• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OTK Steering and Trackbar

the_weirdo

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I currently run 33's on ~5" of lift. Trackbar is RE 1660 double shear, steering is JCR UTK. Soon to add 35's and chromo shafts. I'm a crummy driver and I'm tired of smacking my tie rod on every rock. Time for the steering to move up a few inches. I'm thinking of 2 options:

1) Convert to OTK by getting a new tie rod end from JCR, make a new trackbar or modify the RE one that I have.
PRO's:
a) Cheaper than buying Currie steering by about $150.
CON's:
a) Need to find some knuckles and ream them.
b) Still have slight roll of the drag link (but much better than it is now)
c) Have to modify the trackbar and move it up to match the angle

2) Buy Currie steering and use a goferit flip on the drivers side.
PRO's:
a) No need to do anything to the trackbar.
b) Already have the goferit spacers so I can re-use my current knuckles by drilling out and welding these in.
CON's:
a) Currie costs $400.
b) Non-replaceable tie rod end on the passenger side. Replacement parts are cheaper for the OTK setup.

Questions:
Which option do you think I should choose?
If I go with option 1 and make a new track bar, what tube size should I use?

Couldn't you drill out your knuckles and do the flip inserts for your convert of your current steering?
For the track bar, raise the mount on the axle side and make a straight trackbar? .250" dom tube?

Couldn't you drill out your knuckles and do the flip inserts for your convert of your current steering?
For the track bar, raise the mount on the axle side and make a straight trackbar? .250" dom tube?

No I cannot drill out for the current steering - the JCR OTK uses bigger tie-rod ends than stock so the knuckles are already drilled and reamed for those. For OTK steering I would need to get some knuckles that have not been drilled/reamed. There does not appear to be enough meat in the knuckle to drill a 1" hole for 1-ton spacers.

instead of currie steering why dont you use some JY Zj setup(drag link and tie rod) youll spend like 40$ or less at PNP and go over the knuckle with that setup for the mean time, sell your current setup to recoup costs, at this point you are ahead of the game iwth more cash in your pocket, and sit and wait for a used currie setup in good shape to sell for around 180-200(im sure there will be a few coming soon) , at that point sell your zj setup to recoups some more costs.

I'm going to go with Currie and flip the driver side to OTK. Its the least amount of work and the money works out about the same if I sell my JCR UTK.

Nice.

Im running just the stock drag link, with a dom tie rod that I made, and of course the go fer it flip. It works awesome.

The only weakness is the draglink. But the currie setup will solve that for you.

i got a DOM OTK in the for sale...

Back