• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Overhead Console Question hopeully this is an easy one

2001Jeepman

NAXJA Forum User
Hello everyone, i am new here and am having a problem with replacing my existing overhead console computer. I've searched everywhere for an answer and am crossing my fingers so here goes

I recently purchased a 2001 Jeep Cherokee Limited XJ (I believe is the term) The overhead mini computer did not work. I checked the fuses and all seems good. I checked the unit harness and noticed that it is not getting power. Ive searched around to see how this gets power and have not seen any information on it.

Thanks in advance

I noticed that there are around 6 wires that are in the harness that goes to the computer. 4 are black and 1 is white / the other is purple. Does the white and purple wires need to be powered?

The 3 wire connector (Pink, Yellow, Black ) is power for the console lights. It plugs in at the top of the interior fuse box. Pink wire connects to fuse #16 (15a) in the Power Distribution Center next to the battery.

The wht/blk console wire gets power from the interior fusebox, fuse#9, 10 amp.
Click on link - http://fototime.com/EB215000AEABC5C/standard.jpg

Last edited:
These are the 2 wires I am referring. I checked the fuse and still have no power going to either one.

This pic is for another thread, I wanted to indicate the wires since he had it off. Thanks in advance.

moddedpic.jpg

yes my friend they are white/black and violet/brn. what is the ccd bus and is it suppose to supply power? Thanks

The console is getting power, as the lights are functional. The computer is not getting power to any of the wires. Not sure where it is suppose to get power.

The CCD bus carries data, and connects to the CCD bus that connects to the rest of the XJs sytems (PCM, TCM, Speedometer...).

I don't see the item you indicate as a computer in the FSM pages 8W-49-4 though 8W-49-9, so I am to conclude that Jeep considers this part of either the Compass or Overhead Council, which would supply display power.

Ok, sorry it is the device that shows the display. I believe that they call it a module, I am calling it a computer. I looked at the thread and could not see where power is supplied to that device my friends. BTW. Thanks so much for your help thus far :)

Click on the link provided above, it is a schematic diagram of your 2001 OHC. The wire colors and wire functions are noted in the diagram.

CCD bus are the data signal wires that provide the info to the display.

If you have tested all the console wires for continuity, it might be correct to assume that your display is faulty.

Last edited:
I have, I also tested the display for continuity and it is not being supplied power. I was thinking,is there another unit I am not seeing in the overhead?

The OHC is self contained. It uses data on the CCD bus from the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) main computer to display its data. I don't know if the Console does the calculation or the PCM does the calculations.

Since the OHC is plug and play, there are no other modules or parts. If yours does not work it is a wiring, fuse, or display issue.

Problem solved!! I traced the harness back to the rear of the dash where it was disconnected. Once connected, it fired right up

I purchased a 2nd computer that I do not need now, but I am still happy as I now have a working trip computer :)

Thanks a million my friends :party:

Back