• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NWC Nomination Discussion

I hope abstain is brought back as an option

collegehumor.9c796ac8f18fd5b66b5f74aaef9e666b.jpg

This thread got kind of interesting for awhile. :D

Like I stated before, I'm looking forward to 2014 with the NWC. I consider the NWC "my" club, and as much as I would like to walk away sometimes, I can't.

Adam, John, and Scott, best of luck to you guys, and thanks for stepping up. I would have no problem working with any of you for the next year. :cheers:

By the way, shouldn't the polls be posted? Slackerz.

Do you have naxja cards/Nwc cards? I'd like to get some because I'm always seeing Cherokees here and all they know is the Salem jeepers or nothing. I've talked to them a few times and told about naxja but some business cards might help get them to check it out/join.

Do you have naxja cards/Nwc cards? I'd like to get some because I'm always seeing Cherokees here and all they know is the Salem jeepers or nothing. I've talked to them a few times and told about naxja but some business cards might help get them to check it out/join.
isnt it funny how most people here kinda do there own random things

isnt it funny how most people here kinda do there own random things

Ya they really really do lol even for Salem jeepers it's hard it seems to do a run, mainly it's always the tj,yj, and newer wranglers on those runs, very few Cherokees. It would be nice to get a bigger presence here in the Salem/Albany area, heck even try to get some of the Eugene people in.

It's now just sinking in on how big the nwc really is, we have a lot of ground covering lmao

for a long time the NWC was VERY "cliky" or "clicked up" which is where a lot of what you guys are talking about comes into play. This year the bod tried to mix things up a bit (id like to think that where you guys came from) south of Portland has traditionally NOT been a focal point of this group.

I don't see that changing much for 2014 with the group of nominees we have in play this year

we did try:twak:.
Bronze.

for a long time the NWC was VERY "cliky" or "clicked up" which is where a lot of what you guys are talking about comes into play. This year the bod tried to mix things up a bit (id like to think that where you guys came from) south of Portland has traditionally NOT been a focal point of this group.

I don't see that changing much for 2014 with the group of nominees we have in play this year

Bronze.

Look, I'm not here to argue. But this chapter clearly needs more trail time.. That IS going to change in 2014..

John, you live down there.. Why not take on that area yourself and change your opinion? If someone like yourself just stepped up and made a Salem area "alliance" per'say I am all for that! Creating local friendships is one of the GREAT things about this chapter!!!

I agree on the trail time Scott. When it comes to the "taking lead" I have tried for many years not to establish a better presence in the further south regions of our chapter. "Perception is reality" from the look of the forum this chapter is primarily based in the pdx area. with the lack of support and presence in this area from the long time standing members, it paints the picture that there is nothing going on in the area. based on this it is hard to recruit new members, and support new run and events in the area. laugh if you want, but look at the 4th of july thing, at NWFest we had close to 40 rigs and pushing 75 people. (I know it wasn't a national/annual event) but less than 2 weeks later we had a showing of 5 jeeps, and 8 people.:dunno:

don't get me wrong, this is not the only area of the chapter that has this problem. I.E. Idaho, BC, Alaska... I just have been on this train for some time now, not trying to be rude or start shizz. I just don't think it going to change without participation from a majority of the existing crew.

Bronze.

We should all get together for a "meet & greet" / Debate. You know hang out & drink beer, let the candidates field the tough questions. Afterwards have some chilli fries and feel good.

We should all get together for a "meet & greet" / Debate. You know hang out & drink beer, let the candidates field the tough questions. Afterwards have some chilli fries and feel good.

I agree, these decision should be made in person…

Haha There's three runs planned in the next 4 weeks!

I'm all for it but is there a way to do a half way point? Like wilsonville or etc? Like the last meet n greet(Vancouver) kinda makes it a long drive for us farther south.

Do you have naxja cards/Nwc cards?
I do. I'll try and post a picture of the two styles I have. Maybe get a SASE system going for distribution.

