• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Overhead console help

Hwood90

NAXJA Forum User
Hello, so I've acquired a 92' XJ with all the bells and whistles including the overhead console, but it doesn't work. I plan to swap everything into my comanche so I went ahead and grabbed a Grand Cherokee overhead console (1996-1998) when I ran across it at the junk yard. My question though, how can i connect this to my existing wiring so my front map lights and thermometer/compass work? Don't really care about the other features right now, thanks!

I think it may be a PCM issue as the overhead console at least in later years Cherokee's is connected and operated through the PCM which may include and rely on functions from the CCD bus.

If you can find a wiring diagram for your 92 and then compare to a wiring diagram for a 96 - 98 Grand or XJ Cherokee. You may be able to re-wire the JY console into your 92. However all the additional wiring, splicing, etc. could become impractical. There's probably a few on the net that have done something similar.

My overhead console on a 98 XJ is basically for lighting and security features. The security features are tied directly to my PCM and CCD bus through connectors up inside the console. I suppose could be spliced into an earlier XJ if the pinouts were known.

I would first look in a 92 Jeep XJ service manual, which should have pinouts and basic wiring diagrams. Then compare them to the pinouts and wiring diagrams for a Grand Cherokee (96-98).

Last edited:
Back