• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil filter adapter gasket

My starter and battery leads up to the starter are so completely saturated in oil at this point, i am leery of cleaning it/them for fear of wrecking the obviously delicate balance of oil and metal LOL.

at any rate, one week after OFA gasket change, my engine is starting to dry out nicely. Once i get it a bit more cleaned up, i will tackle cleaning the starter off and replacing the battery leads.

My favorite engine cleaning recipe: new garden hand-pump sprayer, 50/50 mix Simple Green with tap water.

Remove TPS and put it somewhere safe. Liberally apply the mixture. Let sit 15 minutes. Rinse off using garden hose--being careful not to apply too much of a spray to the electronics and harness connectors.

hand pump garden sprayer huh? interesting method, but i guess that would work out for a gentler application than a 90PSI engine gun huh?
:)

thanks for the tip!

Kind of! :D

Back in the 70s-80s new Volvos would arrive at the dealership covered in some kind of preservative for shipping by sea. The detailers would mix Simple Green and diesel fuel 50/50 in garden sprayers--these were metal tank sprayers and the pumps had to be rebuilt frequently due to the diesel--and they would spray those new Volvos everywhere on the outside body, door jambs, and the engine bays. Took about 20~30 minutes to soften the preservative and they couldn't leave them in the sun, had to be in the shade. Worked pretty good.

Back