• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Overheater new to the board

5-90 said:
So, while the AMC242 has a design operating temperature of 210-215*F, it's not absolutely necessary to maintain that. It can be reduced slightly with no ill effects.

5-90

Do not go to a 160* t-stat. It will put your system into a "closed loop" where it will not process any info from the sensors (like 02) The engine runs in the "closed loop" when it is cold and 160* is cold for a Renix. Just some experience talking.

Neil

Neil said:
Do not go to a 160* t-stat. It will put your system into a "closed loop" where it will not process any info from the sensors (like 02) The engine runs in the "closed loop" when it is cold and 160* is cold for a Renix. Just some experience talking.

Neil

I don't - I run 180* in all my rigs, save one (which overheats with any thermostat - I've talked about him before. No, I don't know why either...)

By the by - the engine runs in "open loop" until it warms up (~190*F coolant temperature, as I recall,) then it switches into "closed loop" or "feedback" mode.

Open Loop operation does not use the HEGO sensor input to balance and fine-tune fuel metering.

Closed Loop operation not only relies upon the various input signals (MAP/IAT/CTS/TPS/&c.) sensors to meter fuel, but uses the HEGO sensor signal to "fine-tune" fuel metering.

I've heard a lot about RENIX running "too cold," but I've been able to pull the operating temperature down to ~195*F without any trouble, a slight gain in fuel mileage, and a slight reduction in tailpipe emissions. In short - the engine actually runs a bit better with the operating temperature slightly depressed. I'd not want to go lower than, say, 190*F, but at 195*F, I've not had any trouble...

5-90

5-90 said:
I don't - I run 180* in all my rigs, save one (which overheats with any thermostat - I've talked about him before. No, I don't know why either...)

By the by - the engine runs in "open loop" until it warms up (~190*F coolant temperature, as I recall,) then it switches into "closed loop" or "feedback" mode.

Open Loop operation does not use the HEGO sensor input to balance and fine-tune fuel metering.

Closed Loop operation not only relies upon the various input signals (MAP/IAT/CTS/TPS/&c.) sensors to meter fuel, but uses the HEGO sensor signal to "fine-tune" fuel metering.

I've heard a lot about RENIX running "too cold," but I've been able to pull the operating temperature down to ~195*F without any trouble, a slight gain in fuel mileage, and a slight reduction in tailpipe emissions. In short - the engine actually runs a bit better with the operating temperature slightly depressed. I'd not want to go lower than, say, 190*F, but at 195*F, I've not had any trouble...

5-90

I was just agreeing with your "you can reduce the temp slightly" comment. When I first got my Jeep I thought the guys at the auto parts store knew what they were talking about. They suggested the 160* "performance" t-stat. I have a 195* in now and it works great! When I had the 160* in I was getting about 10 mpg and could smell unburned gas at the exhaust tip (ruined the cat too). So I agree with 5-90 that slightly is the key.

I also converted to an open system recently( I was given the radiator). I ran a closed system for about 4-5 years with no overheating issues. The key is to "burp" the air and maintain the system.

Neil

Sweet. If you haven't changed the radiator yet, it's likely the cause of most RENIX overheating issues - so please do tell us (not you personally, but anyone who's turned this up in a search. I'm sure there are still a few RENIX rigs using OEM radiators...) if you've changed the radiator, since it will change troubleshooting steps...

And, don't replace the OEM RENIX with an OEM part - use a quality aftermarket (like Modine or CSF, for instance.) Or, you're probably going to run into teh same issue again...

5-90

Back