• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Pan Gasket question

BAMCHEROKEE88

NAXJA Member #976
My father is looking at a 2000 classic (4.0 auto 4x4). Their is an oil leak coming down from the back of the pan. I thought maybe it was coming from the rear main seal but the dealer says it just coming from the pan gasket. This cherokee only has 44,000 miles on it and I can`t find any marks under it that suggests it was used offroad or scraped/banged in any way. Does a pan gasket begin to leak at this low of mileage? My 88 wasn`t leaking at 130,000 when I replaced the oil pump and rear main ( since I was already in there). What is also bothering me is that the dealer is willing to take another $300 off the price and then the repair would also be covered under their 50/50 warranty. It would be cheaper for them if they just did the repair in the first place and didn`t offer to knock off the $300 in the first place. BTW this a large well respected dealer (just not a jeep dealer). Just seems fishy.

Sounds fishy to me. How did he know it's just the pan gasket, did they drop the pan and check it? If so, it would have been wise to go ahead and replace the gasket then. Sounds like they have no idea if its the gasket or rear main seal. They just want to unload it.

a rms leak looks like a oil pan leak.

i dont think ive read on any xj forum where people were having oil pan leaks; it always seems to be the rear of valve cover, oil filter adapter, or rms.

the dealership is blowing smoke up your azz to sell you the car.

How do you know when a used car salesperson is lying?...when their lips are moving.
If they are a respected dealership like you say they are, they should fix the leak before they put the product up for sale. BUYER BEWARE

A rear main leak will usually cause radial streaks on the engine side of the flywheel/flexplate, while an oil sump or valve cover leak will usually not. So, just pull the inspection plate on the front of the bellhousing and check that.

Note that there are several leaks that can present as a rear main seal leak:
Valve cover (at back of head)
Oil Sump (at rear of engine)
Oil Filter Adapter (sometimes, but not always)
Rear Main Seal (with good reason!)

It is possible to have an oil sump gasket leaking this early into a vehicle's life, and for a number of reasons (I shan't go into them at the moment.) So, it's certainly possible.

The dealers reply to not just doing the work (on one other thing too) is that they just dropped the floor price down $2000. It was advertised at $2000 higher at the beginning of this year. The other thing they won`t do is fix the headliner as is starting (about a 1' circle) sag over the drivers seat. Now the headliner does not look abused or look like the vehicle had a tall driver whos head rubbed on the roof but the fabric is pulling away from the padding under it. Otherwise the headliner looks new.

its most likely the rms and i would have them take off the $300 and fix the rms and install new oil pan gasket. If they were as respected as you say they are they would have fixed it before they put it out on there lot. Any car salesman that has lips moving is lieing thats how they make there money.

BAMCHEROKEE88 said:
The dealers reply to not just doing the work (on one other thing too) is that they just dropped the floor price down $2000. It was advertised at $2000 higher at the beginning of this year. The other thing they won`t do is fix the headliner as is starting (about a 1' circle) sag over the drivers seat. Now the headliner does not look abused or look like the vehicle had a tall driver whos head rubbed on the roof but the fabric is pulling away from the padding under it. Otherwise the headliner looks new.

Headliner adhesive isn't very good, and it can get pretty warm (from the roof being in the sun) anyhow. A headliner starting to sag after 7-8 years isn't that difficult to believe, either.

If they won't do the work, can they at least confirm the leak? Pulling the inspection plate and looking takes about 5-10 minutes, and can be done before the tech finishes his smoke. At least then you'll know what you're in for.

The dealer just told my father they would no longer hold the vehicle ( He wanted to wait until monday). The $500 deposit was refunded and they said they have someone else who is looking to put money down today. I would still like to hear what everyone has to say on the reasons for an oil leak in that area.

BAMCHEROKEE88 said:
The dealer just told my father they would no longer hold the vehicle ( He wanted to wait until monday). The $500 deposit was refunded and they said they have someone else who is looking to put money down today. I would still like to hear what everyone has to say on the reasons for an oil leak in that area.

I think 5-90 nailed it in his posts.

BAMCHEROKEE88 said:

they found someone else that believes its the oil pan gasket.

the cost to have a mechanic do the rms would be in the $400-$500 range

89xj said:
they found someone else that believes its the oil pan gasket.

the cost to have a mechanic do the rms would be in the $400-$500 range
The cost to have my local Jeep dealer to do the oil pan gasket is $500. The cost for a local independent garage using an OEM pan gasket is $350. Any way you slice this jeep needs work.

Back