• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No start, terrible fuel pump relay buzz

sloppypancakes

NAXJA Forum User
So I searched and searched and couldn't find this issue, forgive me if it's there and I didn't see it :/

I have a 1988 XJ 4.0 that I just swapped a 1990 XJ 4.0 engine and AW4 tranny into. It's not starting, it will crank but, no start. On top of that, I have a very prominent buzzing sound coming from my fuel pump relay that wasn't there before. This buzz starts when the key is turned to "ON" and lasts a few seconds. After this, I crank the engine and at that moment the buzzing continues until I return the key to "ON" and after a few seconds it stops. I replaced the CPS earlier after I found that I had no spark. Unfortunately, I don't have anyone here anymore to help me check for spark.

What I've done so far:
- Replaced grounds(new): firewall to head, battery to block, battery to fender and, added ground to alternator housing.
- Replaced Alternator(new)
- Replaced battery(new)
- Replaced battery terminals and cables(new)
- Replaced starter(used)
- Replaced CPS(new)

I am not sure what is going on or even if the buzzing has anything to do with my start issues :banghead:. Any help is greatly appreciated! THANKS!

My xj does this from time to time. I believe the computer is the culprit. When it happens I pull the positive battery wire and ground it out for 30 sec or so. Then put it back on. It always starts afterwards. I should replace the computer but this works and I'm lazy. Hope it helps ya

X2 on the computer. I swapped a fuel pump one time on a 87 and when it was fried that was the initial symptom. Check your power to the relay with an analog meter and is likely bouncing the needle.

hmmm, i hope its not my computer, that's pricey. also, i still have fuel pressure. I found this out by forgetting to connect the lead fuel line on the fuel rail and when I cranked the engine it sprayed fuel everywhere. I'm still not getting any spark...:confused:

I replaced the ignition coil and module, all relays, the ECU and, spark plug wires... still no spark. I am having a fuel leak issue at the fuel rail on the line closest to the front of the jeep. I guess I can't reuse those fuel line connectors? I don't know, I guess I need to find some new ones. Anyone have any input?

Back