• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

noob with a 93 2wd cherokee!

I agree. Its in great shape. Not bad for the money. Also, I agree on the S-10 leaf springs. Start there, get your self a used set from which ever source suits you best. Probably for around $100 I'd say. Install them and see how much lift you gain. After you have that measurement, lift the front accordingly. You will need the coils, at least the lower control arms, longer shocks, extended brake lines, an adjustable track bar or lowering bracket, and depending how high you go, I'd say a drop pitman arm. You can also get the pitman are out of a V8 Grand Cherokee ZJ. While you are sourcing out the ZJ, grab the tierod and all of thast type of stuff. You can find people parting them out on Craigslist.com and get the parts for next to nothing. If you gain any more then 3 inches total lift on the Jeep, Yes. grab the "transfer case" lowering kit. They are nothing more the steel bars or poly type pucks. It will help you keep your driveline angle in the rear at proper specs. It will reduce vibrations. A locker will help you in offroad conditions. It will give you traction to both wheels when under acceleration or constant speed. When you left off the gas to negotiate a turn, it will act as an "open" diff and create less wear on your tires and drive line. Its a great addition to any Jeep. I'd stick with 31in tires. that Jeep most likely has a Dana 35 rear axle. Not the strongest jeep offered. 31s should give your axle no problems. Lastly, I also agree to doing it yourself. These Jeeps are fairly simply to work on. Grab a repair manual, educate yourself by reading a lot of good info on this site and many others like it, and give it a shot. Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions. The only STUPID question is the question NOT asked. Do it right, learn some stuff and have fun!!! Good luck!!

welcome aboard, dont let the naysayers scare you off, installing a lift is nothing...

its allways nice to have new people from differant scene's

lifting a jeep is like dropping a car, a little bit of suspension heigh change isnt very difficult, but the farther you go, the more shit gets in the way... 6.5 takes a LOT of modification/cash to run

Dont get me wrong I am always down for people to lift or work on there own vehicles, but when they ask "if they need a T case drop on a 2wd or is all I need to lift it is 6.5" coil springs" thats when I would say to get some help.

I see what happens all the time when people try install lift, gears or other aftermarkets stuff and they can finish it. It comes in to my shop or others like mine on a tow truck and cost more then it would have to do in the first place.

I will be the first person to try help someone to work on there rig themselves.

ufvj217 I hope I am not scaring you away from working on your rig, please do if you need any help its what I do for a living feel free to ask me or anyone else here any questions you may have Good luck. I dont know too much about the S10 leafs but I would recommend with a 2wd that you do a selectable locker that way you can engage it and disengage when needed.

Last edited:
go buty the higfh performance xj book and read it...then read it again.. you can read it 2 or 3 times in a few days then you will have a idea what u want. Build a basterd pack, 2 leaf packs mix and matched together. Add the 3.5 coils, and get an adjustable track bar. you will look good and ride good.

pm me if yopu got any questons im buildin my sister a 2 wheel xj for mostly looks and a little off road be glad to help and i got picks of my 4x4 conversion.

Dont get me wrong I am always down for people to lift or work on there own vehicles, but when they ask "if they need a T case drop on a 2wd or is all I need to lift it is 6.5" coil springs" thats when I would say to get some help.

I see what happens all the time when people try install lift, gears or other aftermarkets stuff and they can finish it. It comes in to my shop or others like mine on a tow truck and cost more then it would have to do in the first place.

I will be the first person to try help someone to work on there rig themselves.

ufvj217 I hope I am not scaring you away from working on your rig, please do if you need any help its what I do for a living feel free to ask me or anyone else here any questions you may have Good luck. I dont know too much about the S10 leafs but I would recommend with a 2wd that you do a selectable locker that way you can engage it and disengage when needed.

it sounds to me like he's just never been under the jeep to look for a t/c... 99% of naxja talks about 4x4's as if thats the only way jeep made the cherokee's... maybe he wasnt thinking, whatever.

ive got faith in him, its not that hard. the more you lurk around here the easier it will be though

You will need the coils, at least the lower control arms, longer shocks, extended brake lines, an adjustable track bar or lowering bracket, and depending how high you go, I'd say a drop pitman arm.

Probably dont NEED lower control arms. I run 3.5" of lift and run stock control arms. Probably not the best option, but it gets the job done until I go bigger and need to spend large amounts of money. :laugh:

You can also get the pitman are out of a V8 Grand Cherokee ZJ. While you are sourcing out the ZJ, grab the tierod and all of thast type of stuff.
Junkyards are great places, you will learn to love them if you haven't already :D Plenty of mods and upgrades you can do by picking apart different makes/models of vehicles. Anything from (as Harleyhector said) lift parts, to better alternators, etc etc.

I'd stick with 31in tires. that Jeep most likely has a Dana 35 rear axle. Not the strongest jeep offered. 31s should give your axle no problems.
I would put money on it having an C8.25. I have a 93 that has the C8.25. The Chrysler 8.25 axle is not as bad as the Dana 35 and should hold well for you at 31" tires. I currently run 33" tires on them and it is fine for the wheeling I do. One other thing you will want to look into is regearing your axle. Is your XJ an automatic or a manual? If you go to 31" tires it may be very easy to "regear" You can search for and find a full axle in a junkyard that has deeper gears already and save some money that way. Should be no more than a couple hundred dollars for a full axle and it will be a simple bolt in swap.

Lastly, I also agree to doing it yourself. These Jeeps are fairly simply to work on. Grab a repair manual, educate yourself by reading a lot of good info on this site and many others like it, and give it a shot.
x2! :thumbup:

i got 4.5" of lift from my s10 springs, by cutting the eyes off the main leaf, removing all of the stock xj leafs except the main leaf, and bolted the s10 pack to the xj main leaf. flexed ok, rode like a champ, and was CHEAP! the cheap and easy was my favorite part of the whole deal!
btw, the s10 pickup springs give 4.5, and the blazer springs done the same way give 3"

Looks good, and with only 150K on it it's hardly broken in.

Do yourself a favor, don't "ghetto" repair the floor, that kind of "repair" is a bad habit to get into, if you fix it right the first time you won't have to fix it again later.

If welding in new metal isn't reasonable and the hole isn't that big you can make a very good repair with POR-15 and fiberglass cloth. My truck had a soft spot in the floor (rusted enough you could see light through the pinholes but still pretty solid), I used that technique and it's solid as a rock, and will stay that way for many years.

Welcome. 2WD's make great prerunners,a little lift and 31" BFG AT's,locker, hit the sand and have a blast.Also, good shocks are always worth the money, enjoy.:)

Here you go 3" lift, bald 35" tires,2wd,welded rearend and cut fenders.I know it isnt what you want for yours ,But I had fun with mine.I ran the piss out of it and never broke a thing on it.I have moved onto my 4wd cherokee now but sometimes I miss the simple ride of the 2wd.
DSC00021.jpg

Back