• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

On the street...literally.

Sorry guys. I got it going on other forums with more traffic and I just neglected NAXJA....

I will get you up to speed. Not really much visual updates, just the small things that take all the time. However still good progress.

I got that Studebaker bumper finished.
I started by centering it, taking 57 measurements as I to make sure the horns were centered and they weren't centered on the Jeep grill AND the bumper (if that makes sense). So I cut 4.5" from centre off the passenger side, and 2.5" from center off the drivers.

Photo0346.jpg

Then just using 1x3x.125 tubing, I cut, bent and welded it up. I also used some tabs left from my shock mounts that were already drilled and perfect for it. They are 1/4" plate.

Photo0344.jpg

Welded them up.

Photo0347.jpg

Photo0348.jpg

A matching pair.

Photo0349.jpg

Photo0350.jpg

The mounts bolt to the frame and will be welded to the original brackets on the back of the bumper.

I also fixed the driver door rust with a new custom panel. I don't know if these are available to be purchased, but I made my own nonetheless.

Template
Photo0321.jpg

Cut out the rot
Photo0323.jpg

New panel compared to what was removed
Photo0324.jpg

Tacked
Photo0325.jpg

Tacked
Photo0326.jpg

Almost all cleaned up
Photo0327.jpg

Photo0355.jpg

I took a break from doing the boring stuff that needs to be done, finishing all the floor welds, smaller patch panels, smoothing out the welds, sealer, and paint. I needed to have some fun. So I made a rough tail light filler box with triple frenched bullet tails. The only problem is that I can't decide if it fits the truck or not. Please help me. Don't hold back, tell me if you like them or not. They obviously have no bodywork done, and are just tacked.

Photo0370.jpg

Photo0371.jpg

Photo0373.jpg

I really don't know. Please let me know what you think.

So, thats all I have done the past month. I also got ALL the floors and firewall done, tonight I will be cleaning all the welds, sealing them, and paint. I did the steering, pedals (the WORST thing I had to make for the build so far), clutch. I will have it running before March...hopefully, now that I just cursed it lol.

Cheers folks, I won't forget about you from now on.

The tail light match the truck very good!

keep up the progress and don't forget us anymore

Do they have larger bullets? I like the general idea but the little bullets seem to be swimming in that large field of steel.

The two round red lights is a common thing to see in the modified crowd though so you might want to spice it up a little.

I finished welding them and cleaned them up...my opinion is about the same. I don't know.

The Cadi bullet tails are bigger. I was also thinking an LED strip on the left hand side the entire length as a signal light. Just to fill in the space.

Photo0375.jpg

I've always though the newer Range Rover taillamps were rather neat, a red stop lamp with an amber circle around it, maybe something along these lines may work out.

Another thought. What if you cut out "windows" in the french tube and placed that inside a still larger tube, you may be able to get a ring of secondary glow that may look nice and fill in dead space.

I like the idea, I really like that idea of the "windows". If I did a reflective backing, I could have the radius of the second "glow ring" be far away from the actual light. I'll play with it.

I also got the floor seams cleaned, sealed, and the entire floors sealed. It came out great with the product I used, but I would change my method a little if I did it again. Heres the result.

Photo0379.jpg

Photo0380.jpg

The only problem is I did it at noon today and they need 12 hours to dry and 24 hours to cure....so I have NOTHING to do tonight.

And theres no side markers so it's illegal!

Maybe, maybe not.

He's in Canada so may have different laws, for example by ECE code you need no rear side markers (real EU spec XJ tail lamps have no side markers, just a reflector).

My headlights and tail lights are already illegal as they are not at the minimum height when I am at cruising ride height. But in Canada, you just need a reflector on the corner.

EDIT* I should say in Ontario, not in Canada.

Around here the headlight can be no lower than 24 inches and not higher than 54 inches.

I ran into this same issue with my bagged VW. Nobody ever really cared tho.

Not even when the bags are full enough to drive? Is it a matter of some sort of inspection, or random stops on the street. If so, just drive it into the US, because we're not allowed to stop aliens! Or is that just along the southern border...Now I forget.

I've seen the pictures of the JEEP up on all fours, and it doesn't look too far off from stock, especially a saggy older one.

Back