• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP 231 front output shaft seal

BearWithAntlers

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I think I need to replace it, since the freshest drips are coming from around there. I changed the fluid so I will see if I'm right.

In the meantime, I tried several searches and I am getting some conflicting info. Different manufactures and retailers show parts but they dont look the same.

I hope I'm just stupid. Are these the same? Correct for 1994 Sport with NP231?

OMIX 18676.41 Front Output Shaft Oil Seal for 88-96 & 2001 Jeep Wrangler YJ, TJ, Cherokee XJ & Grand Cherokee ZJ with Model NP231 Transfer Case
https://www.quadratec.com/products/...lnTAgryj8pzEyqLnL6iPBtX23qCJVlBsaAr5XEALw_wcB

Crown Automotive 83503147 NP231 Front Output Shaft Oil Seal for 87-95 Jeep Wrangler YJ, Cherokee XJ and Comanche MJ
https://www.quadratec.com/products/52218_05.htm

I'd much rather get a good National or Timken seal and do it only once!

I was reading about the Timkin part # in one thread I found on Cherokee forum and it seemed like OP thought it wasn't the same.

I'll roll the dice with the SKF.. and the Timkin and the Omix.

I bought this truck last year from a guy on here. No leaks until I took it out last weekend. Whoops.

Thanks for the info. I'll check back when I replace it.

Bummer. Looks like I also have a slight weep coming from the seal between the T-case and the SYE housing.

Everything works ok. Might need to top off the fluid here and there until I get around to fixing it. My driveway sucks for working on my trucks.

Before you get into it too far check the center bolt. It will seep around the center bolt if it is loose or someone forgot the center bolt gasket washer. I've sealed mine with silicon and had it work just as well as the center bolt gasket washer.

Back