John I consider you a friend, so please don't take this as an attack. I'm simply curious what you mean from your posts.
for a long time the NWC was VERY "cliky" or "clicked up" which is where a lot of what you guys are talking about comes into play.
What some may view as "clicks" others view as friends. Yes, we have created nicknames for some such as the "Gresham Boyz,", but I disagree that the NWC has "clicks". Your view of these friendships seems to be negative.

This year the bod tried to mix things up a bit (id like to think that where you guys came from)
How so? The parade was a great success, but other than that I'm confused as to what was done different from previous years?

south of Portland has traditionally NOT been a focal point of this group.
I'm confused by this statement. What determines if a location is a focal point? I wasn't aware the chapter had "focal points" other than trail systems (TSF, Elvans/Elbe, Naches). We had one M&G this year in Vancouver, because that was a pretty central location for the majority. I'm sorry if that doesn't work for some, but we simply cannot suit everyone's needs for convenient locations.

I don't see that changing much for 2014 with the group of nominees we have in play this year.

Can you elaborate on this?

Bronze.

John, you live down there.. Why not take on that area yourself and change your opinion? If someone like yourself just stepped up and made a Salem area "alliance" per'say I am all for that! Creating local friendships is one of the GREAT things about this chapter!!!

Correct. I don't live in the "Salem" area, so unfortunately I'm not going to be planning any M&G's, shows, or events down there. That's the truth. I'll support them, and try to make it to them, but I won't be taking the lead on them. I don't view this as a BOD responsibility that's asinine. It's up to those who live there to step up. Post up local 4x4 shows, events, or even a Fish-N-Greet. Sure you might strike out with a small turnout, but at least you tried.

with the lack of support and presence in this area from the long time standing members, it paints the picture that there is nothing going on in the area. based on this it is hard to recruit new members, and support new run and events in the area. laugh if you want, but look at the 4th of july thing, at NWFest we had close to 40 rigs and pushing 75 people. (I know it wasn't a national/annual event) but less than 2 weeks later we had a showing of 5 jeeps, and 8 people.:dunno:
I consider myself a longtime standing member, and I am confused as to how I haven't supported the "new runs" and "events" in your area? I'm sorry I wasn't able to make it to the parade, but it was a holiday and I had other plans for it. I think a lot of others were in the same boat. You simply cannot take the turnouts for runs/events personally.

I just don't think it going to change without participation from a majority of the existing crew.
What do you expect from "the existing crew"? If I post a 4x4 Show in Vancouver, I sure as hell don't expect you to make the trek up here for it (props if you do though). I understand you live a ways away. However, by posting it at least those local for it aware of it, and may choose to check it out. The same should go for events in your area, and all over the NWC.

Bronze.

If we're going to make Salem and the surrounding area a "focal point" for events in 2014, we may as well add Yakima, Bonney Lake, and Bellingham to the list not to leave anyone out.

On the other hand, those who live in those areas could step up and inform the chapter of upcoming runs, 4x4 shows, wrenching parties, and meet-n-greets to their area. I know with enough notice, I would certainly consider making the drive for some.

Here's my take, instead of making focal points, why don't we all just try and be willing to go an extra mile for one another, meet n greets in both Portland/Vancouver but also Salem/Albany area. Wrenching groups in similar areas, I hope the Portland area guy see that us farther south really do try and come hang out and meet and wrench with you guys, and hopefully have you guys go the extra mile for us too if we post up a wrenching party or meet and greet.

It's like a saying I was told about relationships: it's a 60/40 things, both parties giving 60% and only expecting 40% back.

Not that I have ever even been to a meet n greet. But it's the same for us up here as it is for you guys. Salem is an hour long drive each way, same for you guys to come here. Hell I haven't ever been to one at all because. Hillsburrito, Beverbytheton and Vantucky are to far for me to drive then get home before midnight. Not even to mention gas at over $3.00 a gallon.

