• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ok, will this work?

I don't have the patience to read everyone else's response but here's my bit:

Sounds good, EXCEPT you'll definitely need adjustable control arms, adjustable trackbar and SYE at 5", no debate, no maybe this or maybe that. Those things are a must.

Don't worry about the blocks, people get all wrapped around the axles (no pun intended) about lift blocks. EVERY FULL SIZE PICKUP THAT COMES FROM THE FACTORY WITH A LIFT HAS LIFT BLOCKS IN THE REAR. They are 100% safe. Will they fart with your leafs and make them look like an "S", yep. But who gives a rat's? After about a month or two you'll be changing everything around anyway like we all do.

Mdub said:
EVERY FULL SIZE PICKUP THAT COMES FROM THE FACTORY WITH A LIFT HAS LIFT BLOCKS IN THE REAR. They are 100% safe. Will they fart with your leafs and make them look like an "S", yep. But who gives a rat's? After about a month or two you'll be changing everything around anyway like we all do.

Keep in mind full size trucks have leaves that are thicker, and are much less likely to wrap. My f-150 has them from the factory as do many full size trucks.....

However it doesn't necessarily make them right for an XJ. If you get a lot of axle wrap, it can do more than just warp the springs, pinion failure comes to mind. A 3" block is a little much, especially on a stock spring pack. Now the shorter the block, the less leverage it has to wrap the spring, and I wouldn't hesitate to use a 1-1.5" block, but that's it.

I have also seen blocks spit out and/or break on the trail, thank God it wasn't on the street!

AALs just plain suck, they ride rough and sag fast. The bastard pack route is by far the best way to go on a budget.

At that height you definitely shouldn't be taking shortcuts for the front, and you should be looking at longarms or drop brackets.

The biggest question is, what size tires do you plan on running? You can easily run 33-35s with less lift, and more trimming. Low COG is your friend! Less lift can be done on a budget, so you don't have to ignore it...lol

Mdub said:
Sounds good, EXCEPT you'll definitely need adjustable control arms, adjustable trackbar and SYE at 5", no debate, no maybe this or maybe that. Those things are a must.

I have about 6.5-7 inches of lift. I use rubicon express fixed lowers...

Mdub said:
Don't worry about the blocks, people get all wrapped around the axles (no pun intended) about lift blocks. EVERY FULL SIZE PICKUP THAT COMES FROM THE FACTORY WITH A LIFT HAS LIFT BLOCKS IN THE REAR. They are 100% safe. Will they fart with your leafs and make them look like an "S", yep. But who gives a rat's? After about a month or two you'll be changing everything around anyway like we all do.

My ford truck came off of the showroom with 3" lift blocks. They flattened out the top of the axle housing due to the excess wrap they caused, until the housing ripped right open one day leaving me on the side of the road.

9inch1.jpg

9inch4.jpg

That said, i ran a 1" lift block on my jeep for about a year and a half and had no problems - but just because a truck came from the factory with it does not mean its bulletproof or even safe.

ROBZ95Xj said:
will it work, yeah
is it safe, no

at 5" you need control arms brake lines shocks ect., dont be half assin that stuff

X2:nono:

cal said:
My ford truck came off of the showroom with 3" lift blocks. They flattened out the top of the axle housing due to the excess wrap they caused, until the housing ripped right open one day leaving me on the side of the road.

:eek: , that makes me want to go build some bastard packs for my truck and get rid of the factory blocks ASAP! That's actually been my plan for a while, but it just moved up on the list!

jstone8952 said:
coincidentally why is it that blocks are so bad for cherokees? most companies that sell lift kits for other trucks offer blocks as a general rule... is it because a bed is lighter than an xj rear or is there a difference in how a cherokee's suspension works all together that sets it apart?

look at stock XJ leaves then look at a stock truck's leaves. The xj's are thin and not very many leaves. the trucks are usually bigger and have a lot more leaves at different lengths. you will see why the xj's leaves are more prone to axle wrap.

Back