• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ok, I get it

Tucker

NAXJA Forum User
I was reading another forum here where someone was anxiously waiting for their membership info to arrive ... since I am feeling the same anxiety (even though we both mailed the app moments ago) I started thinking about what is happening to me ... my other hobbies (r/c aircraft, woodworking, bluegrass pickin') are starting to suffer from neglect. Why? It's a Jeep thing.

My garden is not started, the lawn is a mess, but the shop is immaculate. Why? It's a Jeep thing.

Never in my life have I even considered cracking the dash panel on a vehicle, now I've ordered a set of custom gauges, and I'm also anxiously waiting on the mailman for that. Why? It's a Jeep thing.

My dog is deliriously happy (he can ride inside now), my wife is making up excuses to go to the store (finding all kinds of bizarre reasons why she can't use her car for that), and I get a stupid grin on my mug when I look out in the driveway.

Ok, I get it.

My fav? Badger Pond, until it became WoodCentral, then it lost a little bit of its charm ... WoodNet has great info, better than WoodCentral, IMHO.

It is funny how we seem to cross paths with folks we know from other forums. Its happened to me once before, and I was astonished, but I hear about it frequently.

Last time I posted on Woodnet, which isn't very often, I posted pics of a homemade mobile base for a PM66, and ZPD chimed right in asking "are you the same beezil who posts on naxja?"

i couldn't believe it, funny, things like that.

Woodnet seems to be the best, not nearly as cliquey as some of the rest, were ya seem to be measured up by wether or not you own a Uni.........

What's more astonishing is that someone thought you would be the same Beezil, you know considering how common the name Beezil is....

Beezil, Just so you know. Those Unisaw snobs still think the tool makes the man. I'd pay more for an abused Powermatic than I would for new Unisaw anyday!

What most fail to understand is that a $12 pos from a yard sale, swamp cooler motor and a sharp blade is all you need. The rest of it is what you do with it to do what you want it to do.
( hope that last line makes sense ).

T Bent wrote: Those Unisaw snobs still think the tool makes the man.

Hear, hear. Craftsmanship is not dead, except in some forums.

Of course, the other side of that coin is just as ugly, the hand tool snobs can be just as irritating. I use the tools I want to use and let the end result speak for itself.

Yeah, exactly....

Tuck, don't you think some of these jeep guys would think all woodworkers are poseurs if they saw some of these forums?

holy hell, the amount of "Tool Brags" that go on is totally high schoolish, I figure one of these days we should just cut to the chase and post pictures and measurements of our schlongs....The only pictures i ever see are when someone brings home a new tool or machine.....where are the art objects?

This isn't exactly the right place for it, but when I made my last post I lamented the fact that I'm at work and don't have pics of recent wood projects to post. I'll try to remember tomorrow...

And I can hardly wait till the XJ is pic-worthy! I got the "before" pics done, now I'm waiting on parts ... very impatiently.

First mods: Goofy reverse glo gauges (I gave in to my sweetie on that one) and rock rails.

Next: no-slip rear and arb front, and the bumpers

Then the lift and tires and sye (ouch).

Finish off with the winch, rack, and radio .. err, maybe finish is the wrong word ... something tells me this is a never-ending story. But at least by then it will be trail-worthy enough to get me to the high lakes whenever I wanna go.

Hey man, this is the non-tech forum, any subject goes.

I know there are several woodworkers here, I for one would love to see some of your projects.

if you get a chance, please share!

NEENER, NEEENER, NEEEEEnere

Some of mine heer. not the real kind but pays the bills. Just did a 20 foot dia cherry board room table, the fun ones don't come often enough.
www.caseworx.com/showcase/

see Riverside general & harbor view

Very nice! I'll fire up the digital cam tomorrow and post a couple here.

I can only imagine having the shop space to do work like that... sigh.

Boy I'll second that on the shop space. I did a 4'x7'8" wall unit for my daughters room. What a b*tch getting it out of the basment, back in the house and up to the second floor into her bedroom. That walnut 5/4 plywood is freakin heavy. As the cellar gets filled up with computer stuff I get less working room. Wife almost blew a gasket when a customer deliverd two Sun Enterprise 5000's to the house for me to work on, bit bigger than a washing machine and about 2ft taller, it did cut down on the heating bill though. :)
All my fixed power tools are craftsman, radialsaw, jointer, band saw out in the shed. Everything else I do by hand and hand power tools. Oh well, "Next House"[tm].......

Big servers in the cellar, that's great!

I had to resize the door on the shed to get this hutch that I built a few years ago out. This is the biggest thing that's come out of that shop, it really needs an upgrade. The little lady wants a gazebo, and I am in the bargaining stage with her over that, the Jeep, and the shop.

Back