• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP242 case fluid change?????

And your point is what?

LOL, I was wondering the same thing about your all badgering me to switch to ATF, LOL.

I am a bit of a renegade, snake oil expert, chemical engineer, chemical product formulator, and I am not much on following OEM specs when I know what I am doing, which in this case (choosing to use oil and not ATF in the Transfer case) I do. :D

FWIW I'm pretty sure the fill plug is 1 3/16. I went and bought one, as my plugs were in stupid tight, and a crescent wrench wasn't goig to get it.

LOL, I was wondering the same thing about your all badgering me to switch to ATF, LOL.

I am a bit of a renegade, snake oil expert, chemical engineer, chemical product formulator, and I am not much on following OEM specs when I know what I am doing, which in this case (choosing to use oil and not ATF in the Transfer case) I do. :D

beerchug2.gif

The small pump isn't much for pulling thick fluids. If it was plash lubricated that would be different.

If it was a new TC, or a newer one, I might be using ATF. This one is so old, and was working with what looked, color and viscosity wise, like molasses, that I am not worried about whether or not a 24 year old worn pump with 278,000 miles on it can now handle a viscosity between the apx 80 wt junk that was in it, and the ultra low wt of an synthetic ATF. It should handle the 20W50 quite nicely, and easier than what it was pumping.

I am assuming that your comment implies that a new oil pump on a new TC has tight tolerances not meant for pumping grease,:eek: which I would agree with :wave:, LOL.

Last edited:
Said the guy that couldn't locate the fill plug. :)

But I did locate the right fill and drain plug, and had sense enough not to guess and risk pulling the wrong one!!!!!!:laugh:

LOL

We had a Ford bronco come in for a manual transmission rebuild. It had a pint of gear oil left in the transmission. Rebuilt the transmission, refilled it with the correct fluid then checked the transfer case. I removed the fill plug first and gear oil cam out of it. We think that some tried to change the transmission fluid, got the old stuff out but then proceeded to fill the transfer case with gear oil instead of the transmission.. probably through the vent hole or some thing like that. Filled it back up with ATF.

I found a nice image:

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30383

The $%#@&^%$ is almost 1-1/4, but not 1-1/4 and not 1-1/8, and all my large sockets are US, not metric, POS nuts! LOL, I used an adjustable, fits all wrench!

Turns out this 24 YO, NP242 has never had anything but motor oil in it. Looked like it had never been changed either!!! It was black, like well used diesel oil, and about the viscosity of gear oil that smelled like a sulfur plant. I put API SL grade 20W50 back in it.

We got it all together, and bolted back on the engine today!!!
It's 30mm iirc. Only reason I own a 30mm socket was because my old tcase in the 96 had the hex head instead of the huge allen socket.

I'd run ANY ATF in it - the tcase doesn't have any clutches, all it cares about is the right viscosity and heat resistance and some detergent to clean crap up. ATF+4, Dextron, Mercon, Type F, who cares, it sure doesn't...

I'm surprised gear lube does anything, that little pump in there isn't built to pump peanut butter after all. Ever see what below zero temps do to 80w90? "molasses in january" comes to mind, I spilled some on the snow refilling my axle by accident and literally picked it back up with my fingers after about a minute, then put it in the drain pan.

20w50 is seems good choice with a transfer at 278,000 miles, all things considered. (seriously.)

---------------

If it shows signs of needing, THE Ultimate Additive,
Suggest Roade Island Red fat - 2 oz.

:)D)

Regards,
Orange

FWIW, I drained a 242 that I just swapped into my '99XJ and it really looked like motor oil coming it. It was very dark and almost smelled like used motor oil. However, putting a shop light behind the dripping "oil" showed it did have a tint of red to it. Sounds like you might have just had a transfer case that was in dire need of fresh fluid.

FWIW, I drained a 242 that I just swapped into my '99XJ and it really looked like motor oil coming it. It was very dark and almost smelled like used motor oil. However, putting a shop light behind the dripping "oil" showed it did have a tint of red to it. Sounds like you might have just had a transfer case that was in dire need of fresh fluid.

Actually that sounds like the dex III I pulled out of my daughter's AW4 after 12 months of use last month!

This was definitely well used heavy sulfur gear oil from the smell. Might have been in 60-90 WT range when new, but was closer to 150 wt by the time I drained it, and the ambient temps here were about 78 F when I drained it, or I would have needed to shovel it out :laugh3:!!!!

orange,

Good thought, if it had not smelled so much like sulfur, and been more of a moly black shade, I might have thought that too, but this did not look like it had moly in it. This had more a high sulfur cutting and threading oil smell and appearance to it.

Back