• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Painting Differential Covers

Drunk tank said:
diff never gets hot enough to require special paint for high temp.... drive it all day then get out and touch it.... itll probably be nothing more than warm (surrounding temp)

ya just run out there and grab a hold of it and dont let go for a good 20 mins

why paint it? so you can get it covered in dirt again?

MaXJohnson said:
park that black Jeep out in the hot summer sun all day, then get out and touch it.... it'll probaby be nothing more than warm (surrounding temp)

You painting your hood with high temp paint?

hahaha! I HATE touching my jeep when its been in the sun all day... hot bastid for sure!

I just got my Crane diff covers and was wondering if I should paint the inside too or will that mix with, and foul up the gear oil.

Greg

Chevrolet Orange engine enamel :D My valve cover is painted with the same stuff too.

IMG_0008_001.sized.jpg

IMG_0050_002.sized.jpg

MontanaXJ said:
I just got my Crane diff covers and was wondering if I should paint the inside too or will that mix with, and foul up the gear oil.

Greg
if you look at paint as a necesity - to protect the metal than it isnt needed on the inside - oil is there...
no one will see the inside - so i dont see a purpose to paint it...

Rustoleum Gloss black. Cleans up good and doesn't spray off easially with hi-pressure car wash hoses. Get the heavy stuff off at home or work first. Those car wash guys get pissed if you fill their bays with Mud. I don't do it , but I have watched them chew people out for it. During the Summer I irrigate the school I work at so I just go down there and rinse off the mud.
I have painted the whole front suspension and axles in the gloss black. Looks great and is real easy to touch up. Rustoleum takes for ever to dry. The longer the stronger I have noticed with paint. This link has some shots of my front axle.
Scott's Cherokee Page

Never paint the inside, but paint the outside with whatever you like. If you are actually using your XJ the color won't last too long and you can always change it to a prettier color.

I have to reccomend aginst the gloss black/POR-15 route because then you cant tell if your seal is leaking, or if the paint is just glossy. Just a factor that i am considering...

As far as temps are concerned, I painted my wheels(crappy steelies), to body match. I just found the closest color of cheapo rattle can at wally world, like 93 cents and primered it beforehand. It holds up perfectly fine, and I would say a wheel gets WAY hotter than a diff cover does.

Good point unless your underneath your rig as much as me. I know where every little drip is coming from. I have a tranny hose I need to fix, my oil filter adapter again, that's it for now. Next week who knows :)

I went the POR15 route. Bought the starter kit, did the backing plates and diff cover, have plenty left over to do rest of axle-when I get to it.

Rand McNally said:
These look kind of cool.

http://www.quadratec.com/cgi-bin/sg...2&UREQC=3&UREQD=4&FNM=13&UID=2005022416493702

Not sure how strong they are, but for us DD that see little trail use it would look cool. Too bad they are only for Dana 44's. And I don't see a fill hole...I wonder how that fluid got in there?

$140.00......for what???????? So you can see your gears? Jeep provides you with a perfectly good cover so why not use it. You can buy front and back diff guards for that price and they will last much longer with a rock encounter.

Back