• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Over kill Come-along?

hillbilly_jeeper

NAXJA Member #1081
Just picked this up for free from work.
comealong.jpg

I think its either sweedish or swish made. My dad got it years ago when he bought the first rope-tow ski lift at work. Came with the lift. Used for streaching cable. On to the good stuff. Its rated at alittle over 10,000#'s. Yes, that is 10,000#'s. The cable is a pull-though design, so the only limit to the length of your pull is how much cable is on it. Right now, it has about 50 feet of 5/16 lift cable. Its also double acting, so your pulling with both movements of the handle. Same with reversing it out. And it can free-wheel. Its a little heavyer, and alittle bigger the your standard come-along, but nicer that using a high-lift, or a cheapo harbor freight come-along(shown for size reference). Sure, a winch would be nicer, and less effort, but for free, its a pretty good second. They where used by the military of whatever the country of origin was, so they can occasionally be found at surplus stores, but usually for $100 or more.

Neat stuff, could you post the data plate, I´d like to research the company and see what they offer.

8Mud said:
Neat stuff, could you post the data plate, I´d like to research the company and see what they offer.
Later tonight, i'll try to post what i can. Since i cleaned it up, some of the data is hard to read. I'll try to get a name and stuff. I know it was made in 1988.

While I am lazy and like a powered winch, this looks like a sweet piece of hardware that could even augment a winch.

The Army uses those comealongs on several of their ships for raising deck hatches and such.... Nice to pick up, just a pain in the behind to use IMO. Just keep it good and lubricated or it will give you heck.

Been working great at work for over 10 years. It only just started slipping and needed to be cleaned and more then anything, the old oily cable replaced. And its the easyest come-along i've ever opererated. You pull a lever, the cable slides out nicely, you hook it up, relese the lever, and crank on the handle. Then only minor inconvieniance is having to roll up the cable yourself when your done.

I dont have any info on mine yet, ive been to buisy to look at it, but i found some info online on similar units, By the name tirfor(UK), and griphoist here. but they are rather expensive new.

Back