• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Now this is different:

ve read his stuff a couple times and while kinda interesting reading it just doesnt seem practicle. Go figure though he probly says the same thing about our lifted rigs

he can only drive 30-35 miles per charge? Yep, not very practical there....

What is not to get? He built an EV out of his Jeep. What is hard to figure out about that?
I read his website quite a while ago and I thought it was really good. Here he had a Jeep with 410,000 miles on it and on it's second engine. He had the desires and the intellect to turn it into an EV and he did it. Good for him.
Will it be able to go off road or rock crawling? probably not
Will he get every penny off of his investment? No but neither will you or I.
Did he enjoy the build and learn something valuable? Probably so.
I think he did something great. He took a tired old XJ that was probably destined for the junkyard to be picked apart by part vultures or turned into scrap metal and he made it into a vehicle that suits his needs and can take him where he needs to go.

that EV prolly has more torque and acceleration than any of our I6s

djblade311 said:
that EV prolly has more torque and acceleration than any of our I6s

Yep, You can't beat an electric motor for torque, it's instant, no build up time like a gas motor. It would be great if it had a longer run time.

Rob $.02

next step = http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directory:MIT_Nanotube_Super_Capacitor

Nothing 'wireless' electric will be practical until we can get energy storage densities down to something comparable to a StarTrek phaser. Even the current designs for an ultracapacitor have an energy storage capacity of only 1/10,000 the volumetric energy density of gasoline. Even so, there have been some supercapacitor systems put into service. The long recharge life of capacitors is very attractive, both from an economic and ecologic perspective. ref

note to self: pick up some ultracapacitors for my handheld railgun :D

no gas, no emissions...

Who is he kidding...does he think the power coming out of his wall is free. It probably comes from a coal burning plant that polutes more than his I6 did. The is no such thing as zero emissions energy...PERIOD.

JohnX said:
no gas, no emissions...

Who is he kidding...does he think the power coming out of his wall is free. It probably comes from a coal burning plant that polutes more than his I6 did. The is no such thing as zero emissions energy...PERIOD.

Spoken like the truly ignorant.
Is all electricity emission free? No. The grid that we are on uses diesel, hydro, natural gas, and some wind. Half of the sources are emission free. Even if you are on a 100% coal and you had an EV, the emissions emitted by the amount of power generated to run your vehicle would be far less than the amount of emissions emitted by a gas powered car.
But that is not the only point of EV's- no need for gas and little maintenance are also part of the equation.

Actually, it is more like 7-9% of electricity is currently emission free. (My in laws run a Hydro-electric plant...and that is what the trade magazenes quote) And even those get headaches from folks who think they disturb the natural environment.

Now, having said that. Electricity is an "on demand" energy for 99% of what the country uses. We do not yet have the technology to store the power in any large factor form. Batteries are electrical "storage" and the best we have currently.

The way the grid works right now, when more power is needed, more generators get fired up....until they are all on. Then if more power is needed, it is not available and brownouts, or blackouts occur. Since we have not really built many new power plants in the last 20+ years, and power demand keeps rising....pretty much they are all on all of the time.

But the generators will be on (and producing) whether folks are charging their cars or not. He is not producing any "additional" emissions over what would be produced anyway.

It looks like it is a fun hobby for him. I'll stick to my IC mill though....

Jim

I'd like one for just driving around town. Running to WallMart and groceries. Beats the GEM electric cart my wife wanted a couple years ago...

I just had a vision of Bubba, with his new ultracapacitor-powered, 4-foot-body-lift F350, at Walmart.

Bubba is on a step ladder with his head under the hood when Boudreaux pulls up along side:

Boudreax: "What's wrong Bubba?"
Bubba: "Danged if I know, Boudreaux."
Boudreaux: "Maybe it needs a jump." Boudreaux produces a pair of jumper cables. "Here, we'll jus' hook this'un right cheer, and this'un right cheer, and - let me take a look in there, Bubba. Oh, yeah. We'll jus' hook this'un right ch.."BLAM!
Bubba: "Boudreaux! Boudreaux! Where are ya' boy?!" -cough-cough- "Dang! Where'd all this here smoke come from?"

fini :D

mavinwy said:
Actually, it is more like 7-9% of electricity is currently emission free.
Sorry, I didn't mean to be misleading. I meant that the grid that my house is on- i.e- My local utility comany uses hydro, diesel, natural gas, and wind. Half of those sources are emission free.

Funny thing about the wind generation. Anybody who has driven on 580 from the central valley to the bay has seen hundreds of windmills not doing anything (it is even more incredible when you fly and see just how many windmills there are). Story goes that they are not allowed to run all the windmills at the same time because it disturbs the local birds and their flight patterns etc. So as a compromise they cycle the windmills and only run a percentage of them at a time. I am all for protecting the environment but some people take it a bit too far.

ZPD said:
Funny thing about the wind generation. Anybody who has driven on 580 from the central valley to the bay has seen hundreds of windmills not doing anything (it is even more incredible when you fly and see just how many windmills there are). Story goes that they are not allowed to run all the windmills at the same time because it disturbs the local birds and their flight patterns etc. So as a compromise they cycle the windmills and only run a percentage of them at a time. I am all for protecting the environment but some people take it a bit too far.

How silly......
This is the same state that has semi-regular "rolling blackouts" right?

I'd think the bird could either fly over it, or turn. and fly around.....

Jim

mavinwy said:
How silly......
This is the same state that has semi-regular "rolling blackouts" right?

I'd think the bird could either fly over it, or turn. and fly around.....

Jim

They don't only disturb their flight patterns, they kill a number of birds, particularly nocturnal birds, as well as bats. Funny thing about technology - It doesn't go very well with nature. One question is: How much nature are we willing, or can we afford to give up for the benefits of technology?

And no, I don't have any answers. I'm kind of annoying that way - lots of problems - no answers. Not easy answers, anyway.

Back