• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OBO u-turn steering

I still have the factory steering linkage.
And there is some bumpsteer. U can get a drop pitman arm, but like shimmy said, u will be putting more stress on the steering box. Bigger tires ect. Either way u should have a reinforcement plate like from c-rok and a frame strengthener tie in like the one rusty's sells. Check out jeepin.com He has done some really cool stuff to his rigs and others.
As far as your bumpsteer is concerned, its all about trial and error. And the price u payed for liftinf it in the first place. If u feel the need to spend that much on your dana 30 by all means go ahead, there are alot of people who still use theirs and they are for the most part reliable. But a dana 44 would be much cooler.

SLAYER said:
Other than that does everyone have bump steer on there 5.5 inch and up kits??
Is there anything i can do in the mean time that doesnt cost $600 to help take it away?
Look at my pics and tell me what u think besides its dirtyness. hehehe.
stiffer shocks in the front end can reduce the suspension travel and hence bump-steer in the meantime.
As well, check your steering stabilizer by removing and end and compressing it by hand. I had the 5.5 RE kit for 6 months with stock steering and it wasn't until I replaced the steering that I realized I had been driving with a stabilizer that had very non-linear, squirrely behavior. Although a stabilizer is viewed as a crutch, a broken one doesn't offer predictable handling.

To simply answer your question, I have the ORO U-turn kit. It's easy and works pretty well, but you can find some other systems for about half the price that work just as well. The Currie Currectlync comes to find, for about $250 CHEAPER. My bro has it, and that tie rod is thick and meaty. I bought the ORO kit thinking "if it's the most expensive it must be the best.". I don't think that's necessarily the case here. There are equally good systems for a lot less coin.

Chris

oh yeah, check out JCR Offroad's 1ton steering system too. yes, I know they are different systems than the ORO kit, but I've heard and read plenty of good things about both the Currie and JCR kit. The JCR is only $295.

WoW!!!
JCR's 1-ton kit is only $255 bucks right now. The only thing u have to do to make the kit work is ream out the knuckle holes.
Currie Currectlync looks ok, but i would have to go with JCR or ORO.
JCR is looking better to stomach with the nice price tag.

Yah that does look nice. $$249 great deal. Only 1 more day to decide buddy. The JCR 1-ton steering kit goes offsale at the end of wednsday.

WTF!!! I CANT BELIEVE HOW MUCH THEY WANT FOR THE ORO U-TURN KIT!!!! Basically your paying $500 just for the stupid brackets that dont even raise your steering setup. Screw that.

Go with the JCR setup it looks very nice and sturdy and u can still keep the akerman theory.

JEEPTUBE said:
Go with the JCR setup it looks very nice and sturdy and u can still keep the akerman theory.

What "type" of steering is the JCR.. .is that considered an inverted "T"? I don't understand which types of steering are best for what applications? This dana 30 steering sticky in the forum shows several good links, but again what are the different styles' pros and cons?

No one ever answered my above question... I would like to purchase this while it's onsale if it will help my problem of loose steering and wandering. I'm only mildly in need of the strength. Thanks, -K

I talked to the guy (brian?) today at JCR about the problems I have with current setup and what I could expect if I bought his new steering system. Just wanted to let everyone know that he was very helpfull and seemed like a great guy, very honest about the product. Thanks!

I have the ORO U-Turn Kit. I love it, no complaints, and I have no bump steer. When I installed this kit I also purchased a bran new factory steering stabalizer. I have also slammed it into rocks head on a couple times so bad I though my tie rod would be bent but its still strait as an arrow.

P4050221.jpg

Ease of installation... beefy tie rod and drag link... It uses standard tie rod ends that can be easly replaced... Steers like its new
I was hesatant to purchase it and thought about it for a week then said "screw it" and shelled out the cash.

Actually it is cool that u dont have to taper&ream anything out. So if u wanted to go back to stock or if u sold the xj and wanted to keep the set up without having to change the knuckles it would be ideal.

Back