• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OBD I extended idle thread

I'm working with Ghettocruiser on a different approach, using the cruise from my 87 to generate a cruise setting via a switch. I'm looking into a way to have it adjustable like on our fire engine, I would like to be able to raise the cruise while at idle to whatever setting I want and then automatically shut off when the brake is applied. Still looking for someone who has done this. Too cold and wintery for me to explore this right now, keep the ideas coming and thanks.

tkjeeper, check out my posting. I think I resurrected your thread by starting another. Here is a link:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=939282

See if some of this will help you. PM me if you have any questions, as I am going to do this for others to enjoy the benefits of the Extended Idle. Mine is a '94 OBD I 4.0 HO, and a AW4.

Jeff

Seems like using the cruise would be a little dangerous...

It won't activate unless you are above 35mph. At least on my 95.

If you were able to get it to activate under 35mph, what if you activated it in stop and go traffic?

It'd be nice if it were only a park or neutral setup, where it wouldn't work in gear....

Let us know what you find out eventually.

Blaine B. said:
Seems like using the cruise would be a little dangerous...

It won't activate unless you are above 35mph. At least on my 95.

If you were able to get it to activate under 35mph, what if you activated it in stop and go traffic?

It'd be nice if it were only a park or neutral setup, where it wouldn't work in gear....

Let us know what you find out eventually.

He is trying to do something different from what I did. But its going to be tough. The method I came up with, and that he is playing with, does not use the factory cruise set up at all. It utilizes a second cruise unit. Its completely independant of any other cruise control functions that the jeep might already have. You are just triggering the solenoids in the unit to hold or block vac. to the diaphram. So you are operating the unit manually.

Making the idle adjustable via a switch using the cruise unit would be difficult. It has to use vac, and bleed vac in sync in order to hold its position. If it doesnt do one or ther other, it will go to a "full pull" condition or do nothing at all. The SIMPLEST way to accomplish the cruise method is to do it the way i have it. Its a simple ON/OFF set up. You flip the switch on, and it activates. Flip the switch off, it de-activates.

The way I worked in adjustment, was to adjust the point of attachment to the throttle lever. My cruise unit goes to full pull when its activated. Now its predictable. SO I adjust the point of attachment, to where when its at full pull, it pulls the throttle/idle up to where I want it. Its infinite adjustment...but no chance of it going WOT on me out of nowhere.

Mine is hooked up so that it WILL NOT operate unless the compressor needs to kick on. There is a slight delay between the time the compressor kicks on, and the idle raises. I never use my compressor/OBA set up while sitting in traffic....and as long as the compressor switch is off, the high idle will not kick in, regardless of its switches position.

Its about as safe as it can get as far as Im concerned. And like Ive said a bunch of times before, its worked perfectly for me for years now. If I ever do another OBA, Ill definetly re-do this set up.

I think tkjeeper got something workin...but I havent seen details yet. All I know is, I got a chance to play with an EXT IDLE switch set up...and it just didnt seem worth it. I mean...it worked... But I liked bumping up to 2k for OBA. Filled a 7 gallon tank with my 210 york in seconds. Worked so nice for air tools. I switched to a 2.5 gallon tank, and the volume just wasnt there. Should have left it 7 or 8 gal.

J.

Back