What some may view as "clicks" others view as friends. Yes, we have created nicknames for some such as the "Gresham Boyz,", but I disagree that the NWC has "clicks". Your view of these friendships seems to be negative.

Negative is nothow I want to be perceived at looking at this issue. That's a hard one to describe in a couple written sentences. I have posted runs up probably 4 times "off the top of my head". That I gave plenty of notice on. And had either little to no response, and/or had no more than a rig or two show up. I know there bunch of circumstances that come into play when getting people from all walks of life together for runs and events. Not being a jerk, but do you know what it is like to plan an event or trail run, and have nobody show up to it. It sucks man. Then have it happen more than a few times.

I have watched people post up runs/events and had little to no turnout. On the flip side to that, let’s say. mojojo posts a run, or yourself.(just as eg's) The Thread explodes! why? I don't know, but it feeds right into what I am talking about. Look at BPB's shakedown run VS. Mine. (I use me so much because I know the facts, and I don't want to speak for other people) but I have seen this more that it gets credit for.

Events and shows: there are trail systems all over the area. (Santiam pass, Eugene, eastern Oregon) it never gets discussed as a possibility. D/T location right? Because the majority of the members are in the pdx area making those trips far more difficult. I get it. Now Put that shoe on the other foot for a minute. It costs more, its further away, there are less people around to do local things with. Now let’s say, OK. Take the inchoative, post a run, and get it going yourself. You do. Nobody shows, I mean nobody "crickets". Must be a fluke right? Well try it again sometime. Next time the thread looks good but only 1 rig shows. Then another, and another. You get the point... I know there are plenty of 4x4 shops and probably big shows and other such things going on down here. One they never get posted, and two, after the above, who would bank on people showing up anyways?

This year the bod tried to mix things up a bit (I’d like to think that where you guys came from)
How so? The parade was a great success, but other than that I'm confused as to what was done different from previous years?
Yes the parade was one. MANY more show were attended this year. FB had a total redesign and was started over from scratch (has been a success). Swag. And it seems like there were more idea/feeler threads started than years past.

South of Portland has traditionally NOT been a focal point of this group.
I'm confused by this statement. What determines if a location is a focal point? I wasn't aware the chapter had "focal points" other than trail systems (TSF, Elvans/Elbe, Naches). We had one M&G this year in Vancouver, because that was a pretty central location for the majority. I'm sorry if that doesn't work for some, but we simply cannot suit everyone's needs for convenient locations.

This, and This go hand in hand on this subject.

Correct. I don't live in the "Salem" area, so unfortunately I'm not going to be planning any M&G's, shows, or events down there. That's the truth. I'll support them, and try to make it to them, but I won't be taking the lead on them.

I don't view this as a BOD responsibility that's asinine.

Neither do I, but asinine? They can’t manifest themselves right? So if nobody out of the area looks to new areas to take the chapter to what happens then? Seems like the familiar story of a shrinking chapter to me.

It's up to those who live there to step up. Post up local 4x4 shows, events, or even a Fish-N-Greet. Sure you might strike out with a small turnout, but at least you tried.

how many times, without success, would you continue?

We did try .
Can you elaborate on this?

I’ll let all the members I have done my best to help. And opened my heart, home, and family to, speak on that one. (If they choose to do so) all in hopes of bringing more members to the chapter. I don't know how many times I have said "save it, put it down on your NAXJA membership" I have done a lot of things with a lot of NEW members here this year. and loved every min of it!

I consider myself a longtime standing member, and I am confused as to how I haven't supported the "new runs" and "events" in your area? I'm sorry I wasn't able to make it to the parade, but it was a holiday and I had other plans for it. I think a lot of others were in the same boat. You simply cannot take the turnouts for runs/events personally.
In no way did I take anything personal, nor am I looking at it like a "WTF" And let me say it again. That was one of the most BA things one could do with their jeep. I had a blast and am sooooo glad dad, Tessa, and the rest helped me put it on. We ate like hogs, did jeep stacks in the street (almost ran some rent-a-cops over) and got massive cheers from the locals. Added a couple forum users after too. so it was good. I didn't mean for that to sound negative, just trying to use the Eg, and make a point. "my bad"

BUT, this

What do you expect from "the existing crew"? If I post a 4x4 Show in Vancouver, I sure as hell don't expect you to make the trek up here for it (props if you do though). I understand you live a ways away. However, by posting it at least those local for it aware of it, and may choose to check it out.The same should go for events in your area, and all over the NWC.

