• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oxygen Sensor Replacement $$

Blaine B. said:
Now that I think of it, I did try a pipe wrench at first, and found a crescent to be much easier to use.....just from my own experience.

No argument - I just consider "adjustable" tools to be a weapon of last resort - but I do own a full set (ISO/inch) of 6-points, 12-points, and flare nut wrenches... And 6- and 12-point sockets (although the 6-points, in both sets, see more use.)

5-90

Ok when you have tried all the above and the damn thing still wont budge then what? I have a 92 xj and the damn thing is on there tighter than a 12 year olds vagina (sorry borat quote). I have used PB spray, ran the engine till hot, tried crescent, pipe wrench, robogrip :), open ended wrenches, and even that damn tool they make just to remove them (snaped that thing in half) and the thing still wont budge. I have allready bought the new sensor so I dont want to take it to anyone. Should I heat it with a torch? or maybe some damn C4 that will get it loose.

No, Borat's quote was "she has ass like 12 year old" or something like that...

Use a torch if everything else fails to warm the pipe around the sensor as well as the threads.

beauwoods said:
Ok when you have tried all the above and the damn thing still wont budge then what? I have a 92 xj and the damn thing is on there tighter than a 12 year olds vagina (sorry borat quote). I have used PB spray, ran the engine till hot, tried crescent, pipe wrench, robogrip :), open ended wrenches, and even that damn tool they make just to remove them (snaped that thing in half) and the thing still wont budge. I have allready bought the new sensor so I dont want to take it to anyone. Should I heat it with a torch? or maybe some damn C4 that will get it loose.

If you can't loosen the thing hot, there are two ways to use a torch - and either should work...

1) Heat the area surrounding the HEGO, but not the HEGO itself. This has the effect of enlarging the hole a couple of thousandths, which should help.

2) Grab a piece of wax for this one. Heat the sensor hex itself but not the manifold - heat until it's dull red or better. Take away the torch, touch the wax to the juncture of the HEGO and the manifold bung, and let it melt in there. The sensor has expanded due to the heat, and pushed the manifold bung along with it. The wax will get in between them as the HEGO cools, and should help to free the sensor up. This is a common trick to remove oil galley plugs from the back of an engine block - I've seen it work on plugs that have been in for thirty years!

Either way, make sure your new sensor has never-seez on the threads - the silver (nickel-based) stuff is OK, but I prefer the gold (copper-based) stuff for high heat applications.

Thanks for the suggestions, that wax one is a hell of a trick. I am pulling the heads off, so now I will be able to get a better angle at that damn thing. This Jeep is a mess but its all my fault, I neglected her for about 6 years with very minimal anything done to her, only if she needed it but I went wayyyyy over oil changes a couple times. Ahhh my younger more I dont give a damn years. Now I have decided to go through her almost completly after deciding to peer into the oil fill cap with a flashlight:doh: . Man I have never seen lifters that gummed up. So I know its off topic to this thread but anyone have any suggestions as to what I should replace aftersix years of lets say almost no maintenence?

My list so far includes:
Fuel filter
oil change ( I think now after peering inside her I should pull the pan)
Cap & Rotor
Plugs and Wires
Radiator W/ new thermostat
Tranny filter
Engine Mounts (one was half missing :( )
Air filter
Carb has been cleaned

(oh and inside I am redoing the interior and have put in a little 12" to make her boom :spin1:)

beauwoods said:
So I know its off topic to this thread but anyone have any suggestions as to what I should replace aftersix years of lets say almost no maintenence?

The engine :(

It just shows you though, what it can take, without maintenence....tough little puppy.

They are beasts I wouldnt own anything else now. I have put this thing threw hell and back almost litterally moved her from Utah to Arizona to Maine to now New Jerz. She has taken me everyhwere i wanted to go for sure, on and off road, through like 2 feet of snow on the freeway when big ass Dodge Rams and Semi's were pulling off, pop her in 4 high and go. Even without a lift on her she has been many many places I thought she couldnt make it. I plan on rebuilding the engine for sure, I took the top end off today after seeing that nasty mess in the rocker arm cover.

And it all started off with what I though was gonna be a simple tune up and some extras :bawl:

At least now maybe she will have some more life breathed into her.

beauwoods said:
Thanks for the suggestions, that wax one is a hell of a trick. I am pulling the heads off, so now I will be able to get a better angle at that damn thing. This Jeep is a mess but its all my fault, I neglected her for about 6 years with very minimal anything done to her, only if she needed it but I went wayyyyy over oil changes a couple times. Ahhh my younger more I dont give a damn years. Now I have decided to go through her almost completly after deciding to peer into the oil fill cap with a flashlight:doh: . Man I have never seen lifters that gummed up. So I know its off topic to this thread but anyone have any suggestions as to what I should replace aftersix years of lets say almost no maintenence?

My list so far includes:
Fuel filter
Cap & Rotor
Plugs and Wires
Tranny filter
Air filter
Carb has been cleaned

(oh and inside I am redoing the interior and have put in a little 12" to make her boom :spin1:)

If you're going to pull the head, leave the HEGO alone until you have the manifold on the bench. Don't install the new one until you have the manifold and head back in place - so you don't break the damn thing putting it back in...

Are all O2 sensors the same, or Is there a difference in quality between the name brand units and the absolute cheapest discount part?

I am new to all this crap, but to me the o2 sensors seem like they would all be basically the same. mine ran for around 50 dollars at Autozone.

I will take the above into consideration when removing everything, and I will not remove the o2 sensor until the hego is removed from the engine and wont put the new one on until she is mounted back on the engine.

I dont think I have ever worked on a car that is as easy yo get at mostly everything as this Jeep is. They are great rides.

Thanks Blaine & 5-90, and the rest.

Biggest difference Ive seen with O2 sensors is the electrical connection... gotta pay more to get one with a factory connection instead of just wires ready for splicing. Not having to worry about that connection when I was tracking down electrical gremlins was worth the extra $$$ to me...

beauwoods said:

My list so far includes:
Fuel filter
Cap & Rotor
Plugs and Wires
Tranny filter
Air filter
Carb has been cleaned

by the fact that you said "heads" and "carb", I would say get rid of the 2.8 and drop a 4.0 in.

Sorry not too engine savy, I pulled the rocker arm cover off, and I could have swore the thing underneath of it was the head (plural) and isnt that a carb, that the air intake goes onto that is bolted onto the ummmm exauhst thingamajig :laugh:. This is my first engine I have fealt able to play with, and we have a 03 implala so we can get around so I have mad time to tinker on her.

It is a 4.0 though. I just pulled (what I think is called the head) off and took a look at the pistons and they are beautiful I am really impressed with her.

I am sorry if my terms are not correct, I am new to engine anything really but armed with a Haynes I feel all mighty:eek: .

So I'm going to tackle the doggone o2 sensors and was wondering what size wrench to use on these bad boys. I've got 4 total but am only going to replace the 2 upstream ones. (doggone california jeep).

Back