• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

opinions on adjustable shocks for tow rigs?

altierior

NAXJA Forum User
i'm considering adjustable shocks for the rear of my 2001 Yukon tow vehicle. the yukon has a real nice smooth ride, but i don't like how much it drops when the trailer is hooked up. i'm thinking adjustable shocks are a solution?

A buddy of mine used to have a 1999 Tahoe. After picking up a bumper pull R/V trailer, he put air bags, not adjustable shocks, on the rear suspension. He said it made an incredible difference in towing.

I would say either replace with air bags, or add some "helper" air bags. YOu could also go with some air shocks, just add more air when you are haulin.

you can pick up the airbags for around $90 for the set or you can get adjustable shocks that wont help with the sag for around $99 each. The $90 air bag setup doesn't have a compressor with it, you have to use your own compressor or a pump for it but it will work.

If you had a sway problem or wanted more stability changing shocks would help, but shocks don't add to spring rate which is the issue if it's squating too much. You need air bags.

While not the cheapest, a levelizer type hitch is my preference. Have used them for decades. If sway is a problem they help and you can even add a sway stabilizer to the hitch.

Air shocks and bags that run a common air line between them do NOT resist sway.
As you sway the compressing bag/shock on the outside of the turn tends to push air into the other bag/shock forcing it to expand. This type of action increases body roll. Over what would be expected from the stock springs set up.
A shut off value to one of the bag that is opened for air adjustments then closed for towing will fix this problem or running independent lines. That's IF sway is a problem in the first place.
Sway should not be a big problem for a well setup towing rig. Fresh shocks all around, the front and rear sway properly mounted, tires inflated to load. The trailer load properly disturbed on it axles with 10% on the bar. Then with (((BOTH))) the tractor and trailer level to the ground any sway and unexpected braking or handling problems should be min.

Last edited:
Air shocks and bags that run a common air line between them do NOT resist sway.
As you sway the compressing bag/shock on the outside of the turn tends to push air into the other bag/shock forcing it to expand. This type of action increases body roll. Over what would be expected from the stock springs set up.
A shut off value to one of the bag that is opened for air adjustments then closed for towing will fix this problem or running independent lines. That's IF sway is a problem in the first place.

Who runs airbags with a common line? Silly. All the controllers I've seen have seperate fills and seperate gauges for each bag. I realize it's possible to do, but like you say, why?

Go with the air bags. I put them on my XJ and it was a world of difference. Airlift makes a great kit that was easy to install. As a fail safe, get one of the cheapo $5 compressors and pair of the nice metal w/o-ring valve stem caps.

Sway should not be a big problem for a well setup towing rig...
quite true. a properly set up tow rig should not need additional sway control. getting it properly set up ain't always easy, but i have no problems with sway.

Who runs airbags with a common line? Silly.
====================
Not that common any more but in the past it was,
Why? Becouse it's a bit cheaper and they dn't know any better.
Trust me there are first time draggers out there that are down right scary do to there lack of any training or just general know how.
You never had a wagon pull to the pumps. Loaded to the max. It's rear bumper inches off the payment. The wagon and it's trailer Ved to the max Rear tires half flat. Then have the driver roll down his window and say.
Say she handles funny at (((85)))) . What could be wrong :)
==============

my father-in-law has a couple of helper bags in his GQ Nissan PATROL.
has toured many extremely remote parts of Australia with a level (not to mention quiet and comfy) ride.

one downside though, one stick on a trail.... pssssssssssssssss......

just make sure your load doesn't bottom out under your expected load...

THEN

Fill up the air to your desired ride height.

you should have no drama.

just a word on having the airlines connected to a common line. this aids flex in the tough stuff because air from the compressed side pushes the un-compressed side down further. just install a tap beetween them you can close for the highway and you're sweet.

one downside though, one stick on a trail.... pssssssssssssssss.......
no trails for my yukon. towing only and DD for my gf. :flipoff:

Who runs airbags with a common line? Silly.
====================
Not that common any more but in the past it was,
Why? Becouse it's a bit cheaper and they dn't know any better.
Trust me there are first time draggers out there that are down right scary do to there lack of any training or just general know how.
You never had a wagon pull to the pumps. Loaded to the max. It's rear bumper inches off the payment. The wagon and it's trailer Ved to the max Rear tires half flat. Then have the driver roll down his window and say.
Say she handles funny at (((85)))) . What could be wrong :)
==============

Trust you??

I've been pulling trailers for 40 years, and watching people do it for longer than that. You're example sounds like it comes from a '50's era movie.

Your point is totally missed on people who are interested enough to read an online forum about towing and tow rigs.

You're example sounds like it comes from a '50's era movie.

I was thinking the same thing.......I had a picture in my mind of John Candy or Chevy Chase driving a wood grain wagon from the late 70s with a trailer in tow.

While not the cheapest, a levelizer type hitch is my preference. Have used them for decades. If sway is a problem they help and you can even add a sway stabilizer to the hitch.

IMO if you need something to fix the rear end drop from the trailer tongue, you NEED levelizer type hitch. I used air shocks and 2 set of Add-A-Leaf in my BlaZeR-2 and I dont get too much sag so i thought i wont need anything else. WRONGhasta

I just got a levelizer hitch system and it made night day difference. basically the tongue weight from the trailer are applied to front and back axles instead of increased load on the rear and actually REDUCING the load on the front axle which means poorer handling and braking.:scared:

if you have sag thatts needs to be addressed, get a levelizer, peroid.:eek:wl:

i got my complete levelizer hitch kit locally for $250, so just pay a bit more for them than on add a leaf or helper or air bag or air shock crap. :rtm:

trust me, do it right first time. :rtm:

Back