Creates a problem.

Are you saying "props" to me for making it up. But that you could care less weather or not I made it or not? It comes off that way...

Now let’s say ALL of the NWC members live in the pdx area. (Hypothetical) And we use what you’re saying as a guide. We would be essentially relying on new members to join the club and try to get involved with a group that has zero activity in their area. It may be one thing if that group was willing to broaden their horizon’s. but It seems like there is a lack of drive to expand the chapter southward.

If we're going to make Salem and the surrounding area a "focal point" for events in 2014, we may as well add Yakima, Bonney Lake, and Bellingham to the list not to leave anyone out.

Your %100 right, and I tried to hit on that in the op.

What I want to say is that there seems to be an influx of members in the area wanting things to happen down here. But it just never seems to happen. You talk about those places in the north, as you are scheduling new runs in the north. That’s what we’re talking about here right. I just don't get why they don’t come south. How can we rely on new members to get that going?

Without yours and Scott’s efforts over the last couple months do you think we would have a shot at the north? (I know we got the weirdo too) but seriously. If you just left it. naxja would die there. the same can be said here, but there are only a couple members to help generate support down here.

If I posted a snow run @ Detroit lake would you show? With GPNF is in your back yard? I really doubt it, I don't think there would be an amount of notice that would draw you and/or many of the others out that far. not being an ass, I have been here a while now.

Yes I/we, get/would get, props for showing up to the events that are far away. But from the people I’d like to call friends here at NAXJA it seems to hold no weight. Especially when trying to get things going in a new area.

just trying to elaborate.

Bronze.

Where are all the legal places to wheel in Oregon and Washington is there a list on here some where if I go south I go to the dunes and mud to the north. I'm up for new places
And a meet and greet in Vancouver is almost halfway to Salem for me like 50 min to the rock Hillsboro is 1 hour+ most nights to Vancouver Salem to Vancouver is an hour+ so central for everyone is some where on the north end of Portland.
How about we plan one at fuddruckers in lake Oswego nice place closer to the south guys right off I 5 I would make the drive to go take me an hour and a half + to get there how close would that be for the south guys? I'm up for it who else is?

You talk about those places in the north, as you are scheduling new runs in the north. That’s what we’re talking about here right. I just don't get why they don’t come south.

Personally, I like to travel to wheel fun trails, and Elbe/Evans are fun. That's why I travel, north. I am not familiar with any (legit) trail systems down in your area. There's some pretty good crawling areas out past Bend, but I wouldn't call that the Salem area since that's a haul for you guys too. I do not recall ever seeing any threads in the Staging Area for those places. Perhaps you could enlighten us about these places.

I'm not against traveling your way, or driving a few hours to go wheeling. I just need a reason to go, and I've never had a reason to (wheeling run, 4x4 show, etc).

just trying to elaborate.

Bronze.
Thanks, John. I could post a long reply, but we can BS around the next campfire instead. I guess we have some differing opinions on a few things. I feel like a few of your issues may be more on the personal level verses the chapter level.

Thanks, John. I could post a long reply, but we can BS around the next campfire instead. I guess we have some differing opinions on a few things. I feel like a few of your issues may be more on the personal level verses the chapter level.

I look forward to it. everybody is entitled to there opinions right ;)

I've been Disqualified (as I suspected could happen.. I'll still be here next year!)

VP: 2 Questions before I vote..

Did you have anything to do with my Time-Out in April..:smsoap:

And Who did you vote for in the last United States presidential Election.;)

Back