• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Old Man Emu kit Q's

How well do you find those Grapplers to work off-road? Any issues with them? Mine is mostly a DD, so comfort is important. But, when I do hit the trails I would like something more aggressive than what I have now (BFG Long Trails - all seasons/highway tires).

I have been considering the Dueler Revo's as well.

How well do you find those Grapplers to work off-road? Any issues with them? Mine is mostly a DD, so comfort is important. But, when I do hit the trails I would like something more aggressive than what I have now (BFG Long Trails - all seasons/highway tires).

The Nitto Terra Grappler A/T’s are very similar to the Toyo Open Country A/T‘s. I believe that Nitto and Toyo are both sister companies. Both tires have a fair amount of siping for good on-road performance and a fairly aggressive tread pattern to qualify for a good off-road tire. I mainly off-road in New Mexico where the terrain is mostly loose dirt, rocky, and dry. I have seen a fair amount of mud, but there’s always rock under that 6” of mud. In my opinion, the XJ is a light enough rig that running a LT tire is too stiff. The “P” rated tire has a lot of side wall flex. Even though the Nitto’s are not mud rated, I think they do well when aired down. The sidewall and shoulder blocks provide plenty of bite, specially when the tires are aired down. You’ll find that the Toyo’s and Nitto’s aren’t the cheapest tire, but I think you will also find that they are tough tires, do not chunk, and have good tread life. I don’t think that all “P” rated tires are created equal, but I’ve seen Toyo and Nitto “P” rated tires handle various types of terrain with no sidewall punctures or tire failures.

DO it and dont look back. Those or Maybe Some Cooper STTs

I am also running OME. I have 930 springs and RE spacers front, and CSO34RB springs with OME add a leafs and RE shackles in the rear for about 4.5" of lift. The OME stuff handles the road well, but the ride is pretty firm. For tires I got the Dueler Revo 2's I have to say I'm really happy with the set up.

Khary23 reminded me to think about the spring rate. I ordered the HD (Heavy Duty) springs because I will be running a front and rear bumper. Those of you who do not plan to install a front and rear bumper will want to go with the MD (Medium Duty) springs for a softer ride.

Thanks for all info guys. I gave the guys at DPG a call earlier to talk tech a bit. Anyone happen to have a few pics of there XJ with a 3" OME kit that I could get a better idea how it sits and see how it would clear 30"s? If its easier just email them to me at my screenname @yahoo.com

Thanks

Here is what I can tell you. I got 2" from the light duty springs, and the ride is harsher than stock. I really can't see going with medium or heavy duty unless you really are loading it up. I'll measure again when I go home today, since the springs have now had a couple years to settle and I've added the DPG skid, front skid, and hitch.

Edit: BTW I wouldn't go to 3". Better option is to get a lot of armor IMO-- tcase skid, engine skid to protect the engine and exhaust piping, and front. With 3" the ride will be much worse because of the control arm angles. Even with 2" I cringe going over bumps because I can feel and hear the effect on the unibody. The only way I'd do more lift is with long arms. 2" is great for 31" tires and gives a nice "oversize tire" look, especially if you use stock wheels and avoid the goofy wide track look. Another benefit of stock wheels is better tucking because steering doesn't move the wheels as much forward/back. I've seen mine contact the bumper endcaps when tucked, but I haven't seen any ill effects. You can always trim.

26272_10100204853553710_7901546_60444408_3318014_n.jpg

Last edited:
Although the extra inch might be worth it to keep the undercarriage and exhaust parts off the rocks. Even with all those skids everything isn't protected. The XJ's underside is especially vulnerable because of how low stuff hangs past the "framerails"

I think this is at 4" front and 4.25 rear(maybe an inch shorter can't remember when I put the shackles and spacers in) with 31x10.5 tires. I did some trimming of the inside of the bumpers and wheel wells. I still get some rubbing if fully loaded and going around a corner.

PA240195.jpg

Last edited:
I have the 3" kit from jeepin.com on 245/75R16 Cooper STTs. I am not sure what parts numbers I have for the springs, but I know I netted 3" exactly in the rear and my front netted me 2"(they came with a spacer we left out).
It rides probably about the same as friend's lift, but I know it would be better with different tires. The Load range E tires that the coopers come in and the OP will have on his BFGs in that size make it ride to rougher than I'd like.
7739120f.jpg

4abb1474.jpg

Krazors: How do you like the 3" with the moabs? You have basically the same thing as what I want to build. I'm going to do diff covers and a full belly skid. Maybe some lower control arm skids and rocker skids but I honestly dont wheel my XJ much. I have a TJ on 32's to use for wheeling duties.

Did you run into any vibes from the rear DS that you had to drop the TC or an SYE kit? What gears are you running?

Thanks again everyone for the input.

I think this is at 4" front and 4.25 rear(maybe an inch shorter can't remember when I put the shackles and spacers in) with 31x10.5 tires. I did some trimming of the inside of the bumpers and wheel wells. I still get some rubbing if fully loaded and going around a corner.

PA240195.jpg

I think the reason you get rubbing going around corners is the backspacing of your wheels. They move a lot more forward/back because they stick out.

Krazors: How do you like the 3" with the moabs? You have basically the same thing as what I want to build. I'm going to do diff covers and a full belly skid. Maybe some lower control arm skids and rocker skids but I honestly dont wheel my XJ much. I have a TJ on 32's to use for wheeling duties.

Did you run into any vibes from the rear DS that you had to drop the TC or an SYE kit? What gears are you running?

Thanks again everyone for the input.

Now that I'm bumpstopped correctly( extended rears and 2 hockey pucks up front) it is pretty nice. I love the look of the Moabs on Cherokees. I am still running 3.55s which is fine around town and tolerable on the highway if you aren't speedy. I feel it bog down a lot more than I'd like on the highway on hills and have to force it to downshift a lot more. I originally had a front ds for the rear and sye but never have had any vibrations to justify putting it in and ended up selling them. I also had lcas and skids to throw on too, but took the money instead for the honeymoon fund.

Overall I'm happy with the setup apart from the tires rougher ride being load range E. I like the STTs, but these have worn worse than my friend's 35s that have more road miles and a ton more offroad use than mine. I am torn between going up to 265s instead which are c rated in the STTs or sticking with the 245s and switching brands to something with a c range.

You’ll find that the Toyo’s and Nitto’s aren’t the cheapest tire, but I think you will also find that they are tough tires, do not chunk, and have good tread life. I don’t think that all “P” rated tires are created equal, but I’ve seen Toyo and Nitto “P” rated tires handle various types of terrain with no sidewall punctures or tire failures.

I have had two sets of Toyo ATs on my Jeep, 30x9.50 and 3x10.50. Do not buy Toyo tires! Wet surface traction is very poor, tread life is low, price is very high. Even when aired down to 15 psi on the 31s, offroad traction sucks. There are many other tires that cost less and perform better. On a GC I used to own, I ran Kelly Safari SUV tires. On road traction was excellent wet or dry. They performed great in deep snow, and could even handle a little slick mud. Another good choice might be Goodyear Silent Armors.

Matt

Last edited:
Back