• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Parents want me to sell my XJ

89Cherokee4x4 said:
I recently totaled my freinds blazer on a negletected dirt road owned by the city so I had to get him a new vehicle. I borowed it to run up the gas station real quick and was going down the road doing about 30 mph (no faster than I usually go) and went around a curve and the road was f***ed up. I lost control and rode up a small embankment side swiped a tree and then it rolled completly over. The city came and fixed the road the day after

If the accident occured on (and because of) a road maintained by the city doesn't that mean the city is responsible for the repair or replacement of the vehicle? What is the speed limit on that road?

Why didn't you just give the jeep to your friend instead of getting him another vehicle?

89Cherokee4x4 said:
My Tacoma has 31's also so I tryed to use this as an argument to let me keep the jeep but they said no and that it is to dangerous.
Driving is dangerous, Corvairs are dangerous, life is dangerous, breathing is dangerous....
You should ask your parents if putting a cage in the Jeep would make them feel that it is safer. Or just make it an offroad toy.

I would try to guilt my mom into letting me keep it but they paid for the accidient and refuse to let me pay them back. I have most of the money to repay them but they will not let me so I would feel kind of bad trying to guilt her into letting me keep it.

Tom R. said:
From what we know, I agree the wreck was likely not the result of the body lift. However, I'm inclined to believe it had more to do with driving too fast for the conditions. It's kind of hard to blame a road. And I would never suggest telling a "white lie" to your parents. A lie is a lie is a lie. :nono:

I will admit that I was driving to fast for the conditions and I told my parents that. But the condition of the road changed dramaticaly since the last time I had driven on it. I took full responsibility for what happened and my buddy already has a new car that is nicer than the one I wrecked.

89Cherokee4x4 said:
I would try to guilt my mom into letting me keep it but they paid for the accidient and refuse to let me pay them back. I have most of the money to repay them but they will not let me so I would feel kind of bad trying to guilt her into letting me keep it.

She must be either roman catholic or jewish, they know how to out guilt anyone, it's genetic... I know, my mom was both. :D
Oh, by the way, my son did the same thing, tried to bs me about 'but I was driving slow', we had to rebuild his TJ from the tub up and out.

You may not want to hear this.

As a parent of four former teenagers, I understand your parent's prespective and honestly say that they are looking out for your best interest. They have more years experience than you and probably have buried friends a long time ago.

As a once teenage son, I get your point also. When I lived at my parents house I listened and lived by my parent's rules. Even the ones I thought weren't fair. They were paying the majority of my bills, you know food, electricity, cable, etc and didn't charge rent. Also don't play games, trying a guilt trip on your parents, it will only damage your creditablity.

So...
I agree with your parents, sell or park the vehicle.

You can join the military at 17 and get out of your parents house. Then once you are off their payroll and living independenty get an XJ.

Have you asked why they will let you keep the ricer, but want you to sell the Jeep? There is some seriously fuzzy logic at work here, as the ricer comes stock on 31's as an option. Sounds like a really sorry attempt to force you to get rid of something that you like and they don't. I can see this from both sides (parents/kid) and your folks arguement makes NO sense.

ren said:
Have you asked why they will let you keep the ricer, but want you to sell the Jeep? There is some seriously fuzzy logic at work here, as the ricer comes stock on 31's as an option. Sounds like a really sorry attempt to force you to get rid of something that you like and they don't. I can see this from both sides (parents/kid) and your folks arguement makes NO sense.

The yota has airbags, and it is more reliable.

My folks were the same way, one time the clutch died on a previous XJ and they said "It's got 200K miles on it you need to find something else to drive, it's a pos and unreliable" and that was the VERY truck I put 120K miles on in 4years without it needing ever so much as a brake job.

Also sounds like your folks have been trying to ditch the Jeep for a few years IMO

Parents are wierd that way bro, live with it until you can get you own place but get this THEY'LL still hound your azz for years to come!

Boatwrench said:
As a parent of four former teenagers, I understand your parent's prespective and honestly say that they are looking out for your best interest. They have more years experience than you and probably have buried friends a long time ago.
My mother used to say that, but she hasn't after she fell asleep at the wheel and nearly ran into a concrete wall while I was in the vehicle.
They might mean well, but more years experience doesn't necessarily mean anything.

89Cherokee4x4 said:
The yota has airbags, and it is more reliable.
And parts cost 4 times as much for Toyotas...
Airbags won't help much if a vehicle is rolling over.

argue to your mum that XJ's are built like tanks.....and tanks hold up good in accidents.

My mom actually preferred that I get a Jeep and not some stupid little Honda like my dad wanted to put me in. She even took out a loan in her name (that I make, well used to make, all the payments on. Now my dad does as his way of helping me out with college).

Besides, as mentioned, jeep parts are a LOT less expensive (for the most part) than jap. parts are. So when crap breaks, it hurts your wallet less.

No, I talked to my dad about it and he does not care if I keep it, but to satisfy my mom I have to be checking around to see if anybody wants it and ask a ridiculous price to anybody intrested. I think I will be able to keep it and wheel it until I graduate when I was planning on selling it anyways.

Just ask an off the wall price that nobody would pay, and if they do you have a decent amount of cash for the next Jeep.

89Cherokee4x4 said:
No, I talked to my dad about it and he does not care if I keep it, but to satisfy my mom I have to be checking around to see if anybody wants it and ask a ridiculous price to anybody intrested. I think I will be able to keep it and wheel it until I graduate when I was planning on selling it anyways.

if its paid for free and runs good let it sit, you can always use a good runner jeep as DD and have a wheeler, one for a parts getter, going to shitty neighborhoods etc. I much prefer having two or three so so vehicles to one $15,000 + or much less a bling bling 40 grand ride. Everyone should have a beater.

Back