• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Only Blows Cold...

I have been battling this with my XJ for over a year now. I think I finally got it licked.

Things I did:

Flushed entire cooling system. (temporary improvement)

Reversed flushed the heater core. (Worked temporarily but always came back after a couple of days)

Changed thermostat and flushed system. (a little better, but not up to par)

Took out and cleaned the entire cooling system and changed water pump. (After all that it still wouldn't work.)

I finally manually filled the heater core (from the larger line) with water and hooked it up and it worked.

I feel that it was an "air trapped in the heater core" issue. But I am not for sure. It would always work temporarily after flushing out the heater core, and sometimes I would actually get small particles to come out. It was never really enough to clog up the system though.

Maybe after completely removing all on the cooling components, cleaning and reassembling it fixed a small leak that was letting air in. Who knows. It has been working strong for a month now. I did notice when changing the water pump there was traces of it leaking around the mounting surface.

when i got my 95 xj the heater sucked bad. it was caused by a thermostat stuck open (caused overcooling the engine) and a partially clogged heater core.

after numerous flushes, my heater will now roast me out quite quickly.

Back