• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Opinions on alternate vehicles

Spudboy

NAXJA Forum User
It's time to replace the '99 Blazer and I'm looking at current options. The two vehicles that I have found are both 2004s - Chevy Trailblazer and Grand Cherokee. The GC has slightly lower miles but a higher price tag. Both have the I-6 engines. We only tow a small utility trailer and a small popup camper, so I think the engines are up to the task.

Anyway, I know some of you out there are driving these, what are your experiences? Anything to watch out for? In my forum search I see some mention that the GC 4.0 is a bad engine - any truth to that?

Thanks for your thoughts

PS: I put this in Non-Tech as it is not XJ-related and not Tech-related. Feel free to move if appropriate

The 4.0 in the Grand Cherokee is the same from the XJ. The Grand Cherokee is just a bit heavier, so it will feel a bit less powerful. I find the Grand Cherokee's from that generation to be very comfortable and look pretty good. We rented one once and it wasn't underpowered.

The 4.0 in the WJ is the same as the XJ, YJ, ZJ, and MJ. However it does have a different tranny that is not as reliable as the AW4. I would say it is on par with most other trannys though. If you take good care of it it will last a long time between rebuilds. I have heard nothing but bad things about the TrailBlazers. The moter is an I5 not I6, and have read that it is way underpowered for the weight of the vehicle. I also remember something on the order of overheating problems if it is worked hard.

scoobyxj said:
I have heard nothing but bad things about the TrailBlazers. The moter is an I5 not I6, and have read that it is way underpowered for the weight of the vehicle. I also remember something on the order of overheating problems if it is worked hard.

TrailBlazers have an I6 - early models have 275hp, currently around 290hp.

Ronbo is correct. The I-5 is in the Colorado pickups. Early 4.2 sixes had a nasty habit of dropping a sleeve into the crankshaft with predictably catastrophic results. I believe that problem got resolved by the 2003 model year. I haven't read of overheating being a common issue. The EXT models with third row seat are underpowered because of the additional weight, so many of those are ordered with the optional V8 engine.

With the WJ, I am wondering more about the rear axle. I recall that the ZJ axle had a lot of problems, but I don't know if that got resolved in later years.

I'm kind of leaning towards the WJ simply because I am more comfortable with the engine.

Keep the opinions coming

Back