• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OT: Beer choices

Rawbrown said:
Its not as expensive as one might assume.
My local hombrew shop sells a basic BYO kit starting at about $130 I think.
I am now brewing hard cider in 3 gallon batches. did one at about 5% and it taste like apple juice. but you get buzzed off it. have a second batch brewing with a different type of juice which should be yummy. Learn to make mead, its more wine like.
Different types of beer are much easier to find when you make it yourself.
You can make a sweet beer with ease.
Ill buy a batch of cider from ya :cheers:

I'm a loner... the only way to get beer from me is to hang out with me. Either when I'm brewing something, or just haning out in the garage, or on the trail... wait... scratch that... At camp after being on the trail. There is no way to keep a keg cold on the trail while keeping the wieght down. Even 3 gallons of beer and all the ice to keep it cold is gonna weight to much. Not to mention all the sloshing around is not good for the carbonation. Nobody likes tapin a foamy beer.
Honestly, I'd much rather help someone to learn to make there own beer, its amazingly easy and fairly cheap to get started.

As a matter of fact, I am going outside to drink about a gallon ofhard cider and make 10 gallons of my CA cream Ale. That was the first one to disappear up at the SocalXJ Jambo. I think it was gone by the first night. So I am making 10 gallons this time. and it cost me a whole $30 for the grain and hops... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Lion Grrrrr said:
:cheers: For you IPA lover try White Hawk that I get at Trader Joes .Its a nice hoppie brew and its 70 al content .Its from Mendocino Brewing out of Ukiah .I am off to BevMo to get some of the Arrogrant bastard to try .
I will have a mix of different at Big Bear.

:party: :party: Lion

That stuff is pretty good. What are some good SoCal Breweries? There is Firestone Walker here in SLO but nothing that I have had really competes with any of the beer from Humboldt. From what I can tell NorCal has SoCal beat in the beer department. I also seems that wine is a lot bigger down here as well. I would like to try some good beer from SoCal though because I am tired of paying $9 a six pack for Lost Coast stuff when I can get a case for $18 in Eureka.

Ballast point brewing has some killer stuff. I was at there tasting room a week and a half ago. Yes free tasting... They had a Double IPA on tap. Over 100 IBU's and 9% abv... Awsome stuff, I drank a quart of it and was smoked inside of 30 minutes. there stuff is available all around. have found there black marline porter in a local sports bar. and then of course Stone is litteraly a throw away from me in san marcos/escondido.

Back