• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pacesetter headers

I know a few people have had problems with them as far as fitment goes. I have never liked them, but since they seem to be one of the only options that will not cost more than a kidney I may have to try them.

I would plan on saving extra money to have them jet coated though. That pait will burn off in about an hour.

I have them (87version) and I'm pretty happy with them. The paint burns off instantly unless you get the ceramic coated version(which I don't have), but that didn't bother me much. I had troubles with the clamps on the y - leaking and clamp getting hit by DS, so I welded them while I had the whole engine out.(I dunno how easy this would be to weld and then install header, as I installed the header/downpipe to the engine and then put the whole unit into the Jeep)
I don't think I paid that much for them(for the Renix version with more bungs), but that was a long time ago and I don't remember exact price or where I got it from, other than that it was some online truck accessory place.

All headers will have cracking issues if your motor and tranny mounts and are worn/cracked: I'd venture to say they are the culprit 90% of the time.

Does anyone know if any of the aftermarket headers have the same problem of cracking at the collector?

Normally a section of flex pipe will help stop that from happening.

Their stock coating isn't really that great either. I had some on my old car and they were starting to rust. This is the case with any header made from mild steel. Get them jet-hot coated for best durability and heat reduction, otherwise look for a SS header.

As far as performance, I noticed an overall smoothed out powerband after first installing this product.

What I mean is, when it was stock (1987) the rev range seems to have dips and peaks, most notably power seemed to be the same through low rpms, and then have a very pronounced boost somewhere around 3.5k, then petered out at the top. After installing the header, with no other changes at the same time, power seems to be pretty solid in the low end, and increase at a steady rate from 2k all the way up until the valves start to float (which I call the "Renix mechanical rev-limiter" hehe). So I don't really think that the top end is weakened at all, it actually seems to be freer, it just does not have that 4k kick in the ass that was so apparent with the stock manifold. A "more linear than stock" power increase is probably closer to what I am trying to say.

Nonetheless going by the link I assume you have a 97-99 XJ, which I have never driven and do not know what they are like with a stock manifold or otherwise. YMMV

X2 on the stock "rev-limiter." Mine seems to kick in at roughly 2,800 and acts like the second pair of barrels on a carburetor opened. New TPS, adjusted, plugs, tuneup, spray out the Idle, makes no difference. (PM me with your guaranteed cure.)

I'd like to hear from anyone who switched from stock split iron manifolds (99 up) to a Pacesetter. I speculate their may be only a subtle difference . . .

Bringing this thread back to life. I'm contiplating Pacesetter headers for my 2001. I don't really understand the difference between the 70-1190 (Cherokee w/ warm up cat. conv.) and the 70-1192 (Cherokee w/o warm up cat. conv.).

I have a cat, but what's a warm-up cat?

I read a thread on this forum from 2007. Two members reported that it ran too close to the tranny bell housing to fit-up properly. Has this issue been fixed by Pacesetter since then?

Will this kit fit my 2001 XJ?

I do a lot of city driving. I'm going to put 31" tires on, so I'm hoping this will help balance out things so I don't loose acceleration.

Last edited:
I believe the warm up cats are the two pre-cats that are on the driver's side of the engine. They are located right after collectors on the header. They look like two little black cans. If you have two little cans on the side of your engine then you need the warm up cat model, if not then you don't. If you do a Google search for I6 Jeep headers im sure you'll see what I'm speaking of.

How about exhaust note? is it better, deeper and more mellow after?

When I put the Banks on my TJ it certainly was...

Contemplating a pacesetter for the '89 MJ.

CW

I bought a set for my CJ7 and they would not line up. I called them and they said "I must have a odd CJ7". It was bone stock at the time. They refused to accept a return. I will not deal with them again. JM2C

Paceshitter. If you can weld exhaust then you can fix all the problems it will have.

I believe the warm up cats are the two pre-cats that are on the driver's side of the engine. They are located right after collectors on the header. They look like two little black cans. If you have two little cans on the side of your engine then you need the warm up cat model, if not then you don't. If you do a Google search for I6 Jeep headers im sure you'll see what I'm speaking of.

I talked to a CS guy at called Pacesetter today to ask about this. I was wondering if the two cats go between the main 6-run piece and the y-pipe that come with the 70-1190 kit. He said "no." Those two pieces go together and the pre-cat (not cats) is after it. I told him I had 2 pre-cats. He said that maybe that's the difference between 99 and 01. They've never put a header on a model after 99. Hmmmm. So the next question was would the 70-1192 kit fit my 01, ignoring the pre-cats. He said he's not sure but thinks something would hit the low piping.

Since I learned of XJ's either having pre-cats or that pinched downpipe, I've really wanted to replace my header with one that doesn't have pre-cats or a pinched tube. I feel not doing so would make the new high-flow 2.5" cat-back I bought nothing more than a noise maker. Borla has one, but there are a lot of reported cracks with it and it's not what I would call low priced. I figured Pacesetter would be the best option. What "does" fit the 01?

Rugged ridge makes one and i think borla does as well. The pacesetter guy had no idea what he was talking about. The 99 didn't have any precats.

Also, if you have precats you have a 00-01... which does not have the pinched down pipe. Have you looked at your down pipe?

Back