• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Opinions

NewBreedCustom

NAXJA Forum User
I need some feedback. Who likes/prefers the felpro rubber gasket for an oil pan. Or I have heard a lot of people have success with the great stuff gasket maker. Which one do you guys prefer? I have tried the felpro 3 times with limited to no success. I can't get the back of the pan by the rear main to seat right. I have tried the string trick, tacking it with sealant to keep it held down during installation and dry. Opinions and suggestions would be great!! Thanks

I vote for Gasket Maker. It simply works. Now getting a valve cover or oil pan off after using it can require some expertise, I would rather have that than a leak.

I've never had any issues with the felpro gaskets on the oil pan. I always use the little plastic installation studs and put a bit of rtv in all the corners and the edges where it drops down.

Head on valve cover, the pan on the oil pan.

I've always re-used the OEM oil pan and valve cover gaskets..... Sealed with a thin layer of Ultra Blue. Never any leaks.

Wrong. gooping on the rtv doesn't do anything.
laying it thin and smooth like a paper gasket would be get best results.

I use the Felpro rubber gasket and use 3M spray trim adhesive to glue it to the block.

That's a good idea. I always use hi-tack on regular gaskets but the heavier fel-pro pan gaskets I just rely on a few dabs of rtv and the little plastic studs.

That's a good idea. I always use hi-tack on regular gaskets but the heavier fel-pro pan gaskets I just rely on a few dabs of rtv and the little plastic studs.

This. As little rtv as possible. Matter of fact, the only rtv on a 4.0 is the 4 dabs on the pan.

They're called Snap-ups

es72863_top.jpg

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d....oap?ck=Search_N0717_-1_-1&pt=N0717&ppt=C0374

No way, never. Over tightening would never cause a gasket to leak. :rolleyes:

Another trick is to take a socket and ball-peen hammer to all the bolt holes in the pan. Dimple the bolt holes away from the gasket surface a bit. This helps make sure the pan itself is getting pressure across the gaps between bolts instead of the bolt area bottoming out.

wish i could say the same mine still has a leack after the oil filter adapter, think its the rms wich i replaced a few months ago so fml but there is also a tranny coolant line that leaks to..i hate messing with em haha

Back