• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OBD connector?

hbtmcg

NAXJA Forum User
1986 2wd 2.8l Auto

I searched the car but couldn't find and OBD port is there one on the carb'd versions of our suv? If so where is it and what does it look like? My haynes manual says it should be in the engine bay darned if I can find it.

hbt

It's probably not OBD. Since the 87-90 was not OBD, I don't see why the earlier ones would be, and then change their minds (especially with the carburetted 2.8)

If there is an OBD connector, it was usually (in GM systems) under the dashboard near the steering column. It's a two-row connector, but I don't remember how wide.

Here's the kick - if don't have a "Check Engine" light, don't bother looking. A trademark of OBD is the MIL/CEL, which is used to indicate a problem or to display Diagnostic Trouble Codes (a requirement of OBD.) If you don't have the light, you don't have OBD.

The light should come on when you first turn the key on, for two to three seconds - unless the light has burned out.

5-90

Not sure about '86 but '87 thru '90 F.I. has computer connectors on the passenger side right in front of the pressure bottle. Renix does not have the ability to throw or store codes. These ports can only read a live data values with the proper reader. Do a search, been discussed extensively at times.

You have some connectors for diagnostics, under two small yellow caps. One is roughly square, the other is smaller and rectangular.

But they are proprietary. They are not OBD-compliant. And the rudimentary '86 ECU that controls the ignition and throttle body injector is a Renix system that does not store trouble codes.

I thought the 2.8 did save codes, like other GM systems. According to the old Haynes manual, you should be able to retrieve them by jumpering terminals 6 and 7 of the larger diagnostic socket in the engine compartment. The check engine light should then flash the codes when you turn on the ignition.

The codes are on page 6-17 of my Haynes manual.

unless it's a california equipped 2.8L (or some export models) with the rochester e2se electronic feedback carburetor it has absolutely NO on-board diagnostics.

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say it's probably not, so you're looking for something that doesn't exist.

and pick up a haynes for an older s10 or blazer. they contain more useful information (engine wise) for your Jeep than the Jeep version has.

That motor will make you cuss uncontrollably, so don't work on it in front of women or children.

CheapXJ said:
unless it's a california equipped 2.8L (or some export models) with the rochester e2se electronic feedback carburetor it has absolutely NO on-board diagnostics.

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say it's probably not, so you're looking for something that doesn't exist.

and pick up a haynes for an older s10 or blazer. they contain more useful information (engine wise) for your Jeep than the Jeep version has.

That motor will make you cuss uncontrollably, so don't work on it in front of women or children.

Trust Haynes to leave out that little detail. I should know better by now, shouldn't I?

Back