• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

np242 xj to np242 wj

njxj4x4

NAXJA Forum User
I recently did a motor swap for a friend in his 99 wj. as payment he bought me all my beer and food for the weekend and whatever parts off the parts truck i needed. i recently been having problems with my transfer case so i decided to take the np242 out of the 99 wj. i have a 88 xj with a np242 with a hack and tap installed on it. knowing that my jeep is so old i have my speed censer on the tail housing of the rear output shaft on my tcase. on the 99 wj tcase its a more modern electrical connection on it. i was wondering if i just switched my tail housing onto the newer tcase to allow my speedo cable to work, would that work? im assuming the 242 in a xj and wj are the same cause they both have a 4.0 with a aw4 trans, but we all know what happens when we assume. also would my shift linkage be the same too? the wj had a diffrent type of stick to put it in and out of 4wd.

Unless you know that the trans has never been replaced. Up til 90 had 21 spline input on the tcase. So the wj one will not bolt in. At the very least you would need to swap input shaft. Which makes it more involved. Not sure that the xj input shaft even works in the wj cases. Might be better off with something else.

you wont be able to swap the inputs, the gear cut was changed in 1994 so that is out of the question. what exactly is wrong with your transfer case? these units are relatively simple and easy to rebuild!

Draven- my tcase chain is skipping in 4wheel low and high (i think) theres a clanking sound. kinda sounds like a chain on a mountain bike changing gears but alot heavyer sounding. if you get what i mean. kinda hard to describe the sound haha. i had a friend stand infront of my xj and one in back and they both said the sound is coming from the middle of my jeep. to me when im driving it it feels like its coming from the back but sounds like the front. at any speed makes the sound. in 2wd it drives fine no noise. i would just replace the chain but with it skipping i would think the gears it lays on have been worn down and would have to replace that also. i got the tcase out of the wj for free so im not to worryed about if it would work or not. im getting a atlas 2 but thats not till after taxes this year so i would just like my jeep to work before then.

talyn- i know the wj speed sensor is not in the same place as a xj, but on the tail housing it has casting marks where if it was for a xj they would cnc out to fit the xj speed sensor. thats why i was thinking if the tail housings where the same bolt pattern i would just swap them. i wasnt sure about the spline count tho.

when its not in 4x4 it drives fine. i do have a assue lunch box in the front that some times does make a heavy deep clanking clicking noise but only if im in a really bad hole and im flexed out too much. i thought it was that at first but having 2 friends tell me its coming from the middle of my xj i didnt think it would be my front locker.

Sounds as though the other members have given you the information to make a decision...
Since you said you are waiting until Income Tax time before installing a Atlas; I guess you need to decide what is the cheapest route....
You can remove the front ds and not use the tcase until you can afford to replace it or do a search in your area to see if someone has upgraded their <91 tcase.

Back