• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No start, weird spark

Here is the thread where the link is for syncronizing the cam shaft is and it works. Lots of reading, but worth it.
http://208.101.10.250/~naxjaor1/forum/showthread.php?t=1019659&highlight=toothpick+method

good luck!!

After reading through the entire article, here's the tip: "Bringing the crankshaft around to zero degrees top dead center (TDC) compression, I removed the cam sensor and checked the hole in the vane where it was supposed to line up with the hole in the housing by inserting a toothpick through both holes.... Normal timing chain stretch must have allowed the cam sensor to work itself slightly out of line, and the rest is history."

I'm not looking at the Jeep right now, but are these holes obvious? I can't picture them off the top of my head...

My biggest question is would this even have any effect on SPARK at all? From everything I've read and heard, the cam sensor functions to synchronize fuel timing with spark, thus it does not actually have anything to do with spark generation...

My biggest question is would this even have any effect on SPARK at all? From everything I've read and heard, the cam sensor functions to synchronize fuel timing with spark, thus it does not actually have anything to do with spark generation...

Correct.

This is one of those never-ending, drag-it-out till the last dog is dead threads.

Melted CPS/CKP crank sensor--why? Crap stuck in the timing notches of the flywheel KILLING spark.

Options:

1. Pull the transmission so the flywheels condition can be ascertained, then clean or replace as necessary.

2. With transmission out, attempt to determine what in the HELL caused the melted CPS/CKP, so the replacement won't end up the same.

3. Continue P/ing around.

I'm out of here.

OP--good luck.

I'm going to see how difficult it is to pull the transmission and get access to the flywheel with my limited work environment. Chances are I'll have to bite the bullet and take this beast to a shop. :(

Thanks for all of the help and knowledge everybody!

See if you can borrow a shop or a second brain for a bit... the MWC seems like a pretty good crew, hopefully at least one of them is in your area and interested. Pulling the tranny isn't going to be fun in a back yard but can be done. I really do wonder what melted/screwed up the CPS in the first place, and that bit of metal stuck in the timing notch does not bode well. It's gotta have something to do with the problem.

Back