• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ok. Talk to me. Rig comparison.

I do happen to have a 2002 GC with the 4.7 for sale ATM..........

After I rebuilt the engine, been driving it around, actually impressed with how it drives. Compared to the ZJ 5.9. Not sure how it will handle off road, but the power is smooth, tranmission is strong, seats are COMFY, doesnt have those odd noises like most jeeps have.

My vote would be on the WJ as well, but look for the H.O. Limited ones or overland ones. Much better equipped than the laredo.

Personally I would just look for any V8 H.O. 2002+ grand. T/C is easily swapped, so not a deal breaker if you hit the 247. I will tell you though they are are popular and difficult to find for a good price in good condition. I looked at a lot of total crap before I landed my Overland.

This.

If I were to do it over again, a WJ would also be my choice.

LOL -- I stumble upon this thread and I'm getting pimp'd in it...

I too am equity heavy in my titan, have it for sale, and I think I've decided a 2000-2004 V8 QuadCab Dakota is what's on the menu. Essentially the WJ drivetrain, enough space, plus a bed to haul stuff... working on finding the right one.

See that's my only hang up is the Dakotas. Extra cab would be sweet. Don't need the quad cab as the girl has it. And the bed is super nice. And their pricing doesn't suck.

I feel the biggest misconception in here is that I'm looking to wheel it. Which I'm not. Get the same usage the Titan does for off-road and camping. Just want it to be a better DD and take up less space. Lol

ditto. I drove a 5.9 Dakota last week -- woot!

I went from a '99 XJ to a '99 WJ with the 4.7.

Its a love/hate relationship, today I love it, so I would highly recommend them!:gee:

They do have a couple issues, none are anything too terrible but can be overwhelming. In no particular order:
-Leaking heater core, requires entire removal of the dash. Mine was done twice before, and I did it again about a year ago. Its an easy process, just takes ~8 hours to do. They might have fixed that in the later models, but I doubt it.
-Brakes warp and cause brake shudder. They fixed that in the later models with a new caliper design. The new calipers can be swapped onto the old axles.
-Death wobble if there are any worn suspension, and is very obvious in lifted vehicles.
-Loose steering box, feels like you are driving a boat. Personally I attribute this to the two above issues of warped brakes and DW. You hold the wheel, and the wobble is transmitted into the steering box, which eventually wears out.
-The seats are stupid comfortable, but the leather holds heat like nobodys business. My body temp gets a bit warmer than most, but I am regularly sweating through pants. :eek:
-Tail lights will go out, its a combination of a circuit board in the tail light, blown bulbs or connectors failing.
-Headlights are terrible. You can find replacement housings on Amazon, and and HID swap seems pretty easy to do.
-NV247 not in "AWD" is very common, is caused by people not changing the fluid and the viscus coupler failing. They use a dealer only fluid that is pretty expensive for what it is. You can swap in a 242/HD242 or 231 pretty easy.
-On some models there are CV joints on the front driveshaft, and can fail if you lift the Jeep.
-Lack of aftermarket support, or at least to the degree I am used to on XJs. There are only a few companies making parts for these things, and IRO seems to be the most popular. I despise them, and will never use any of their products, so options are even more limited.
-The LP D30 does not cross with any other vehicle, and use CV axle shafts. The rear axle can be a D35 or aluminum D44. The D44 is not a true 44, and has a small aftermarket.
-Spare tire is under the rear floor, above the gas tank which makes two problems. The gas tank is thus stupid low, and the spare tire area is very small. I forget what tire size you can get in there, but its not much bigger than the stock tire.
-5x5 wheel bolt pattern. Not that bad now, but before the prevalence of JK take offs wheel options were pretty limited.
-Axle swaps are limited if you want to keep ABS and the speedo. You can use JK axles, but those get pretty expensive. Couple companies offer bolt in options but are pushing $4k for a single assembly.
-Power adders for the engine are limited, but as you guys have already mentioned, the engines and trannys cross with the Duragos/Dakota. No one really does any forced inductions on these things. Maybe NAJXA can get Boostwerks to do some work on a couple?

