• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

normal voltage

cinema

NAXJA Forum User
1996. I'm pulling these readings from the OBD2

I put in a new alternator (stock replacement). With headlamps and blower going it will can below 13.5 at idle. 13.7-13.8 when i'm just riding along with not much going on. radio/dash backlight dims when turning on accessories. idles nice and rough initially when i turn on the blower but seems to even out in a few moments.

normal?

both new and old alternators tested good on the bench. is this just the state of things on these trucks? finding out more as I daily this XJ while my prius is out indefinitely.

ps even while pulling 1500 rps the voltage struggles to sit at 13.5 with blower/lamps on. but eventually it will settle there.

battery tests good i think, 12.4-12.7 car off depending how long it's been sitting

Most alternators do not put out their maximum capacity at idle. A properly functioning alternator should output 13.8 - 14.4 volts at +1500 rpms.

Don't worry, your numbers are fine and normal.

Probably wouldn't hurt to go though and replace your battery and ground cables.

Probably wouldn't hurt to go though and replace your battery and ground cables.

I think you're right. just been avoiding it. the battery is kind of new 48 months maybe, but the cables are 23 years young.

I will also tighten the belt slightly, once in a blue moon the ps pump will slip in reverse, not sure if it's due to low voltage/idle in reverse or belt stretch.

I think you're right. just been avoiding it. the battery is kind of new 48 months maybe, but the cables are 23 years young.

I will also tighten the belt slightly, once in a blue moon the ps pump will slip in reverse, not sure if it's due to low voltage/idle in reverse or belt stretch.

Why not pickup the Kricket tool and set the tension properly?

Back