• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP435 4 speed swap. (picture story)

Well......we hit a little road block.

We bolted the bellhousing up to the block to see how concentric it was...well it wasnt.

We measured and we are .015'' or so off center. At most we should be .005''. What does this mean? We have to go to the machine shop on a Sunday and bore some holes out. Our approach is going to be:

-Measure total indicator reading (TIR) (which will be 2x how far off center we are)
-Mark the high spot and low spot so we have a line.
-Fasten the bellhousing to the mill's table
-Indicate the holes and bore 1/2 the TIR in the right direction and make .500'' holes
-Turn aluminum or brass bushing on the lathe they have .500'' outside and proper (havet measured yet) ID dimension.
-Press new bushings in and pray.

Moving the holes over is the best solution we've come up with. It'll take some time and this means that I wont be in the Comanche this weekend (but hopefully next)

Anyhow, back to what I posted up for: some pictures of nothing interesting other than what we got done yesterday before we decided to have a family dinner at the Oyster House.

Transmission with the top off:
IMG_2054.jpg

Side view:
IMG_2053.jpg

Top:
IMG_2052.jpg

who knows what that means
IMG_2056.jpg

Strapped to the jack
IMG_2055.jpg

Current situation under there
IMG_2039.jpg

Engine and trans hole
IMG_2045.jpg

hole:
IMG_2044.jpg

I'll take some more pictures when we go to the shop and machine the holes and whatnot. I also lost one of my brass washer/bushings from one of the earlier posts so Ill have to make one more. (maybe 3 or 4).

Unexciting weekend and not the most happy about it.

I'm also curious why you had to bore new holes in the T-176 bellhousing? I thought they were supposed to bolt right up the 4.0 and the Ford NP435? (Mine did).

Yeah its still sittin way back in the driveway and I havent worked on it since my last post.....Ive been busy with house and just generally demotivated.

The T176 bellhousing is the one that bolts right up to the NP435 no problem, howwever the T150 has all the holes piloted, but not drilled, I guess I have the T150 (or whichever it is that needed to be finished being drilled out.) So we did that and measuring the concentrically of the input shaft and flywheel we are out of alignment and must drill new holes since the bellhousing is more or less fitted to each block...

All in all whats left to do? :

-relocate the mounting guide pin holes
-bolt tranny up
-cut some sheet metal so the shifter will fit in the floor
-attach slave and set up the throwout length (I think thats the right terminology and Im pretty sure we'll have to mess with it)
-line up tranny with axle
-fabricate crossmember and secure tranny to it
-have driveshaft cut and installed
-find/make some sort of bitchin shift knob
-drive

Its really not but 3 good days work (running around to the parts store and fabricating shit), but I have alot on my plate at real work and home.

I am going to try my best to get this done by September 19th (1 month -ish). Dont hold me to it.

I really appreciate all the support and hope Ive encouraged others to try out this transmission.

Back