I would suggest you look for the 4.7HO, or settle for the 4.7. The I6 will be underpowered and previously mentioned, the tranny is a POS. The power of the 4.7 is better than the I6, but its certainly not a rocket ship. I would look for the 242 equipped Wjs, which will also have LSDs front and rear. They are becoming pretty rare, and also command a premium, but would be nice to have in the winter/offroad.

With 245/75R16 Duratracs Im getting ~17 MPG combined. Highest I have seen was the flats of WY and was in the low 20s. Worst Ive seen is the flats of WY against a head wind and was pushing ~10. Im at 180k miles and am hoping for another 50k!

All the problems listed above are pretty easy to fix, dont let them scare you off. Heated seats, V8 and AWD are pretty sweet in the winter. The plush ride was awesome coming from an XJ, and its amazing how much bigger the interior feels.

Novel finished, no I didnt proofread it!

Well after some looking around, test driving, talking over with the lady, and doing a list of weighing options.......

.... Just going to do another xj.

The ability to find and gen grand that's not beat to shit, high miles, bad driveline, or in the price range of another Tacoma/4Runner is slim.
We ruled out the dodges just based on lack of aftermarket, for anything. And we ran into the same issues as with the grands.

So xj it is. Prefer 98/99 but will consider the 00-01. Bare bones and unmolested.

I will tell you though they are are popular and difficult to find for a good price in good condition. I looked at a lot of total crap before I landed my Overland.

The ability to find and gen grand that's not beat to shit, high miles, bad driveline, or in the price range of another Tacoma/4Runner is slim.

I was not kidding, took me months and months to find mine and it still needed some work.

Yeah. And I could do it. However the gain isn't worth the effort. The goal is to get out of debt so with the musical chairs we are playing with vehicles we will be able to accomplish that, minus a mild payment on the new Tacoma. Plus there are a few clean late model xj 's that aren't molested right now so I'll try and check them out this weekend.

It's true what they say about the 4.7 WJ, it's a love hate relationship. I went through 2 engines. The second one was due to a bad rebuilt kit (valve spring snapped in half)

The AWD system is good, constant maintenance in the transfer case in my case. The power output was good out of that 4.7. It's just a nice comfortable truck when reliable :)

I lifted the truck 2 inches with spacers at first and got death wobble. I switched out shocks and problem solved.

I then went to a 4" lift and problems with death wobble would not go away. New wheels, tires, bushings, shocks, trackbar, arms you name it they were changed and no luck. I'm sure that's a problem when you lift anything but saw it less likely with a 4.0L as the engine is not as heavy (at least that's my theory) But anywho, that's just my case.

I now have an XJ and have not had any issues whatsoever.

A few pics of the WJ

42da556e93180a6394d497df139e617a.jpg

06a26e1541ffcd4292869ea6b5f10b70.jpg

1849a48e7272d8cc20738dd46de32cb7.jpg

Went with a 2000 limited, 70k on new motor, relatively clean body (some flaky paint on hood/roof in small spots). Got it for a wicked steal so couldn't pass up. Thanks guys.

As I shop, only white and silver chrysler products from the early 00's don't suffer this issue. Bad, bad, paint. should have been a recall issue.

Yeah there was a silver 01 I looked at that was flawless minus a small light area in the clear coat. But they wanted $$$$

It's not that bad to be honest. With the inevitable thin layer or dirt from keenesburg, it's entirely unnoticeable. A good detailing will do it good for sure. Thankfully it's leather. The PO had short haired (white) dog in it and the hair isn't too bad as if it were cloth.
Marco I'll have to let you know. Focusing on getting my pickup back and detailed for the trade in. But after that might be cool. Shoot me a number for your services.

Back