• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Overhead console light question

MJ4BTA

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
This is probably gonna seem like a dumb question, but, do the front map lights in the overhead console come on with the doors? I just had the compass module rebuilt due to it being burnt/dead on arrival from a eBay seller and just got it recovered and installed late last nite. The rear lights work with the buttons and the door switch, but the fronts only work with the buttons.
Its been over 20 years since ive been in an XJ with an overhead console.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

On my '90XJ, the front lights only come on when the button is pushed. The rear lights come on when the doors open or when the headlight switch is turned fully to the left.

Thats a relief and one less thing on the list to finish on this thing. Thank you for the quick reply.

Actually. I do hate to be that guy. But I did just finish a complete conversation of a ohc from a 99 classic into my 97 sport. Everything works even down to my keyless entry. All four of my lights come on when I open my doors. But again. Maybe I did something strange. I’m pretty sure my wiring was spot on. Maybe it’s just mine. But honestly. I wouldn’t sweat it.

I put a '99 OHC in my '00 and mine does the same as Ahvicha.
The OP does not say what year.
Maybe older ones are different and work like tjmotter says his does.

91 style OHC and harness into 96 XJ. I think the 91 to 93 harness was the same and 95/96 were the same from the pics and part numbers i can find, with 94 unconfirmed. I had to change one connector on the harness to get it to work in my 96. The only reason i added the OHC is to cover part of the seam in the headliner i cut down the center to get it around installed around the cage. And if its there, i want the lights working correctly.

Back