• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Other full lifetime warranty batteries besides Optima?

bradleyheathhays

NAXJA Forum User
This hardly exists anymore but I'm wondering if there's a full lifetime warranty battery out there, possibly from one of the major auto stores...oriely's, zone, advanced, koi, car quest, napa.

Someone told me Optima are lifetime but not sure if they're sold locally.

Optima actually has one of the worst warranties. It may have changed but it used to be 2 years. I had two different batteries die at 2 years 1 month.

For supposedly being one of the best batteries, they have a crappy track record. Some people get lucky and have no problems, but most I hear about a crap.

Back in the day when they were made in the USA, they were pretty good. They moved the manufacturing to Mexico and things went to hell.

I have had an Exide AGM for 4 years now with no problems.

I've had mixed experience with Optimas. The one in my XJ is at least 5 years old and still working well. But the Optima in my other car failed after three years. I bought another, and am keeping my fingers firmly crossed.

What exact model of Exide battery is comparable? The AGM ones I have seen appear to be deep-cycle boat batteries.... is there some other version designed for road vehicles?

iirc the autozone AGMs are deka rebadged and have a pretty good warranty.

I've had mixed experience with Optimas. The one in my XJ is at least 5 years old and still working well. But the Optima in my other car failed after three years. I bought another, and am keeping my fingers firmly crossed.

What exact model of Exide battery is comparable? The AGM ones I have seen appear to be deep-cycle boat batteries.... is there some other version designed for road vehicles?

marine grade deep cycle does not preclude a battery from use in a road driven vehicle.

Optimas are not lifetime, but it is a full warranty if the battery dies within the two years (or whatever the duration is).

I know because I had one warranted within the last 12 months. I am not particularly pleased with the need for that service however.

Only lifetime battery warranty I have ever heard of was JC Penney, and that was several decades back. I do know of someone who was benefiting from that warranty up to a couple of years ago or so. They may have finally given up on it, but he got more than his money's worth out of that one battery purchase. I can't imagine anyone ever offering such a warranty again, but if someone does I would seriously consider it. Unless it is someone like Sears who is just circling the drain.

Costco sells Interstate batteries. 42 month is the current warranty. Unlike most other places, you can "warranty" the battery without them testing it.
Batteries I have had replaced from them have mostly been my fault, as far as killing/draining the battery. 2+ years on them, and either leaving lights on, or letting the heep sit for too long.

Some years ago I bought a Yellow Top Optima because the Red Top in my truck was 8-9 years old and still working. It did not last. It was shorted internally. My Jeep could not even be jump started with it connected to the wiring. Then I was down at my buddy's shop who had a stack of Optimas. They were dying on him too. Today my local 4wd shop tells me that Yellow Tops last longer than Red Tops, but I still ain't buying one. Batteries are more or less consumables. I look for the one that's easiest to get replaced because batteries don't always fail on sunny warm days. This usually leads me to Auto Zone. I go with their Golds. Less than 3 years and its a free replacement, after that its prorated. Although today it may only be 2 years since they introduced the Platinum line. Back in the 1990's you could have a battery for 10 years but I'm not sure anyone makes them that good these days. I do believe the folks saying Deka/East Penn is the way to go.

Last edited:
Of course I find this out 6 months AFTER I bought an optima. Womp womp.

Well when it dies 2 years and a month from now I guess I'll be going with east penn AGM's than hahaha

You might want to look at Odyssey batteries. Expensive, but the extreme series has a full 4 year warranty. When my last Red Top was going out I went with an Odyssey (mostly because of the design, extra capacity and deep cycle capability and because nearly every time I've had a problem starting the jeep after a day out it was because of the battery). It also started to die after a little over two years, and it was replaced at no charge, so the warranty is real. About 3 years on this one and no problems yet.

You might want to look at Odyssey batteries. Expensive, but the extreme series has a full 4 year warranty. When my last Red Top was going out I went with an Odyssey (mostly because of the design, extra capacity and deep cycle capability and because nearly every time I've had a problem starting the jeep after a day out it was because of the battery). It also started to die after a little over two years, and it was replaced at no charge, so the warranty is real. About 3 years on this one and no problems yet.

As per Odyssey*, the DieHard Platinum AGM is the exact same battery that has been rebranded. I decided to go with it because it has a longer replacement period and longer overall warranty. In addition they are stocked at the two local sears stores though I'm not sure about K-Mart stores.

:arrowr: * I did not save the link confirming this statement, I did hunt it down for verification.

The DieHard Platinum size 34 seems to be no longer available from Sears. While EnerSys makes Odyssey and used to make DieHard Platinum, there seems to be some discussion online as to whether or not they were actually the same internally. In any case, it looks like a moot point. Sears now offers the DieHard Gold instead for that size. Lots of posts say the Odyssey and DieHard Platinum are the same, but they mostly go back a couple of years. If someone can find the MSDS for the battery that should list the true manufacturer in any case. I'd like to know myself. I'm not fond of Sears any more, but that's another story...

I have heard some negative comments about buying Odyssey's direct. When it comes to batteries, I look for the easiest warranty because chances are they are going to fail at some point or another, and its probably not going to be at the most convenient time. Sears may be the best for their Die Hard as there are a lot of Sears still around. I have heard that O'Reilly's are Deka/East Penn if that suits your fancy.

Autozone Gold battery. As long as you don't plan on flipping over and spilling battery acid. AZ has a good warranty and they have stores everywhere. As soon as the battery starts acting up, just go to the store and they will put in a new one for you. Batteries rarely last me longer than 3 years for me and the Gold's are warantied fully for 3 years and pro rated for year 4 and 5. In the real world, that's as good as a lifetime battery. AZ also will have your reciept logged in their system so you don't need to keep up with the reciept. I bought a autozone gold battery for my girlfriend and her mother said I was a keeper. So, don't buy one of these unless you are interested in marage.

I have had ok luck with optima. One died within warranty and had it replaced no problems. The others lasted longer than the warranty from what I remember. Az heat kills batteries and I don't expect more than 2-3 years anymore. I used to buy the cheap walmart batteries but decided to step to optima and think its been worth the money.

I had a nightmare of a time with sears over a diehard battery a long time ago and refuse to go there again. I had a higher end diehard batter that was dead after less than a year. They had me drag it up and they charged it over night(i had my own battery tender and tried that already). They pulled it off the charger and it showed good when they handed it to me. I'd take it home and not even hook it up just set it in the car. The next day it was dead and we repeated that process a few times. I kept asking for a replacement and they refused saying it was taking a charge and clearly my vehicle killing it, despite not being hooked up. I bought a a cheap walmart battery and it was fine for years in that car. I emailed corp and all of that and was told if it takes a charge they wouldnt replace it.

I spotted this at Pep Boys, but couldn't find anyone to give me a price.

I just put a Red Top in my 70 Charger and what a difference! It spins that 440 over really fast so I'm sold on AGM battery tech. at the very least. It cost about 150.00 and was delivered in 48 hours using Amazon. That Bosch AGM was listed at over twice the price.

Back