• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

old timer returns, startin probs

need4speedjp

NAXJA Forum User
having the same problem i had with my old xj (also a 92). when ignition key is turned to start all power is on but no starting no turn over. help please,

its been a while guys please cut me some slack:bawl:...

Hallo. Because it's a '92.

Hallo Jeeper. Take a short jumper wire and connect pin #30 and #87 of the starterrelay. So you are checking the Fuse,Ignition switch,relay and NSS in one time, because if you do so, the startermotor will run. watch out!
Also you can bridge the big contacts with a screwdriver on the startmotor to test the starter solenoid. Starter will spin.
These test are only the beginning of a range of possibilities. Good luck

It is a post of 1 week ago!:moon:

'92 Cherokee

ok well um, thanks for the list of 80 things it could be, but i was looking more along the lines of: " hey bud i had the same prob and it was the.. " or even: " did you try to replace the ..." . look i paid $800 for this rust bucket and just want to make it through the winter. i read the post and have done the research,but this thing has 192,000 on it but still runs strong when it starts.i have had 2 jeeps both 92's both had the same starting problem, it doesnt happen every time but once every two weeks it deos it. thought it always ends up starting after a while and i can find no ryme or reason

ok well um, thanks for the list of 80 things it could be, but i was looking more along the lines of: " hey bud i had the same prob and it was the.. " or even: " did you try to replace the ..." . look i paid $800 for this rust bucket and just want to make it through the winter. i read the post and have done the research,but this thing has 192,000 on it but still runs strong when it starts.i have had 2 jeeps both 92's both had the same starting problem, it doesnt happen every time but once every two weeks it deos it. thought it always ends up starting after a while and i can find no ryme or reason

well, i tried to help. i have used that list to sucessfully diagnose two no starts on my jeep as well as some buddys. i guess i wont help you with your $800 piece of shit any more. good luck throwing parts at it! oh, and while i am at it- SEARCH, its been covered eleventy billion times!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Try starting in neutral or wiggling/moving the shift lever while turnin the key. If that allows it to crank, your problem is your neutral safety switch.

If you clear the NSS, when it doesn't start, get a meter and check for approx 12 volts directly at the starter with the key in the ON position. If you have 12 volts, suspect your starter/solenoid. If you don't have 12 volts, work your way back into the engine bay (cables/connections) BTW, have you cleaned the battery cables/posts? Connectivity CAN be intermittent.

Good Luck....

Try starting in neutral or wiggling/moving the shift lever while turnin the key. If that allows it to crank, your problem is your neutral safety switch.

If you clear the NSS, when it doesn't start, get a meter and check for approx 12 volts directly at the starter with the key in the ON position. If you have 12 volts, suspect your starter/solenoid. If you don't have 12 volts, work your way back into the engine bay (cables/connections) BTW, have you cleaned the battery cables/posts? Connectivity CAN be intermittent.

Good Luck....
thank you i will try that, you have been very helpful:kissyou:

dang, (n)

If you're going to ask people to fix your stuff "by committee", then you should give them enough information in the first post to steer you in the right area to look.

Stuff like: "having the same problem i had with my old xj (also a 92). when ignition key is turned to start all power is on but no starting no turn over", is not all that useful. What was the diagnosis with your old 92'? Manual or Automatic? Has the electronics been messed with (stereo ripped out by a thief...)

Second, if you are going to ask people for help, you will usually get help unless you are ungrateful for that help. If you are provided links, even if the links don't seem to be as useful to you as you would have wanted, don't bite the hand.

I am constantly amaized with people who get angry because the Forum was unable to point them to the exact part on their vehicle that needs replacing, when all they give is vehicle make, type, and year.

I thought I had big problems one time after wheeling at Tellico. Turns out that I cut it off with the shifter still in drive and then later tried to restart it. It was about 5 minutes later before I moved the shifter lever to park and the Jeep started right up. Oops!

Do you know how to adjust your neutral safety switch? I've done that on my '92 a few times.

Back