• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

optima batt.

I have a red top in my 0ld 78 ford truck. that truck was sitting for the last 3 months of winter here,without being started. I went out yesterday morning when it was 12 degrees out,and tried starting the truck. I cranked and cranked for at least 5 minutes and the engine finally got fuel and started up. during all that cranking,the battery never lost charge or slowed cranking speed. this battery is 2 years old. I am sold!!

I killed my red top about a year ago, after having it for like 4 years. I killed it though, kept running it down dead, which really isn't good for em.

Replaced it with a yellow top. Saved my hide a few months ago when my alternator died, was able to drive home at night, no problems.

pulled my red top after I ran it all the way down. 1.4 volts on my meter. She would not charge after jumping. Even after 20 min on fast idle. Replaced it on the trail. It did take a charge but it took all night on a charger.
For most Cherokee any good lead/acid will do the gob if you Jeep is going to start at all. Plus it with take a jump easily.
Unless you winch I just can't see the need for a Jell-O battery.

People run gel batteries so they don't have battery acid run everywhere when they roll over.

I've run my red top flat dead several times, even left it dead for a week or two here and there, it always takes a charge again.

The only bad thing I can say about my Red Top is that if you let some other idiot hook up some jumper cables to his vehicle you are at risk of welding your cables to his. I've had mine in the XJ since Oct '00 and it has served me very well. I've left lights on during the day at ski resorts a couple times and then just gotten a jump and was good to go. It started my XJ in Potsdam, NY (might as well be Canada) for 4 winters including several times at well below zero including one time at -40 and then proceeded to run the vehicle for a while and jump another (which basically started off my Optima and not his). This weekend I had a wiring "issue" and it tried come heck, high water, and the wrong firing order for quite some time to crank the engine over. Once we finally realized we had plug wires on wrong it cranked it right up, despite having to reset my radio presets. I also used it to run my power inverter when I jig-sawed the holes in my hood for the hood vents. I'll buy one again.

Look at Odyssy batteries too

Well my redtop came in today and I installed it. Good thing too because my carquest battery took a beating on my last wheeling adventure and it actually started to leak acid. I hope this one will serve me well but I guess time will tell.

My red top was in for about 1.5 years and died. It didn't suddenly die though, and only needed a jump or charge after sitting for several hours. I replaced it under warrenty, and have had no more problems. I also found out they have the 2 year free replacment, but are also pro-rated for like 8 years!

I like the fact that when it's good, it's GOOD! My Alternator went out once and I made the 50min drive home just fine on the battery...oh, and it was at night with my lights on! It didn't start back up the next morning, but it got me home.
cal said:
People run gel batteries so they don't have battery acid run everywhere when they roll over.
I also like them for this reason, they are safer and can be mounted in any position.

ZachMan said:
Look at Odyssy batteries too

I have heard good things about these too, they basically use the same design.

Yeah, I think I am going with Odyssey for my next battery. They have a little higher specs compared to the same size yellow top Optima's and cost less. Also, I like the fact they are military specs and I have seen some superior life out of these compared to other batteries.

dphillips said:
Had a yellow top take a dump at about 14 months. Just died all of the sudden. Now the red top in my wifes exterra is having a hard time holding a charge and it's less than 8 months old.
I won't ever buy another optima. They are crap in my experience. Don't waste the money.

Old thread:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=899661&highlight=optima+yellow+crap

exactly opposite experience, nothing but optimas for me and the wife. Never lets me down, and has even regained enough charge on its own to start the jeep the next morning after the aux fans stayed on for 3 hours.

I had a yellow top for my old TJ, with Winch, lights and stereo accessories. Contrary to what has been said on other posts Optima does recommend them to start your vehicles, or at least implies it (by not mentioning a dual setup). This is from their webpage.

The OPTIMA YellowTop

Demand more from your vehicle? Then get more from your battery. OPTIMA YellowTop batteries are made for the extremes. If you have an extreme vehicle, you expect high performance. Whether your vehicle is made to take the abuse of off-road driving or cranking out decibels, you need more from your battery. OPTIMA batteries with patented SPIRALCELL® Technology deliver that performance. The deep cycle characteristic of this technology coupled with its extreme resistance to vibration provides performance vehicles with the repetitive power they need in a spill-proof package.

If your vehicle has a lot of accessories like running lights, high-performance stereo/AV system, winches, or hydraulics, your vehicle demands more from its battery. OPTIMA YellowTOP batteries provide the extra performance and deep cycling capability that your vehicle demands.

The best advice I have read here is do not use the yellow top as the "primary" battery to start your vehicle. If I knew then what I know now I would have purchased a dual battery tray with the red top as the primary starting source and the yellowtop for all the accessories. My yellowtop died in about 2 years all because I believed the sales folks and literature.:bawl:

If your going to use a designated starting battery in a dual battery setup then why bother with a yellow top? Just go with a true deep cycle like a blue top or a marine battery for the auxillary stuff.

Back