• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Overheating at low speed (new coolant, new tstat, new fan clutch)

I had my 89 flushed out at the rad shop over a year ago..I run my A/C during the summer to get out of the 108 or higher temps in the desert..My jeep hits 210 sitting at long lights..But before i did this it always ran hot..Plus i offroad in these temps too..

Have you monitored the temperature without the AC on? Im assuming here, but with how hot its been it seems logical that you have been running the vehicle with the AC on. If im right, shut it off, and monitor the temps and see what happens then.

Are you asking me or Digger? The temp usually goes down about 5F with the AC off. Sometimes it makes no difference

I'm gonna leave my cooling system alone for now since it's not overheating too bad. In regular driving it doesn't even hit the notch above 210, so maybe that's normal. If I didn't have a Scangauge I wouldn't even know it was running hot.

But I noticed today walking by one of the Liberties that the County has that they have a pusher fan mounted in front of the radiator. I wonder if one of those can fit in front of an XJ's rad. That would be a fun mod, and even if it doesn't solve my overheating an extra fan is a useful feature.

I have had water pumps do that, what happened is the impeller slips on the shaft. The resistance from the water doesnt let it spin fast at idle or low rpm, at higher rpm it will allow efficient enough flow to lower the temp. to normal. Even the new replacement water pumps I will TIG a couple spot welds to the impeller and shaft.

Have you tried running a commercial grade flush--the 500 mile kind?

Joe,

Can you provide a brand name or maybe a URL to your recommended product?

Joe,

Can you provide a brand name or maybe a URL to your recommended product?

Prestone Super Radiator Cleaner is one you put in and drive for 3 to 6 hours, can be over several days.

Bar's Leaks Super Radiator Flush same 3-6 hours driving as Prestone.

Zerex Radiator Super Cleaner

CLR--although I have never used it personally, and don't have any recommendations on how long to leave it in.

NOTE: Some of the products are NOT SUITABLE FOR ALUMINUM.

DO NOT USE CLR

Had some experience with it? I saw it mentioned on another board where they were discussing muriatic acid mix as a possible flush.

The manufacturer of CLR says not to use it. The stuff attacks aluminum, lead (solder), rubber and silicon, pretty much everything in the cooling system.

Google for CLR radiator

Yeah, general consensus is not such a good idea for CLR.

Thanks for your input.

Prestone Super Radiator Cleaner is one you put in and drive for 3 to 6 hours, can be over several days.

Bar's Leaks Super Radiator Flush same 3-6 hours driving as Prestone.

Zerex Radiator Super Cleaner

CLR--although I have never used it personally, and don't have any recommendations on how long to leave it in.

NOTE: Some of the products are NOT SUITABLE FOR ALUMINUM.

Much thanks joe.

NOT to hijack thread but my 99 just did same thing at bumper to bumper speeds w/ AC on max. The check gauges light came on . I turned off ac and temp went back to 210. Any ideas?

Back