• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Offroader missing:

mage

NAXJA Forum User
URGENT - Offroader missing - Jay Lafontaine Bryan has been missing since last week. If you can, please help post this and pass this around or on other forums. He was last seen driving from Boomtown Nevada to Death Valley on 11/27, driving a Jeep Rubicon - black, no doors. Additional info on the link below. http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2750358620050172860AuTWp

This came to me in a email from sierraexpeditions.com.

Sad news.

Just a reminder:
Don't wheel alone. A buddy could have recovered his vehicle, went for help, drove him back to civilization...

Ron

Sad news.

Just a reminder:
Don't wheel alone. A buddy could have recovered his vehicle, went for help, drove him back to civilization...

Ron

At the risk of driving this thread in the direction the original thread went. Some people are very capable of wheeling alone, I think what we should be pushing is use common sense.

At the risk of driving this thread in the direction the original thread went. Some people are very capable of wheeling alone, I think what we should be pushing is use common sense.

x2

"Don't wheel alone" is how we handhold people instead of educating them.

In an earlier e-mail we sent out in aid to help, we have heard that Jay Lafontaine was missing. In an attempt to assist we sent out an e-mail asking for help in finding him as soon as we got the e-mail stating he was missing. We however, got sad news stating that he had been found, tragically not alive. We are not a company that sends out a ton of e-mail messages, however, if we were to hear that any of you were missing, we would do the same in a heart beat. Unfortunately we got this e-mail a tad too late, and we're not able to assist. Sierra Expeditions apologizes for the numerous e-mails and the nuisance this may have caused. We wish you all a safe and joyful holiday season. Thanks, Sierra Expeditions Sales Team www.SierraExpeditions.com Toll Free: (866) 507-4254 Phone: (602) 445-6228 Fax: (602) 324-7256

Just got this...

x2

"Don't wheel alone" is how we handhold people instead of educating them.

Not to be argumentive, but I dissagree with you and Coastie.

We do not know the experience level of this individual, he may have been very experienced.

Sure, there are people who are self sufficient enough who, when the defecation hits the rotating oscilator, can recover by themselves. Even then, you are sometimes one step away from extinction. There are a lots more people who believe they are, but lack the forethought and planning skills to make it out alive. I'm probably one of the latter, and I make no bones about it.

Think of the other vehicle as your PPE. You wouldn't dream of working in a dangerous situation without the right PPE for the job, why wouldn't you do the same when you recreate? It's a safety thing.

The bottom line here is that there is an outstanding chance that this would have had a whole other outcome if he'd been wheeling with another vehicle.

Again, my condolences to his friends and family...

Ron

We do not know the experience level of this individual, he may have been very experienced.

Separated by miles from the vehicle, save for an animal or another person dragging him from it, does not demonstrate experience. People go out hunting/hiking/wheeling alone all the time. Some know how to do it, others clearly don't. :read:

sucks to be his family, but you might as well never leave the house if your gonna live like that...

lets get this back on target, wtf was he doing in the snow, without doors?
silly wrangler owners!
i dont know why people are taking this personally, he wasnt in a cherokee!
can we start a group hug?

sucks to be his family, but you might as well never leave the house if your gonna live like that...

silly wrangler owners!

:thumbup:

Some keys to remember when you read this is, do not leave the rig, The rig was found before he was. Always be over prepared, warm clothing, food, and water. It's a sad thing when we loose someone we love. We all must go, let's just try to make it later.

Always bring some long range communication, too. Even out here in the Northeast it's possible to find places where a cellphone will be out of range. Heck, even as a licensed ham I think everyone who goes out alone, licensed or not, should have a good strong two-meter or six-meter transceiver with them, I'd rather see someone alive and in trouble with the FCC for unlicensed operation than dead and in compliance.

Always bring some long range communication, too. Even out here in the Northeast it's possible to find places where a cellphone will be out of range. Heck, even as a licensed ham I think everyone who goes out alone, licensed or not, should have a good strong two-meter or six-meter transceiver with them, I'd rather see someone alive and in trouble with the FCC for unlicensed operation than dead and in compliance.

They're legal to use in a true emergency situation without a license. ;)

They're legal to use in a true emergency situation without a license. ;)
Oh yeah. Forgot that whole "use any and every channel you can if you are in an emergency" clause. Good catch :thumbup:

Oh yeah. Forgot that whole "use any and every channel you can if you are in an emergency" clause. Good catch :thumbup:

I have no desire to chat with folks miles and miles away while I'm out enjoying myself, so I found no reason to be licensed. The 2M radio that comes along with me is set up for local repeaters in case of emergency. :)

silly wrangler owners!

The no doors thing is crazy. The Bodie area has had temps of -38!!!!! and thats not with a wind chill.

Not to be argumentive, but I dissagree with you and Coastie.

Zuki I totally get what you're saying but if I thought like you I would never get to go wheeling. I am stationed in a very northern part of MI and not many people around and even fewer wheelers. So what am I supposed to do? Sit around and blame my situation for not letting me go wheeling? No, I make sure I have a plan let people know where I am and go prepared.

I feel for his family and I am sorry for their lose but it sounds like this guy went un prepared, out of his depth, and got what was coming to him.

Reasons like this I carry at least 1 blanket and a coat in my jeep year round. Ya never know when you might get caught off guard.

water (at least a gallon), blanket (even in summer, shock happens), phone, c.b. , a route plan to your friends, a way to create fire (preferably more than one), Be over prepared, and you're better off, do not leave the vehicle, a large vehicle is easier to spot than a small person
I feel like every one on this forum is a friend, and I would do all I could to help one of ya'll, the first step is to help yourself.

Back