Plus those "estimated" MPG numbers are very optimistic. You'll probably have a hard time getting those numbers unless you drive 55 downhill with a tailwind. Like suggested above, get a used Honda Civic or something like that for the commute.

For my daily commute, I might consider one if I decide to make my ZJ mostly a trail rig. Someday, when money grows on trees!

I can't recall the site, but there was a SEMA prepped Patriot with 31s and areal nice steel bumper. That looked SWEET!

Sorry, I can't bring myself to buy a Honduh...

2006-Jeep-Patriot-SEMA-Concept-Front-Angle-Tilt-1024x768.jpg

if you want milage get a suzuki. Get a sami if you can, or a 1st or second generation geo tracker/suzuki sidekick 2 or 4 door. Yeah IFS but they are real frames, rear 4wd with a 2 speed transfer case and get mid to high 20 something MPG if you drive with some restraint. A sami can get hi 20s no matter what.

Hope your in no hurry though. Thats what i would get if i was in the market for some MPG and it HAD to be an SUV type vehicle.

WOW that Patriot looks pretty sweet surprisingly...

Back