• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP231D HD hybrid for Jeeps

hot_rod_hooligans

NAXJA Forum User
It's been said that the NP231D HD that came in the V8 Rams came with wide chains and 6 pinion planetary gears, it was not true in my case, but I'll pass the info of what I'm doing along for the lucky bastard that does find one, or wants to go find one.

There really isn't any point in opening up a Dodge case and pulling the guts out to put them in a Jeep case as I had originally planed, because the cases are the same, and it's all interchangeable.

Originally I picked this case up to put the guts into a 231J that suffered a failed hack-n-tap that was given to me, but an other buddy of mine had his Tera 4:1 blow up on him and I gave him the 231J. "Luckily" the engine in my Jeep bit the dust, so I gutted it and kept the case to use as the recipient.

DSC00001-1.jpg

DSC00002-1.jpg

The Dodge wide chain(Cloyes P/N 10-022), and the Jeep chain(Dodge on top)
DSC00004.jpg

Dodge and Jeep output shafts, with sprockets still attached(Dodge on top)
DSC00005.jpg

Bare outputs(Jeep on top)
DSC00064.jpg

But this Dodge case did not come with the fabled 6 pinion planetary:(
DSC00003.jpg

But after looking at the cases back to back, I realized there was no real differences between the two
Jeep
DSC00079.jpg

Dodge
DSC00078.jpg

So I tested a theory and put the extra tail shaft and tail housing I had been given from the one I gave away(he swapped in an SYE), into the Dodge case... Perfect fit!
DSC00077.jpg

Next I installed a Tera 2 Low in the 231D HD
Mode levers, if thats what they are called? Tera on the left.
DSC00056.jpg

Low range shift forks, Tera on left. The 231D HD has a little bigger shift fork than the 231Js(sorry no pic)
DSC00065.jpg

DSC00066.jpg

DSC00068.jpg

I ended up getting a 6 pinion planetary out of a 241D to put in, better safe than sorry with this going behind a 300+hp 4.7 stroker, and 37"s on the other end.
DSC00101.jpg

DSC00099.jpg

All that it took was to swap the input shaft from the old 3 pinion into the 6 pinion. fit like a glove(but not OJs glove)

I got the planetary on ebay, $100 shipped. It's used, but the teeth are in good shape, and the bearings are nice and tight(unlike the pinion bearings in the 231J that came out of my jeep). I work at that auto parts store, and had it shipped there, UPS shipping is much cheeper since there is a UPS store right next door.

Just to clarify: This is not a 231J that I am putting Dodge parts in. This is a NP231D HD that I'm putting a Tera 2 low, and SYE in. It's not going in an XJ, but it is going into a TJ with an AW4. Sorry guys, I'm going to the dark side.

After posting up over at Dodgeforum.com, I've found out apparently NONE of the 231D HDs came with 6 pinion planetary gears, just the wide chain. If you want a 6 pinion planetary, looks like the only options are to get one new from AA or JB Conversions, or get one out of a NP241.

I ended up getting a 6 pinion planetary out of a 241D to put in, better safe than sorry with this going behind a 300+hp 4.7 stroker, and 37"s on the other end.

All that it took was to swap the input shaft from the old 3 pinion into the 6 pinion. fit like a glove(but not OJs glove)

It's about time you got back to this, you have been working on it FOREVER!

:)

The quote (I para-quoted) confuesed me a bit. Are you saying you needed a different input shaft to work with 6 planetary gear set? I thought the better gear set worked with the 231J shaft?

Also, I found a guy who is disassembling t-cases and he sells a wide chain with sprockets of $77 and a 6 planetary gear set for $65 with free shipping. I am curious if I will need the input shaft too.

It's about time you got back to this, you have been working on it FOREVER!

:)

The quote (I para-quoted) confuesed me a bit. Are you saying you needed a different input shaft to work with 6 planetary gear set? I thought the better gear set worked with the 231J shaft?

Also, I found a guy who is disassembling t-cases and he sells a wide chain with sprockets of $77 and a 6 planetary gear set for $65 with free shipping. I am curious if I will need the input shaft too.

Well, I never actually got started on it till about a month ago. I was waiting on a few parts that were still in use by a wheeling buddy of mine, and I've got a lot of projects going on right now.

The planetary gears will work just fine, BUT the NP241D/Cs didn't come with 23 spline input shafts, I can't pull up JB Conversions web site right now, but I think they started at 27 spline inputs. That wasn't the reason I had to make the swap though, the planetary gears I bought didn't come with the input shaft.

X2 please.

I'd like to know also, I've been thinking about building a few of these to sell to help fund my build. Who'd want a bolt in rebuilt 231 with wide chain, 6 pinion planetary, and JB Conversions SYE?

If you guys want to do this swap, get get a case out of an early 90s S10 blazer with the 4.3 liter V6. I picked one up on craigs list for $50 and they have the wide chain and the 6 gear planetary. Its the NP231C model.

If you guys want to do this swap, get get a case out of an early 90s S10 blazer with the 4.3 liter V6. I picked one up on craigs list for $50 and they have the wide chain and the 6 gear planetary. Its the NP231C model.

Are you sure you did this or you just read about it? It seems like the typical line on most boards. My findings however are that there are no $50 t-cases on Craigs List (I have been looking since October) and the 241C comes with a 4 planetary gearset.

Are you sure you did this or you just read about it? It seems like the typical line on most boards. My findings however are that there are no $50 t-cases on Craigs List (I have been looking since October) and the 241C comes with a 4 planetary gearset.

Serious, around here 231j/241c cases are $150+ on craigslist.

The 231C only has a 4 pinion planetary.

The 241D/C come with 6 pinion planetary gears.

Back