• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Opinion's on Roof Racks

yeah, that combined with some additional protection like Bent's rack.

Bent, I know your rack saved your a-pillar, but do you think you could have avoided the flop if you didn't have all that extra weight up there?

goodburbon said:
Bent, I know your rack saved your a-pillar, but do you think you could have avoided the flop if you didn't have all that extra weight up there?
Nope, bad line. A few months later I was up there with one of the guys (Slims XJ) here in the SoCal Chapter. I tried to tell him, keep way to the left, but no, nobody listens to me. He flopped in the exact same spot, crushed his "A" pillar with no rack or spare on top. His rig even sits a couple of inches lower than mine.

DSC03148.jpg

:D
That's his passenger getting out.

Last edited:
I ran a con-ferr rack for a few weeks... then decided I liked the jeep better without it.

I run the Con Ferr 4" Rack, 60 inches long. They used to offer larger/taller racks as well, they were in business 2 years ago, but I can't find them now (lots of used stuff available, however). I have a welded steel mesh floor in the rack. It attaches to the stock roof rack rails. It is extremely strong with 8 attachment points (doesn't even groan under my 250 pounds) but also very heavy and hard to keep from rusting. Taking it off is a 30 minute job. I do make use of it to carry a 2nd spare on long/difficult trips, and for other stuff from time to time. I have been thinking of using it to build a roof-top tent. It is easily strong enough.
CV4wheeler

DSC00839.jpg

DSC00838.jpg

Combination Yakima & Surco. I used Yakima towers on factory rack rails and customs mounts for the Surco rack. I hated how high the Surco stood over the roof line with their Yakima mounts. The addition of the wind deflector makes the rack completely inaudible.

JEEPZZ said:
I was just going to say that; "Didn't Confer go out of business a fews years ago? :D

Would explain why their webside is dead

cv4wheeler said:
I run the Con Ferr 4" Rack, 60 inches long. They used to offer larger/taller racks as well, they were in business 2 years ago, but I can't find them now (lots of used stuff available, however). I have a welded steel mesh floor in the rack. It attaches to the stock roof rack rails. It is extremely strong with 8 attachment points (doesn't even groan under my 250 pounds) but also very heavy and hard to keep from rusting. Taking it off is a 30 minute job. I do make use of it to carry a 2nd spare on long/difficult trips, and for other stuff from time to time. I have been thinking of using it to build a roof-top tent. It is easily strong enough.
CV4wheeler

I run the same one, helluva rack. I agree about the rusting, their paint job was crappy. I sandblasted mine, POR-15 it with 3 coats and then applied 3 coats of Rustoleum satin black while it was still tacky. Finish came out awesome and it is pretty darn hard and scratch resistant. Hopefully this will do it.

Stone Dragon, Do you have any pictures of the mounting rails from the inside? Did you just pass the bolts through and tighten them with a nut on the inside without any other support on the bottom?

This may seem like a total Noob question but ill give it a shot.

How do you guys with lifted jeeps get a 30+ tire to the roof?

I have a 31in spare and was toying with the idea of pulling a Land Rover ladder to mount to my XJ when I do go ahead and get a rack.

You guys ever see that before?

yeah, there is somewhat recent thread with a roof rack/ladder combo somewhere on here. Looks pretty sweet. I personally don't run a tire on the roof, it's going on the rear swing out when it comes.

Plays For Jeeps said:
This may seem like a total Noob question but ill give it a shot.

How do you guys with lifted jeeps get a 30+ tire to the roof?

I have a 31in spare and was toying with the idea of pulling a Land Rover ladder to mount to my XJ when I do go ahead and get a rack.

You guys ever see that before?

open a rear door.

Just a quick note...
JCR has snuck a preview of their upcoming rack out at winterfest, its the coolest rack ive seen, using the factory mounting holes and was super tough looking! Give them a call and harass them about it before you go buy a rack!
SW_MI_XJ is the one that has the prototype, so track him down but he spoke highly of it!

i want the olympic top hat rack...it takes up the whole roof (doesent make the xj look like its wearing a man thong) and doesent really burn a hole in your pocket.

I've only heard one person really hate it because it comes in peices and some peices were hard to fit and it had surface rust in a year and directions were crappy

StylerG said:
Just a quick note...
JCR has snuck a preview of their upcoming rack out at winterfest, its the coolest rack ive seen, using the factory mounting holes and was super tough looking! Give them a call and harass them about it before you go buy a rack!
SW_MI_XJ is the one that has the prototype, so track him down but he spoke highly of it!
Yea it's pretty slick. Mounts to the factory nutcerts like StoneDragons. I'll see if I can dig up a pic.

scoobyxj said:
Yea it's pretty slick. Mounts to the factory nutcerts like StoneDragons. I'll see if I can dig up a pic.
5116363869.jpg

5116363780.jpg

dphillips said:
Stone Dragon, Do you have any pictures of the mounting rails from the inside? Did you just pass the bolts through and tighten them with a nut on the inside without any other support on the bottom?

On the '84 Project Ex-Jay, I was left with just a hole after the stock RR rails were removed, so, yes I did pass a bolt through with a 1" washer and a nut on the underside. On the '99 gold XJ, the factory nutzerts are in good shape and seem to be working fine. I did change out the torx bolts for SS hex bolts though.

Last edited:
Back